Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Good Windshield for Shorter Riders (Read 19 times)
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Good Windshield for Shorter Riders
08/06/04 at 06:46:18

Just thought I would share my thoughts as a smaller rider (just under five feet).  I recently installed a Memphis Slims 15" windshield and am very happy with it.  The 15" works great for me (tilted in).  It is easy to see over and I do not get any helmet buffeting.  They say it is better to look over it vs. through it -- if you get caught in the rain it is hard to see through a rain splattered windshield.

Of course, the right size depends on your height.  I am posting this because it was something I really struggled with -- it was hard to figure out which size windshield would be right for me.  In the end I followed some guidelines I found online which said when you are sitting on the bike, the top of the windshield should be between the tip and bridge of your nose.  With that in mind, a taller rider would typically want a taller windshield (the Slim comes in 17" too).

It is a quick change one so it comes on and off in under a minute which I like since I like to ride without it too.  It was very easy to install -- took less than 15 minutes for the initial mount.  Since I have a purple bike, I got the one with the purple gradient:  I like the way it looks with the purple -- it could be a girl thing.  Grin  The windshield is available in clear and a solar tint as well.

7/12/05 -- Updated pic link
Here's a pic:

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Re: Good Windshield for Shorter Riders
Reply #1 - 08/06/04 at 09:54:55

funny you should post this.

one of the windsheild brackets(for lack of better term) that are glued to the sheild came apart this morning on my ride in.

will probably use jb weld for a quick fix today. but a new windsheild is in my somewhat immediate future.

the other(previously broken) bracket was epoxied back on by my boss using the weld and it held up fine in today's very windy weather...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/04 at 10:39:21

Susan are you in sales? Your missing a good opportunity if not!!!  Grin Tongue

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #3 - 08/06/04 at 14:46:23

well, we shall see if my windsheild, currently held in place by zipties, will get home without being lost on the road.
jb weld needs 24 hours to cure. and the zipties have a tensile strength of 50 pounds.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/06/04 at 20:49:01

I have a small shield that clamps to the bars, but I really don't use it.  It was designed for more straight bars, but it'll work with a little fiddling.  Sunny, if you read this, your welcome to it if you ever ride through Venus.
I have a SlipStreamer that mounts to the forks, and curves outward around the grips, and I absolutely love it.  Won't ever take it off.  A guy on a Harley crashed in our ditch and I helped him out quite a bit.  Just so happened to be head mechanic at a bike store, and he got it for me for dealer cost, and gave me a $50 gift certificate to Outback Steakhouse, too.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 08/07/04 at 02:34:42

SadWell I am 5'-4 1/2" height with a 29-30" inseam and a few weeks ago picked up a Roadchrome M200 deflector shield (almost identical to National Cycle) and within 2 minutes of having the thing mounted on my Savage, I had it taken off again ... my short height combined with the Savage's low seat found me looking thru the shield instead of over it and I found the resulting glare kinda disconcerting ... I like to have a completely clear view of the road immeadiately in front of my Bike ...
Bike Shop took it back no questions asked and I rec'd a full refund.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/07/04 at 04:13:41

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Just thought I would share my thoughts as a smaller rider (just under five feet).  I recently installed a Memphis Slims 15" windshield and am very happy with it.  The 15" works great for me (tilted in).  It is easy to see over and I do not get any helmet buffeting.  They say it is better to look over it vs. through it -- if you get caught in the rain it is hard to see through a rain splattered windshield.

Of course, the right size depends on your height.  I am posting this because it was something I really struggled with -- it was hard to figure out which size windshield would be right for me.  In the end I followed some guidelines I found online which said when you are sitting on the bike, the top of the windshield should be between the tip and bridge of your nose.  With that in mind, a taller rider would typically want a taller windshield (the Slim comes in 17" too).

It is a quick change one so it comes on and off in under a minute which I like since I like to ride without it too.  It was very easy to install -- took less than 15 minutes for the initial mount.  Since I have a purple bike, I got the one with the purple gradient:  I like the way it looks with the purple -- it could be a girl thing.  Grin  The windshield is available in clear and a solar tint as well.

If anyone wants to see it, I will be happy to post a pic.  

Yep, better to look over than through, for the very reason you state...and as you say, without the helmet buffeting too.

The Memphis Shades site is a good one with all the dimensions and guidelines.  We've bought from them too.

No more bugs on the face shield now  8)

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #7 - 08/07/04 at 06:10:44

[glow=red,2,300]MY kind of windshield: [/glow]

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 08/07/04 at 06:15:58

I have a pair of those....kinda adds a bumble bee look.  They are "over the glasses" goggles too.  Would be perfect on that bumble bee Savage  Shocked

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #9 - 08/07/04 at 06:19:53

That's why I got them.  The glasses over glasses thing, not the bumble bee part.

Meantime, while everyone else is trying to make their bikes unique, they all wear the same friggin eyewear.  Not me.   8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/07/04 at 08:15:28

I bet those go well with your sticker covered turtle shell and wanna-be orange and black jacket, too.  Just kidding...

This must be how you really look

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #11 - 08/07/04 at 10:30:27

In answer to cphillip's question, I am not in sales.  Roll Eyes  

So many people have helped me with various projects, I just wanted to share something back.  I just has such a hard time figuring out which windshield was right, I thought I might be able to help someone else avoid my dilemma.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #12 - 08/07/04 at 21:03:45

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I bet those go well with your sticker covered turtle shell and wanna-be orange and black jacket, too.  Just kidding...

This must be how you really look

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/215/215131/folders/156326/1176641B...

Nope. I wear a flat black shorty helmet with a chrome visor, no 'stache, and more bugs on my teeth...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 08/08/04 at 03:11:18

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Nope. I wear a flat black shorty helmet with a chrome visor, no 'stache, and more bugs on my teeth...

Grin

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 08/09/04 at 07:46:30

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
well, we shall see if my windsheild, currently held in place by zipties, will get home without being lost on the road.
jb weld needs 24 hours to cure. and the zipties have a tensile strength of 50 pounds.

Did you make it home with the windshield intact?   Shocked

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 11:43:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Good Windshield for Shorter Riders