Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
electrical problem? (Read 10 times)
fusionfighter2k

electrical problem?
11/16/04 at 18:58:50

i'm back Roll Eyes

this time it sounds like an electrical problem.

i took off the gas tank and seats to see if i could...it ran before i did it

when i put it all back, the rear turn signals don't light up all the time(not sure if it did that before), also now she doesn't start up at all.  i charged the battery and made sure i had fuel flowing .  

i turned the bike on and hit the start button.  the bike made a click sound then all power went out.  I tried again after a couple seconds with the same result.  

i also noticed my sidestand light isn't lighting up.  which shouldn't matter when i'm starting the bike in neutral right?

someone please help me out....its in the 60's here in VA and its killin me not to be able to ride.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: electrical problem?
Reply #1 - 11/16/04 at 22:31:17

i had a simular problem.  i solved it by unplugging and replugging all the connectors.. it was the big green one.

try that, for a simple fix. if that doesn;t work i'm sure someone here will be able to help.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 11/17/04 at 02:04:11

Back to the beginning.....

You took off the tank and seats to "see if you could"?  That means that you were just tinkering, and everything was okay before you started, right?

I'd take the tank back off, and go to the "Technical Corner" and look through the electrical section.  Check for a loose connection, a wire pinched against the frame (shorted), and check the fuses, too.

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #3 - 11/17/04 at 10:20:29

There is no sidestand light - not electrically connected anyway.  There IS a neutral light.

Rear turn signals don't come on as stock - only if you have changed them to be running lights.  As long as they come on when you put on the turn signal, they are fine.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/18/04 at 03:07:44

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
There is no sidestand light - not electrically connected anyway.  There IS a neutral light.

Rear turn signals don't come on as stock - only if you have changed them to be running lights.  As long as they come on when you put on the turn signal, they are fine.

From what I understand, the earlier Savages had a side stand light....I think  ???

You are right about the rear turn signals...no running lights when stock.

I think that we need more info

IP Logged
fusionfighter2k

Reply #5 - 11/18/04 at 05:34:29

great news and bad news

Sluggo was right on about that green plug.
i actually got it started w/ choke but closed the choke and it died.

so i start putting it back together and i try running again but now it seems like its not getting fuel to the carb.  which is crazy cuz its set on PRI and theres gas in the carb.  

is this a possible clogged jet?
i don't wanna open up my carb unless i have to.  i'm gonna buy some fresh gas and pray thats the reason.

oh and i guess i dont have a sidestand light....got confused w/ the nighthawk.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/19/04 at 14:13:09

fusionfighter2k wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
great news and bad news

Sluggo was right on about that green plug.
i actually got it started w/ choke but closed the choke and it died.

so i start putting it back together and i try running again but now it seems like its not getting fuel to the carb.  which is crazy cuz its set on PRI and theres gas in the carb.  

is this a possible clogged jet?
i don't wanna open up my carb unless i have to.  i'm gonna buy some fresh gas and pray thats the reason.

oh and i guess i dont have a sidestand light....got confused w/ the nighthawk.

First thing that comes to mind is..."Why would you have a clooged jet or a carb problem, when you simply removed the tank?"  They are unrelated unless you have a couple gremlins running around dumping things in your fuel line.  After all, you seldom have 2 problems at the same time.

Second, why would you expect the gas to be old?  Gas doesn't do that that quickly.  How do you know there is gas in your carb?  Did you drain the bowl at the bottom?

How about the vacuum hose for the petcock?

Wasn't the bike just running okay a couple weeks ago before you removed the tank?  There's the problem.  Something that you did or didn't do in the process.  Or maybe 2 separate mistakes in the 2 processes.

As I said, back to the beginning....

IP Logged
fusionfighter2k

Reply #7 - 11/19/04 at 21:57:12

i had fuel in my carbs cuz i drained the fuel bowl several times.

i had fixed my petc0ck vacuum hose but it still wouldn't run very long on ON.  i figured it was just a petc0ck problem so i've been using PRI.

i just got my service manual so i'm gonna go ahead and clean the carb, change the oil, change out the head seal plug.  

well when i put the tank back on it started fine and everything.  then i turned the power off and rechecked the connection to the speedo because i thought i was supposed to have a sidestand light on and i must've loosened the green plug cuz the electrics kept cutting out.  when i finally figured out the electronic stuff the bike felt like it wanted to start but just couldn't get there.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/20/04 at 04:07:23

fusionfighter2k wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
i had fuel in my carbs cuz i drained the fuel bowl several times.

i had fixed my petc0ck vacuum hose but it still wouldn't run very long on ON.  i figured it was just a petc0ck problem so i've been using PRI.

i just got my service manual so i'm gonna go ahead and clean the carb, change the oil, change out the head seal plug.  

well when i put the tank back on it started fine and everything.  then i turned the power off and rechecked the connection to the speedo because i thought i was supposed to have a sidestand light on and i must've loosened the green plug cuz the electrics kept cutting out.  when i finally figured out the electronic stuff the bike felt like it wanted to start but just couldn't get there.

Your electrical problem was up here?

Does the starter turn over the engine?

If not do you hear a click when you push the starter button?

Does the headlight come on with the ignition switch?

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #9 - 11/20/04 at 23:29:50

<FINALLY GOT MY PASSWORD WORKING>

ok the starter DOES turn over the engine.

my electrical problem was more underneath the seat area.

all my electrics work now.  its getting fuel through the carb that i seem to be having a problem with.

the fuel bowl is full cuz i've drained it several times.  i have a good spark and the engine turns over.  it just won't start.  the last time it started was when i figured out the electrical problem and i got it running with the choke on(PRI, and i revved it a lil).  then i turned off the choke and let it die.  

well its late here i'm going to sleep.

i'll get back to workin on it tomorrow

IP Logged
fusionfighter2k

Reply #10 - 11/28/04 at 12:31:46

does a weak spark not have any blue sparks at all?

i'm getting a spark but i'm not getting a blue spark or its barely visible.  this is using a brand new plug too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 11:43:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › electrical problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.