Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Riding Gear (Read 8 times)
cphilip
Ex Member

Riding Gear
11/06/04 at 08:23:44

Are you kidding... we never started a topic on this here? I can't find one outside of Susan's one on chaps.... Although I could have missed it I suppose.... so I guess we go at it then?

Ok, I normaly wear a Joe Rocket Pheonix 3.0 jacket. Around here the mesh is the way to go with the normaly hot weather we ride in. And even if its a tad cool, when you put the liner in it becomes a decent cool weather jacket with the addition of a thick shirt under it. And can be had for 100 bucks. Nice padding, removable and comes with water proof liner thats fairly wind proor too and decent quality. If you get it in black its not too sports bike looking. If anyone is looking for one of these and wants a link of how to get one for 99 bucks plus shipping I got that. Just ask. Comes in around 114 shipped.  I wear this one most of the year with the liner in if around like 45 or so.

Now that being said for the few months of dead cold I just scored a Harley Davidson FXRG leather jacket. Considered Medium weight but actually is heavy weight for here. I don't know much about these at this point because this one is still on the way to me. It was slightly used. I like this particular model because it does not have a lot of Harley markings on it. Its almost subtle in its name brand. Hard to see it. Only marked by one small logo on there. Very nicely made from what I saw. I have seen them at shops and drooled over them but never would have spent almost $600 for a jacket. I scored this one for $200 which I felt was reasonable. In perfect condition with the liner. The guy only wore it twice. I think they are over priced otherwise... but I will pay that much for one. Never $500-600... I expect this one to go on when its going to be 45 or less and not get above 60 all day. Or some night riding in cool to cold weather. So this will be about three months off and on a year here in SC.  If anyone has any comments on this jacket I would appreciate them.

I normaly just wear jeans and steel toed 6" boots otherwise. Outside of my helmet.

I wear a HCI full face flip up most of the time. I find the flip ups preferable because I do not have to take my glasses off to put them on. I realize they cannot be SNELL rated because SNELL does not have a procedure to rate flip ups as of yet and so does not. But I feel fairly confident in them. I do also have a Brain Bucket I sometimes wear around town and on my scooters. A Bell.

I have a set of First Gear cold weather gloves and a pair of Olympia perforated gloves for hot weather. Like both of these. The Cold weather ones are kind of stiff. So I wear them only when its just to cold not too. But they may just need more wearing in and might soften up.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Riding Gear
Reply #1 - 11/06/04 at 11:18:32

I have wanted to try a flip face, for a quick drink or to say something.  Lips Sealed
In addition, I feel safer w/ a full face in city traffic.
Do you have to move your head down to see the speedo & turn indicators w/ that flip shield?

I have a black HJC ½ helmet that was given to me by a Harley guy after he sold the bike.
I like it in town, later at night  when traffic is gone, because you can hear.
I have a good black Shoei RJ ¾

that seals up good.
For touring, I removed the thin speakers from the set of open-air headphones that come w/ the Sony and Velcro them w/ their padding into the helmet or I also have a set of Seinheiser ear buds that will work for shorter rides sometimes. I prefer the in-helmet speakers for comfort. I use the new Sony digital AM/FM/Weather band Walkman

you can’t beat it for price/sound/reception.
One rechargeable Ni-MH AAA battery works for days.
The weather band can come in handy and has overruled an urge to explore new territory by warning of bad weather.  Wink
Safety glasses are worn alone the 1st month or 2nd riding months of the year, but the bugs get thicker & bigger here in the MS delta as spring goes on. About the end of April, I lose the breeze and I put on a clear, flat face shield w/ Shoei shade (duckbill?) the shade balances the aero down force produced by the face shield well. The bottom edge of the shield sometimes masks my hard-to see-midday turn indicators.
As summer heats up to July and August the jacket often disappears (or I put on my air-conditioned, full coverage GMC truck)
A cell phone is inside the jacket in case of break down, it does ring on occasion, and I usually ignore it.
If I am expecting and receive an important call, by the time I find a place to pull over, unzip my heavy 1st Racing jacket, pull out my phone,  you're lucky if it’s still ringing.
If it is, it usually stops ringing as I am unfastening and removing the helmet and then I may return the call.
The jacket feels like 10 pounds w/ the snap in thinsulate liner in it and I was lucky some guy in Alaska decided to let me steal it on auction after the short season for 75 bucks! It is a bit large and Heavy clothes can be added for cool weather.
I have a pair of high top shoes w/ mesh tongue for summer and insulated high top boots for cooler weather.
I have three pairs of gloves from thin mesh top to insulated, worn depending on temperature.

Speaking of that  it's clear w/ hi of 70 this Saturday.
Gonna ride out and scare up some lunch!
Adios  8)

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #2 - 11/06/04 at 12:21:56

For summer riding I've been using a FirstGear nylon mesh jacket with soft pads over a Tee shirt. Bought the jacket at Newenough.com on sale. It's nice to have pockets for gloves and my wallet while out and about. I usually wear jeans but have a set of AVG ballistic nylon pants which I'll put on if I'm planning to challenge some twisties, already burned a hole in them with the muffler so I guess they are broken in. For colder weather I've been wearing one of those cheap leather motorcycle jackets bought off of E-Bay. Already had to have the zipper replaced which cost as much as the jacket did in the first place. I would of been better off just buying a good leather but it protected me last year when I took a spill so I'll keep it around. Cheap gear is better than no gear!!! Other cold weather gear includes long johns and a heavy wool sweater, wool socks and winter gloves. My brain bucket is a full faced ZRF-1, the first one did a real nice job of keeping the side of my head off of the pavement so I bought a replacement after that spill that I had. For my feet I have a pair of black leather laceup boots with no lining. That way the boots stay kind of cool in the summer and with heavy socks on they are warm in the winter. I haven't ridden in the rain yet so I'm not sure how water proof the boots will be. Most of my gear I bought piecemeal as I needed it instead of just going out and getting an outfit. Looking back it would of been easier and cheaper just to get a good leather jacket and chaps combo instead of piecing an outfit together. What is everybody else wearing out there?  Ride Safe

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/06/04 at 16:37:26

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I have wanted to try a flip face, for a quick drink or to say something.  Lips Sealed
In addition, I feel safer w/ a full face in city traffic.
Do you have to move your head down to see the speedo & turn indicators w/ that flip shield?

Yes you do have to nod down a tad to see those. Just like with any Full Face. And your hearing is a bit impaired as well. The same draw backs as with any full face.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/07/04 at 04:41:10

We have Nolan full face helmets with the flip-up chin guards.  A must if you wear glasses.

I have Alpinstars Waterproof Web boots.  Very waterproof, comfy with a toe reinforcement for the shifter, and built in shin and ankle splints.

We also have a set of Chatter Boxes for talking between bikes....we have to use the Push to Talk buttons because with louder pipes the VOX feature is useless Tongue  Nothing like listening to the other rider's pipe all the time.  Sort of dueling pipes in stereo  Cheesy

The rest is just leather, leather, leather.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/04 at 07:52:59

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
full face helmets with the flip-up chin guards.  A must if you wear glasses.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew thats the type I was talking about too.

Full face were they chin bar unlocks and flips up.... in addition to the viewing shield also can flip up. And yes indeedy... a must if you wear glasses.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/07/04 at 07:58:04

Yep, shields flip up too.  We normally use smoked shields since most of our riding is daytime...have to flip them up in tunnels, but they do prevent that sunburned nose issue  Shocked

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #7 - 11/10/04 at 15:10:55

for summer highway riding:
arlen ness jacket with ce armor and "oh so handy except at highway speeds" zippered airvents.
fingerless gloves - leaves neat looking tanned dots on  knuckles and on the back of the hands.
jeans
hiking boots

early fall:
summer jacket with the lining zipped back in.
olympia full fingered gloves
jeans
hiking boots

late fall:
leather policeman jacket
olympia gauntlet gloves
leather chaps over jeans
hiking boots
ski hat converted to neck cover

at all times i wear my full face helmet with clear face shield. for sunny days i wear shades in the helmet.

for winter:
well to quote gitarzan, i think i'll "wear a car".

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 11/11/04 at 01:26:40

I have two helmets a Nolan X-lite, with flip front for local trips and an Akito DTC 03 full face for longer trips.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #9 - 11/11/04 at 07:52:22

I've a pair of tinted WWI style aviator goggles that I can wear over my glasses.

Helmet-wise I've an HJC flat black half-helmet with ear pads, it a nice helmet.

But usually, I've been wearing a Vega chrome half helmet that isn't quite a beanie helmet but looks a lot more like one than the HJC.

Leather wear is just an old aviator jacket and gloves I had in the house. Not road worthy really, but good in brisk weather.

Boots are flat black leather Acme engineer boots I had on hand for about 12 years.

I do have a leather biker vest.  It's handy with it's deep pockets for holding a cell phone, gum, candy bars (I'm diabetic) etc.

I also have a tee shirt that says SEE NO EVO, HEAR NO EVO, RIDE NO EVO.  Grin

When it's hot riding I'll wear the vest with a tee shirt and jeans.  

I'm also fond of long sleeve henleys, and wear them riding a lot.  I've a striped one that I never wore before until I realized I could do a Lee Marvin with the vest and goggles (I skip the scarf however Cheesy).

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/11/04 at 12:37:57

Guys and gals... I just recieved this Harley Davidson FXRG jacket.... and let me just tell you.... its stunningly well built. I mean HEAVY soft leather. Liner is a darn nice jacket in itself. This thing is well put together and very strong. I mean yea.. over priced at MSRP of 600 bucks.. but well worth WELL over the 200 bucks I paid for it.

The seller had only worn it a couple times and it shows. Its absolutely mint condition. Very nice padding, removable, hardly any outward sign of Harley name on it... Kidney belt. Lots of zippers and those are stout as I have ever seen. Fits like a glove on me just like the sizing charts say. I was lucky to find this one an win the bid. It somehow got lost in the description and all the other ones I have seen have gone for well over $300. Most $350 or more used. $450 plus for new ones. Finding one in my size that the Seller did not use the FXRG in thier description and so it did not draw attention and I got it at $200 was most definately a big score. This is some Jacket.... I can tell already.

This is a really nice winter riding jacket for around here for certain. And a nice piece of work overall. Its no wonder it lists for so much money. It might be worth it!

Did I mention I really love this jacket?  Grin

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #11 - 11/29/04 at 09:51:19

ok. my black leather policeman style jacket is a bit too small for three layers. even two layers, if one is a denim shirt.

how do i go and get a new one that fits? do i wear what i plan on wearing under it to the store and try it on? or should i go by the number size and just get a size or two larger?

and does leather SHRINK with age?

yes. this is a WOMAN asking for advice on SHOPPING from a group consisting of mostly MEN.

what can i say, i failed shopping class when i was wee lass.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #12 - 11/29/04 at 11:58:29

Quote:
and does leather SHRINK with age?

It's because we expand with age, not that clothes shrink!  Grin

Wear what you would need to go on the coldest day you would ride - then you don't have to worry about it being too small.  Then take off the outer layers and see how it fits without that sweatshirt (or whatever).  Usually a jacket will be in-between enough to get by.

WWW   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #13 - 11/29/04 at 12:15:27

honestly, i didn't think that extra 20 pounds was going to make such a difference...

Embarrassed

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 11/30/04 at 06:56:25

sunny, in my experience leather does not shrink. I have had a leather jacket for 20 years that has not shrunk.

Regarding sizing, I've heard that you should buy a size or two up but I'd be cautious about that. You want the jacket to fit in all the right places - snug around your waist, armpits not hanging down too low (often an issue for me given my small size).

I would strongly recommend trying a few on with all the layers you might ride with to see what is comfortable. Once you know what will fit, you can then typically save money by buying the same jacket online.

Just my two cents.  Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 13:20:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding Gear