Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Oil Change time
11/04/04 at 04:49:21

Here is a Savage oil change...

Really!  Leave this oil pan for the car.  One of those long flat cake pans at the grocery store is cheaper and fits better, as long as it holds 2 quarts.

I also like to lift the bike off the side stand when draining, to get the old oil in the alternator cover too.

The oil can look bad, but the filter is still good to use.  I change them with every other oil change.

Check this o-ring for pinches or cracks.  If it's okay, use it again.

Don't forget the spring inside the cover.

Use a clean funnel.  I keep mine wrapped in an old rag to keep out bugs and dirt.

With practice you can learn to hold the bike vertical with one hand while checking the oil level.

« Last Edit: 12/04/12 at 12:07:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Oil Change time
Reply #1 - 10/03/05 at 13:45:36

What about the little O-ring, as shown in this parts fiche from bike banditdotcom, part # 10?    Is it reuseable?   (yes)

« Last Edit: 07/12/12 at 10:24:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/07 at 12:35:29

While you are  down there getting intimate with your bike, look under the belly for a black rubber puke tube with a plug in the end of it. It comes down from your airbox just behind the engine block.
Put a small pan or rag under it and remove the plug.
There will probably be some oil and water mix dribbling out of it. Let it drain, then replace the plug.
This puke tube gathers oil condensation and water condensation that forms in the air box from the engine breather. If not drained for too long a time, it can accumulate enough to go into the carb intake after gumming up the air filter.
'Taint good to ignore it. You are down there anyway and it costs nothing to drain it so just do it.
Your bike will appreciate the extra effort.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 10/19/08 at 05:46:38

Here is a close-up view of the oil drain plug location that may help first-timers.  This view is taken from under the front of the bike looking backwards. The kickstand would be to the right of this picture.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/23/09 at 23:28:04

ok newbs, pay close attention here...

Take a good look on how the filter sits in the pocket.  Notice there's little hole in the middle of the filter that you can stick your finger in.  Put it in backwards and this can happen to you!

Photo curtesy of BurnPgh

You got the filter in backwards.
The hole in the filter goes on the spud in the filter cavity (with a o-ring inbetween)
Then the spring which is on a spud on the cover.
You should be able to press the cover in place with your thumb while screwing it down.  If you can't push it up against the clutch cover, somethings wrong.

« Last Edit: 08/15/12 at 18:08:59 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 07/02/09 at 21:21:16

I had my bike  (see my signature) on the lift and was able to get a good shot of the oil drain plug:

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
cvsdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/16/16 at 21:38:06

Could someone add torque values for the drainplug and filter cover screws to this page?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/16/16 at 22:06:17

ITEM               N-m      |      ft-lb
Oil      12.0      18.0      |      8.8      13.3
drain plug
Oil          6.0      8.0      |      4.4      5.9
filter cap nut & oil sump filter cap bolt

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/20/21 at 11:13:55

How To Change Oil - Suzuki Boulevard S40 / Savage

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/07/22 at 04:36:54

Good instructions and video. The video shows it, but to emphasize - the spring ‘holding’ the oil filter goes in between the filter and the external side cover.  I just changed the filter on a project bike I bought and the previous person had put the spring in between the filter and the engine side.

I’m wondering what the impact of that will be.  The bike isn’t running - so this really makes me wonder if there is some kind of serious internal engine damage.

IP Logged
rovingeyes
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/05/23 at 19:55:03

Do you always use an OEM filter? I see that K&M have a filter that fits to but don't have any experience with them.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/06/23 at 05:31:19

K&N (kn137) costs about $12.  OEM costs about $7. Hiflofiltro (hf137) costs about $4.  K&N claims to be the god of air/oil filtration.  I personally think you are paying for the name.  They all catch little crap and they all allow oil to pass thru them.  The Hiflo seems on par with the OEM for a few bucks less.  Trying to be fair to K&N, the filter casing seems to be a bit more rigid/solid, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra money.  I change oil about every 1000 miles (frequently) and change the filter every other oil change.  I am also now a believer in Shell Rotella T4 (conventional oil, dyno juice) - 15w-40w.  It’s cheap, safe for motorcycles with wet clutch, and it has the zinc additive which our little thumpers seem to like.  My clutch performance noticeably improved when I switched from a motorcycle-specific Valvoline synthetic to good ole Rotella T4 for less than half the price.

IP Logged
rovingeyes
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/07/23 at 07:26:35

ThumperPaul, thanks for the info.  This is the first motorcycle I've owned and would never have known about using Shell Rotella T4.  There are a lot of opinions out there on the net regarding T4 and they seem to be favorable. I'll also stick to using the OEM filter.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 02/07/23 at 08:06:06

If needed due to Rotella T4 not being available, Valvoline’s oil for diesel trucks also has ZZDP and cost is similar to Rotella.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 02/07/23 at 13:32:17

Hey Lancer.  Glad you chimed in!  Wanna start an oil war again?  Lol.  You know I’m a Valvoline guy, but I drank the dyno juice and I’m hooked!  I like that the Rotella has MA/MA2 in the specs.  Valvoline would probably pass the mustard too, but they just didn’t spend the bucks getting the certification.  Here go the oil wars again!  Lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:09:23

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Oil Change time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.