YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
PLEASE HELP
11/01/04 at 20:17:10

<sigh>
my bike left me stranded by the road tonite

i managed to park her in a nearby school but i'm not sure what's wrong with her.

heres what happened.  i'm riding and i slow down to like 10-15mph in 3rd and she started hesitating so i put a lil more throtle.  then she back fired 3-4 times and then just started losing power.  i pulled over and i tried to start her up again but she wouldn't start.  it turns over but just won't start.  then i tried again and it ran weak for like 5 seconds then a flame came out of the exhaust.(orange if it matters).

i nice rider on a bandit came by to see if i was ok and he suggested the reserve.  tried it...nothing.

i have plenty of gas.  so i figured it could be either the spark plug or the carb.  i mean it has been sitting for like 3 months or so before i got it.  

i need suggestions....also is the spark plug something i can pick up from a local automotive store?

thanks

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: PLEASE HELP
Reply #1 - 11/01/04 at 20:44:05

Sorry to hear about your trouble.  I moved your topic to Rubber Side Down as I think more people will see it here.  Also the Technical Corner is more for long-term technical documents.

We have a lot of really smart mechanically-minded folks in here so I'm sure some will weigh in soon with some ideas for you.  Hope you're up and running soon.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/01/04 at 21:13:16

I am going to say you should pull that spark plug and look at it as it may have fouled when you dumped it into 3rd at such a low speed (especially if it had sat for 3 months).  You may be able to get it at a local auto parts store...but them darn autolite spark plugs are slightly smaller than the NGK or Nippon Denso plugs (I think 11/16" instead of 18mm) so be careful about using the sparkplug tool on it.  You will probably need to write down the sparkplug number for the auto parts store.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/02/04 at 03:48:13

tarheel365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
<sigh>
my bike left me stranded by the road tonite

i managed to park her in a nearby school but i'm not sure what's wrong with her.

heres what happened.  i'm riding and i slow down to like 10-15mph in 3rd and she started hesitating so i put a lil more throtle.  then she back fired 3-4 times and then just started losing power.  i pulled over and i tried to start her up again but she wouldn't start.  it turns over but just won't start.  then i tried again and it ran weak for like 5 seconds then a flame came out of the exhaust.(orange if it matters).

i nice rider on a bandit came by to see if i was ok and he suggested the reserve.  tried it...nothing.

i have plenty of gas.  so i figured it could be either the spark plug or the carb.  i mean it has been sitting for like 3 months or so before i got it.  

i need suggestions....also is the spark plug something i can pick up from a local automotive store?

thanks

I wouldn't expect the spark plug to cause you a sudden break down, but I would suspect something with the electrical system as the culprit.  

Since you have plenty of gasoline in the tank, open the bowl drain screw at the bottom of the carb a little bit.  Does gas come out?

Before buying a plug, I'd pull the one installed, and check the color and condition.  Also, check your battery for proper voltage.

When you get the bike home (if not already), let us know what you find.

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #4 - 11/02/04 at 04:58:45

thanks

its still in the school lot.  i gotta get it transported to my house.  

if gas comes out thats good right?
could a gunked up carb or fuel line cause this?
could it also be the octane rating on the gas i used?
i think i put in 87 out of habbit.

do i have to remove the tank to get to the spark plug?
well good thing its at the end of riding season.

thanks for the help

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/02/04 at 05:45:48

thanks

its still in the school lot.  i gotta get it transported to my house.  

Yes, before kids screw it up.  Luckily, a lot of schools are closed today for the election.

Quote:
if gas comes out thats good right?

Yes, because that eliminates one possibilty.

Quote:
could a gunked up carb or fuel line cause this?

Unlikely if it was running fine before it died.  There could be foreign gunk in the carb, but if you drain it into a glass jar you'll see.  Turn the petc_o_c_k to the PRI position (rearward) to ensure gas flows.  That action also tends to flush the float needle..  If there is water or crud, it will be in the bottom of the jar and you can see it.  And then you may know your next course of action.

Quote:
could it also be the octane rating on the gas i used?  i think i put in 87 out of habbit.

No.  Absolutely not.  The Savage is intended to run on 87 octane.

Quote:
do i have to remove the tank to get to the spark plug?  well good thing its at the end of riding season.

Most likely it isn't a plug that 'just died", but it could have gotten fouled as PRH said because you were going too slow in 3rd.  But stalling doesn't normally cause fouling plugs.

To get to the plug, you'll at least need to raise the tank alittle to get to the bolts holding the chrome trim cover.  Then you can get to the plug.  Yep, gotta take the fuel and vacuum lines off (with petc_o_c_k down in ON position).

Quote:
thanks for the help

Any time.  Good luck.

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #6 - 11/02/04 at 07:28:16

now that i think about it.....i think it may be fouled plugs.

i'm not used to the choke being on the side and i forget to turn it off sometimes.  

i don't think she has a toolkit either, what size sparkplug wrench do i need?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 11/02/04 at 07:35:54

i'm not used to the choke being on the side and i forget to turn it off sometimes.  

Okay, if you left the choke on that could kill the bike.  Also, since it isn't a 2 stroke, fouled plugs are not as serious.  If you snuffed it with the choke, then simply turning off the choke and hitting the starter may start the engine.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/02/04 at 07:42:40

I could not find a single plug wrench that would work other than the Suzuki toolkit plug tool.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/02/04 at 07:51:08

In case you don't know it is pretty easy to check the plug (just hard to get it out).  Ground the outer metal of the plug with the plug wire still attached and try to start her up...if it is fouled there will be no spark in the gap.  If it isn't fouled there will be spark in the gap.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/02/04 at 08:01:44

PRH111 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
In case you don't know it is pretty easy to check the plug (just hard to get it out).  Ground the outer metal of the plug with the plug wire still attached and try to start her up...if it is fouled there will be no spark in the gap.  If it isn't fouled there will be spark in the gap.

Also, hold the plug with some insulated pliers and don't look directly at the spark plug hole.  Both can surprise you.

Aside from that it isn't easy to do without a helper, since you have to hold the clutch and push the starter button and hold the plug.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/02/04 at 21:37:08

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Also, hold the plug with some insulated pliers and don't look directly at the spark plug hole.  Both can surprise you.

Aside from that it isn't easy to do without a helper, since you have to hold the clutch and push the starter button and hold the plug.

I just tied the clutch down with a piece of twine.  I did forget to mention the insulated pliers though!  (doh!)

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #12 - 11/03/04 at 04:57:33

got it started thanks everyone.

i replaced the plug (it was black)
i also noticed the black hose from the petcock to the carb had been disconnected and i had no gas.  i dunno how that hose came off.

an 18mm deepsocket and an extension for a ratchet will work to take out the spark plug...but u need pliers to pull it out.

but now she runs flawlessly....i'm gonna check the plug later today to see any discoloration......and the weather here is still beautiful.

ride safe!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 11/03/04 at 06:23:13

got it started thanks everyone.

i replaced the plug (it was black)
i also noticed the black hose from the petcock to the carb had been disconnected and i had no gas.  i dunno how that hose came off.

an 18mm deepsocket and an extension for a ratchet will work to take out the spark plug...but u need pliers to pull it out.

but now she runs flawlessly....i'm gonna check the plug later today to see any discoloration......and the weather here is still beautiful.

ride safe!

Well, that's a lesson.  You just ran out of gas.  Never expect hoses to come off without knowing....

You mean the smaller black hose with the spring around it?  If so, that turned off your petc_o_c_k.  If you had flipped it to the PRI position (not knowing about the hose) the bike would have started.  That hose should also have a little spring clip on it to keep it in place...but those can get lost.

Lugging it at slow speed in 3rd is what caused it to be black.  If it had been running nice and hot before a normal shut down, it probably would have been tan color.  It really wasn't necessary to change the plug, but since you did you at least learned something.  If the bike is running "flawlessly", I wouldn't even check it again.  Unless you just want to..... Cheesy

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #14 - 11/03/04 at 06:35:58

the thing i don't understand is......i thought i had plenty of gas.  and when i was on the side of the road....we put the petcock in all the settings(res,pri,on) to see if we could start it.  but it didn't start.  if i ran out of gas shouldn't i have gas in reserve?

when the hose disconnects is it possible for gas to come out?

how do i stop the rear brake from squeeking?  its soo annoying!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 13:39:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PLEASE HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.