Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
S40/Savage questions
10/29/04 at 07:58:59

The new S40 is one of the bikes I'm considering.I'm a 50 year old rider of 40 years experience.A few questions.What kind of gas mileage does the S40/Savage get?I usually tend to get better mpg than many riders for some reason on the bikes I"ve owned.Also, I know the tank is pretty tiny, so what kind of riding range do you get?How much gas/miles remain when you go on reserve?
   I would use the bike for it all:65 mile per day commute;fun, back road riding;some trips-maybe 2-4 days, and not real long ones.I'm 5'10" and about 195 pounds.I haven't test rode a Savage yet, but I am an old thumper fan, so I'm considering the S40?Savage, and the Buell Blast.

Thanks, Jon Neet

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
lagagnon
Ex Member

Re: S40/Savage questions
Reply #1 - 10/29/04 at 08:33:34

Hi Jon: I get 4.5 litres per 100km. Sorry don't know how that translates to MPG, but essentially I get about 230-250 km per tankful (including the reserve), depending on whether mostly city or highway riding. So that works out to 143-155 miles per tankful in your antique measuring system.

Hope that helps...

Larry Gagnon

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/29/04 at 09:37:25

lagagnon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hi Jon: I get 4.5 litres per 100km. Sorry don't know how that translates to MPG, but essentially I get about 230-250 km per tankful (including the reserve), depending on whether mostly city or highway riding. So that works out to 143-155 miles per tankful in your antique measuring system.

Hope that helps...

Larry Gagnon

"Antique measuring system"?  I heard that  Cheesy  Actually our measuring system is newer than the metric one...but metrics do make more sense...anyway...

As for Jon's question, our antique answer will be more helpful because he will have an antique speedo and antique gas pumps to fill up the tank.  You'll get about 60 mpg with the stock bike, or as he says, about 135 miles to a tank.

I get about 110 miles before reserve, and it is good for about 25 additional miles*.

*(disclaimer: mileage may vary depending on riding habits, altitude, temperature, humidity, luggage, body weight, wind direction, traffic, spills, choke position, rpms, tire size, windshields, and ignition switch position)  8)

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/29/04 at 11:03:00

A tank of gas lasts about as long as your Ass will stand riding without a break.... Nuff said.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 10/29/04 at 11:43:58

cphilip is pretty much right on that one.  i call it the butt sore rating.

my 04 can get between 83-87 miles before reserve generally.

then i can count on about 20-24 on reserve.

i've taken as far as 34 till dead empty on reserve but

you're milage may very..  

enjoy..  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #5 - 10/29/04 at 15:33:29

I am riding a 2005 S40. You can see a pic of my bike in the pictures message thread. I seem to be getting about 100-110 per tank till I hit reserve. I have not yet decided it was time to measure the distance of my reserve. That would be something I hope I never have to find out.

I am 40, approx 200#'s and 5'8". I love the short trips. The longer ones seem to be a little hard on me with the current seat, but that has not stopped me from taking them.  It seems to have more than enough power to haul my butt with little or no effort. I typicaly do not travel at speeds over 60 so I am not the one to answer that type of question. I like the country rides on the twisting roads.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/30/04 at 04:14:30

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
A tank of gas lasts about as long as your Ass will stand riding without a break.... Nuff said.

Yep.  When monkey butt sets in, stop for gas.  Of course, if you change the seat, you might end up on the side of the road.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/30/04 at 04:26:01

Funny about this and I refer you back to my  Grin disclaimer  Grin

On average, I never experience only 87 miles before reserve.  And even funnier is that my spouse and I fill up at the same time when riding, and invariably she goes on reserve first.  Funnier too is that my bike has the larger jet and more open exhaust.

But RPMs do have a lot to do with it, and where you tend to shift gears.  I tend to be one that lugs the engine in the gears more than others...and I think my spouse winds them a little tighter before shifting.

However, we were riding with some larger bikes once at some really spirited speeds through some very twisty mountain roads.  Great ride with me staying in 3rd and 4th gear most of the time (trying to keep up with a 1200 Bandit).  When we stopped for gas, my mileage was only 40 MPG.

So RPMs, on the Savage, do determine the mileage.  You'll average from 60 to 40 depending on your riding habits.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/30/04 at 07:21:23

With everything stock except the K&N air filter (replacement for stock, not canister), I was getting almost exactly 55 MPG doing mostly highway riding.  I'm sure that opening up the exhaust and rejetting the carb is going to affect this though.  Once I have it adjusted to run the way I want, I'll check again... maybe I'll even fill up a portable gas can and see how far I can get on reserve (just once, just to know).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 10/30/04 at 09:58:05

The exhaust/carb mods might make it more efficient !!

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/30/04 at 10:16:27

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yep.  When monkey butt sets in, stop for gas.  Of course, if you change the seat, you might end up on the side of the road.

Well see this is why you SHOULD NOT change the seat. It's actually the Gas Guage you thought was missing....  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 10/31/04 at 13:11:37

Birdmove wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I would use the bike for it all:65 mile per day commute;fun, back road riding;some trips-maybe 2-4 days, and not real long ones.I'm 5'10" and about 195 pounds.I haven't test rode a Savage yet, but I am an old thumper fan, so I'm considering the S40?Savage, and the Buell Blast.

Thanks, Jon Neet

I'm a bit smaller, about 5'9" 180#, and what counts for legroom is my denim's 32" inseam which is long in loafers but just right when wearing my boots.  The Savage fits me perfectly.  Ran to the Home Depot this morning -- a 35 mile round trip (the store is 3 miles away, took the long way home.)  Cruised at 75+ on the freeway with throttle to spare.

The big difference between the two bikes is style.  I prefer the laid back cruiser position to the scrunched over street racer position -- YMMV.

Another available Thumper is the Royal Enfield Bullet -- basically a 1955 motorcycle that is still being produced in India.

WWW   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/31/04 at 18:03:19

Yes but that Enfield repro is reportedly crap quality. Not really been hearing much good about it. The Indian companies are capable of good to decent quality if they want too. This one so far they just do not seem to want too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 11/01/04 at 03:37:50

They are neat to look at though.  In my ignorance, a few years ago (in this instance, anyway), I saw an Enfield parked by the road and whipped my bike around to have a closer look.  I didn't know they were still made with the same 50's tooling so I thought that I was looking at a really great restoration.  Boy, was I surprised when the owner told me that his Enfield was the same year as my Savage.

I like looking at the external oil lines and the functional looking engine casing parts.  The "newer" models even have electric start now.

IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #14 - 11/01/04 at 07:08:06

Yes, and they have now gone to a 5 speed transmission too.I have seen these at the Seattle Cycle World Motorcycle Show.They look cool in my opinion, and might be a fun ride on farm country backroads.But they have much less horsepower than even my Kawasaki KLR250 dual sport, though they say they are pretty torquey.You need to be able and ready to work on them if you buy one.
   The Buell Blast is a much better contender in the "new thumpers still in production" catagory.Also the line of MZ thumpers based on the Yamaha 660cc water cooled engine.I've ridden a Blast, and it was a pretty good ride.It was hard to believe how a 500cc thumper could seem to cruise almost effortlessley at 75 mph!
   I would love to see Suzuki make a traditional "roadster", say, like an old Yamaha SR500 desing, with the Savage engine.Or a sports bike, like an MZ Skorpian with a Savage engine.

Jon Neet

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 12:58:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40/Savage questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.