Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Sticky Topics/Tech Docs
10/26/04 at 19:55:24

I contacted John H., the administrator and creator of this forum, and asked him how we could make sticky topics.  In response, he made me the moderator which means I can do it...me and my big mouth.  Shocked

That's why the three topics at the top are at the top.  After going through the historical topics, those seem to be ones that will be most helpful to everyone. Just wanted to let you why they are there.   I also think it might be helpful to have a summary exhaust/jetting modification topic.  See Jardine again...(Now MAC) for details.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Re: Sticky Topics
Reply #1 - 10/26/04 at 20:10:23

The unfortunate thing about Stickies is, if they are your only way to keep informational tidbit threads up there, they quickly overwhelm your space and fill up your single forum's first page.... They are not really the "best" answer for taking all the things like FAQ's and Informational threads and keeping them accessable because they eventualy overrun your main interactive forum... As you will quickly see soon... So long range you need to consider a seperate forum for them. Some place to move them to... So this one can remain interactive and developmental and then that one is where the gems go to when they present themselves worthy of it.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Sticky Topics
Reply #2 - 10/26/04 at 20:20:15

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The unfortunate thing about Stickies is, if they are your only way to keep informational tidbit threads up there, they quickly overwhelm your space and fill up your single forum's first page.... They are not really the "best" answer for taking all the things like FAQ's and Informational threads and keeping them accessable because they eventualy overrun your main interactive forum... As you will quickly see soon... So long range you need to consider a seperate forum for them. Some place to move them to... So this one can remain interactive and developmental and then that one is where the gems go to when they present themselves worthy of it.

No doubt you are right.  That's why I only chose three to make sticky.  I saw your note on the other thread so I've also asked John about creating another section for docs/faqs but thought we could start with what we've got.  It's better than where we were anyway.  Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Sticky Topics/Tech Docs
Reply #3 - 10/26/04 at 20:45:48

Wow.  John is quick today.  We now have a separate section called Technical Corner where we can post technical information.  The idea is that the discussion would continue to occur in this area (Rubber Side Down) but any detailed technical information that we want to have easily accessible should be put in the other section such as the Torque Specs List.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/26/04 at 20:50:14

While you are conjuring up additional forums - how about a for sale/wanted to buy section?

We need to leave the rubber side down area unspoiled by capitalism - must leave plenty of space for more endless yammering about carburetors and mufflers.

Smiley

By the way - congratulations on your promotion, Susan!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/27/04 at 02:40:07

Congrats on your promotion to moderator.  I noticed the forum change right away.

I'm also jealous of your green stars.  They match my bike  Grin

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 10/27/04 at 05:48:54

Thanks guys...don't know if it was exactly a promotion or Susan's mouth getting her assigned extra work  Roll Eyes but I'll do my best.  

David the "for sale/marketplace" forum sounds like a wise idea.  Before I ask John for another addition, are there others we need?  

In the interest of ease of use, my preference would be to keep almost all the conversation in one place so I'm not sure we should split it any further (beyond Rubber Side Down, Tech Corner for tech docs and a Marketplace as David suggested) but would like to hear your thoughts.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 10/27/04 at 06:16:04

Very nice!  And, um, congratulations... I think.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 10/27/04 at 08:29:50

I like the Technical Corner.
Thanks.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/27/04 at 09:49:31

Looking good now Susan. I think the three is good. Keeps it all sort of easy to find and not too many of them to search through.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 10/28/04 at 03:47:21

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
David the "for sale/marketplace" forum sounds like a wise idea.  Before I ask John for another addition, are there others we need?  

What do you think about the one that was titled (I think), "See the bike, now the Rider"?

After all, we always see Rob's and Paladin's faces, but seeing some of the others might be good too  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #11 - 10/28/04 at 06:11:37

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What do you think about the one that was titled (I think), "See the bike, now the Rider"?

After all, we always see Rob's and Paladin's faces, but seeing some of the others might be good too  Roll Eyes

Yea. I thought about making that one sticky -- it is kinda fun.  I was also thinking about moving the "Parts that Have Changed '86 to '05" topic to the Tech Corner.  It isn't quite a tech doc but it is more of a reference piece.  I'll go ahead and make those changes.  Will also add the "Paint Colors by Year" to the Tech Corner as it is a good reference piece too.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 10/28/04 at 06:34:23

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yea. I thought about making that one sticky -- it is kinda fun.  I was also thinking about moving the "Parts that Have Changed '86 to '05" topic to the Tech Corner.  It isn't quite a tech doc but it is more of a reference piece.  I'll go ahead and make those changes.  Will also add the "Paint Colors by Year" to the Tech Corner as it is a good reference piece too.

Paint colors is good...I'll need paint this winter  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 05:14:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sticky Topics/Tech Docs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.