Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Guy Here....and some questions! (Read 5 times)
rkutzner
Ex Member

New Guy Here....and some questions!
10/18/04 at 17:12:34

Hey, guys,

Just drove my S40 home today and as a new bike rider I love the weight and the power.   My drive to work is all twisty backroads and it seemed like the 'cruiser' to get.

Can someone give me a 4-5 sentence explanation of the backfire issue, I noticed it a few times in lean/idle conditions (like engine braking slowly before a curve and twice when turning it off).  I suspect they are lean from the factory, but it seems a bit much?  It was cool today, ~60.

I am not new to these types of engines and have put a piston/intake cam/exhaust on my Z400 and jetted it with little problem.  The S40 looks simpler and it was cheaper Cheesy so I plan on doing everything myself as soon as I get my FSM.

And anything else anyone would like to share would be appreciated, maybe soon I will be productive on this site as well!!!

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Re: New Guy Here....and some questions!
Reply #1 - 10/18/04 at 20:37:08

Welcome to the club, Rkutzner.  I think everyone that has a Savage/S40 has had the backfire issue.  Mine still does it after 10,000 miles.  I think Greg_650 said they are lean from the factory, and that a washer in the carb can be changed out to fix the problem.  Look around the forum for "carb spacer" posts. 8)

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/19/04 at 09:11:18

Removing the white  plastic spacer will help. Also a larger main jet will help as well. It will take a little time to get things right. Search for white spacer and main jets. We are here to help. The jetting depends on variables. Will you be replacing the muffler? Will you be replacing the air filter? Stick with it you will get it set up right for you and the effort is worth it.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 10/19/04 at 10:53:45

8)  I like the backfiring.  Gives the Savage Attitude.  8)

WWW   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/19/04 at 12:06:37

Thanks guys.  What I've seen is folks saying the white spacer which is from the needle which would have a 1/4 to 3/4 throttle effect or the mixture screw/main jet which would have a idle and over 3/4 throttle effect.  I might play and do both to cover the entire rpm range.

Any exhaust kits that include jetting for exhaust and stock everything else?  Is there a K&N for the bike?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/20/04 at 02:43:05

The idle mixture screw affects the closed throttle mixture (idle), the spacer works up to the 1/2 throttle position and the main jet works above that to full throttle.

You might want to read the topic, "Backfiring, please help..."

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 04:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Guy Here....and some questions!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.