Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't you just hate it? (Read 9 times)
wspllrll
Ex Member

Don't you just hate it?
10/20/04 at 12:46:43

Don't you hate when you go to a dealership and you want to check out the bikes and maybe sit on them for size, and all the salesguy wants to do is to hover over you?

I wanted to sit on an S40 and I have done that before - but I am noot ready to buy for another month or so .......so I want to just sit on one.

I am tired of every sales guy telling me that I don't want that bike. It is too small for you....you will get tired of it in an hour......etc etc.

How will it help them sell a bike when I walk out the door?

Thanks for listening.

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Re: Don't you just hate it?
Reply #1 - 10/20/04 at 13:07:01

I agree Fully!

When I puchased my bike. The dealer I purchased from was the third dealer in 1 day. The first told me there are no manufacturers willing to make "smaller" bikes because everyone hates them. The second was just plain rude. He not only hovered but he kept making comments that I thought were inapproproate for a salesman. He used words like "underpowered for my size", folowed by rubbing his belly. BTW: I am not exactly a large person at 200lbs and 5'9".

My last dealer was great. He was willing to answer all my questions. He pointed to his desk and said if I had more questions he would be there, and he left me to check out all of the bikes. Every now and then he walked by and asked If I had any more questions. I was amazed. I purchased my S40 that day and accepted delivery 2 days later (mine was still in the crate). I have since put over 1000 miles on it and am sure I made the correct choice not only in bikes but in dealers as well.

1 week later I went on a poker run for MDA. It was hosted by the rude dealer. I made a point of visiting the salesman and showing him my new bike. That made me feel good. Grin

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 10/20/04 at 13:43:13

after my decision to purchase a Savage, i went to local dealership and the salesman wanted to sell me something off the floor, they have never had a savage in stock.  i held firm on what i wanted, at that point the owner entered the picture. he offered to located one for me if i left a deposit. needless to say it arrived several days later, at that point the staff had the opportunity to test ride something they never had before. they were impressed with the pep, handling, and classic styling of the machine.  when closing the deal the owner admitted that they didn't have a clue on how to "sell" the savage now s40.  suzuki america was billing it as a "starter" bike good for around town or for women as it is so small and light. i believe every salesman should ride every bike in stock to see how they perform, that would make them less reliant on factory suggestions.  overall all i give my local dealership good marks. and the salesman who tried to sell me something else, well he's looking into one for his better half.  i also directed the owner to both berts forum and this to show how much we love our little thumpers.   Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #3 - 10/20/04 at 13:46:28

If you are near west Texas, let me know.  I have an 03 Savage for sale, 2000 miles in great shape.  I'll let you sit on it and even take it for a spin.  Have fun shopping.

IP Logged
wspllrll
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/20/04 at 14:06:36

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 i held firm on what i wanted, at that point the owner entered the picture. he offered to located one for me if i left a deposit. needless to say it arrived several days later, at that point the staff had the opportunity to test ride something they never had before.    Grin

I guess when you have someone telling you all the time it is the wrong bike you start to doubt yourself. Anyway....everyone here helps me to get back to the original decision.

IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #5 - 10/20/04 at 14:34:08

At least some of you had options of dealers. I live in Santa Fe, NM and there is one dealer here. They are a**holes. I ended up ordering my bike through them because I didnt want to have to drive 50 miles to get it.

The dealer even tried to sneak in an extra $1600 for the extended warrentee through my bank loan. Luckily the bank called me and asked if that needed to go through. bastards.

I will have to say though that I need to get a sifferent tail pipe for more juice. I was cranking in on the highway yesterday and on a long slow incline it maxxed at 80mph. probably safer for my sake, but it needs more juice.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 10/20/04 at 17:24:03

wspllrll wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Don't you hate when you go to a dealership and you want to check out the bikes and maybe sit on them for size, and all the salesguy wants to do is to hover over you?
Was checking out the choices at The Boot Barn and had the same thing -- sales people coming up and asking if I needed help.  About the third time I said I was checking out the store for my wife -- selection and whether they have pushy salesmen.  The left me alone. Quote:
I am tired of every sales guy telling me that I don't want that bike. It is too small for you....you will get tired of it in an hour......etc etc.....
Yeah, right.  I rode a 1974 Yamaha DT175 Enduro on dirt and street for over 12 years -- did not get tired of it.  Had a Suzuki GS450E for about four months ('til it got stolen) and rode that from Los Angeles to Seatle and back -- mostly on two-lane roads and enjoying every minute of it.  That 450, at under 400 pounds, could easily out accelerate the bigger boys.  Small does not mean slow. (aside:  in the four-wheel world the car I want is the Caterham Seven -- a four cylinder is a rocket with 1100 pounds curb weight)

It boils down to you and what you want.  I wanted a nimble lightweight city bike and was checking out the 250's by Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki -- all about 300 pounds.  When I saw the Savage spec of 355 pounds knew I found my bike, assuming it fit.  Which it did.

On the other hand, my buddy Dave up north has a 60 mile each way commute and went with a bike (a C50) more at home with high speed cruising.

I bought used partially because the local dealer didn't have any in stock and wasn't getting any since they leaked oil and people kept returning them because they vibrated too much.   (ah, people, it's a THUMPER -- it's supposed to vibrate.)

The only other bike that I was looking at was the Royal Enfield Bullet, a 500cc single -- but it's a 49-state bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 10/20/04 at 17:27:51

wspllrll wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
....I am tired of every sales guy telling me that I don't want that bike. It is too small for you....you will get tired of it in an hour.....

Smile at them and say, "I realize you need to compensate for your inadequacies; I don't."

WWW   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/20/04 at 17:53:49

A good Dealer can be very important. Knowing they are there to make some money off you is key to your attitude and then the fun begins. If he is not frank and honest then walk away from that one. There are more. Its your money. But don't be acting like a jerk either. You will never discover if he is honest or not if he is immediately on the defensive. That being said... I got one that I can finangle with and argue with and he doesn't take it seriously. he and I go at it some times but he looks to me to sell bikes as well. He knows I am going to give a customer that he refers to me a frank and honest owner assessment. And no I am not going to just agree with him.

The other day I was there, as you know talking to him about Mufflers, and as I walked in there was a guy sitting on the white S40. First one I had seen up close. Soon as I walked in the door he pointed to me and said to the Customer "ask him. he has one". Well I proceeded to point out to the guy everything I liked and the few things I didn't and then overall tell him I loved the thing. And why the few things I did not like were not really that big a deal. Like small tank size. Then I went over every feature of the bike the dealer had more than likely missed. In fact he had not pointed to the Belt drive. They guy was suprised to realize it had one. He had not noticed. Nor had the dealer thought to mention it.

So we work together. I finangle a discount every time I go in there. I always ask "and whats MY price". He always obliges. He knows I will be back and we have a relationship. We don't always agree on things. And I double check any work they do. I always call any thing I think is wrong to their attention right away. They then make it right.

A knowledable customer can be demanding but he also must realize mistake are made and not take it personaly. An honest dealer will appreciate the frankness and honesty and take it in stride. Its a relationship. If its not right then don't buy there. But make sure its not you thats killing a chance for a relationship to blossom.

The guy has to feed his kids, pay his overhead and he is NOT there to give stuff away. You are there to get the best deal. Sometimes thats a compromise.

IP Logged
wspllrll
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/20/04 at 20:51:43

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The guy has to feed his kids, pay his overhead and he is NOT there to give stuff away. You are there to get the best deal. Sometimes thats a compromise.

That is fine - point taken.  I am not even getting into the price issue.

I already know the place that has the best prices - by far.

I would have appreciated "What are you looking for in a bike?" before being told by the sales guy what I want.  I think it also helps him to quallify me as a customer.

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #10 - 10/21/04 at 07:50:48

i'll be honest. the reason i had no problem with dealers/salesmen when my boss was taking me from bike to bike to shop to shop to sit on them all was undoubtably because he is a very big guy who likes to look like a biker.
it's nice to have a big guy play big brother at times.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:01:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Don't you just hate it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.