Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leak from gas cap (Read 2 times)
Mike O.

Leak from gas cap
10/18/04 at 05:39:41

I've notice a day or two after I've ridden, I've got a leak from the cap that runs down the tank. Anyone else?

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Leak from gas cap
Reply #1 - 10/18/04 at 14:26:29

I used to get them after overfilling.

I read about this trick and it worked for me...

Remove the rubber gasket in the cap (this will require disassembly of the cap, don't try it if you are a mechaniklutz) clean it up and flip it over.  Badabing, it's like a new gasket and no leaks.  Your mileage may vary.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Steve

Reply #2 - 10/18/04 at 14:34:25

I tried flipping the rubber gasket on my wife's savage and it still leaked.   Then I read somewhere about cutting a piece that matches the gasket from a plastic milk carton and putting that under the rubber gasket, and this has seemed to resolve my wife's leaking cap.

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #3 - 10/18/04 at 19:20:36

Hey Guys;

Mine leaks also....I have never fully inspected it, but I asked about it at the dealership, and was told that the cap has no gasket......hmmmmm shows what those guys know!.....

I also saw on the service records, the previous owner addressed this issue during the first service, but their is no evidence they fixed it.

I will be trying the flip over trick, and if it still leaks, I will try the plastic thingy..........Drippy gas plays havoc on a freshly waxed tank......cheers

Michael

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/19/04 at 07:19:34

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I also saw on the service records, the previous owner addressed this issue during the first service, but their is no evidence they fixed it.

He probably got the "they all do that" fix....   Undecided

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 10/19/04 at 08:46:46

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hey Guys;
Michael

He or she probably removed the evidence Lips Sealed

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/19/04 at 10:17:13

both of my savages do it too.... i fixed it by sitting on the bike keeping it upright off of the kickstand...while i   fill it to the bottom of the rim in the tank...  then when you lean the bike upright again.. to start riding...  it will not spill out on that nicely waxed tank.....when you fill it up when it's on the stand...leaned to the left....  and then lift the bike straight up...  the gas splashes out ...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/20/04 at 02:36:40

Mine does not leak.  Even when I had my recent moment of forgetfulness and tipped the bike over when I forgot the sidestand....it wasn't tipped for very long, but it still never leaks even when full.  They don't "all do that".

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:30:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leak from gas cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.