Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
205 mph! (Read 46 times)
johnnycrash
Ex Member

BULL SH*T
Reply #15 - 09/26/04 at 17:58:35

Whether or not the person just quoted was the actual perpetrator, thank you for injecting some common sense and actual FACTS into this ridiculously exaggerated (but oft-repeated) story.  

205mph on an RVT????  Oops, I'm sorry, 205 on a "Honda 1000?" (lol)

No.  No.  NO.   Only someone who knows absolutely nothing about sportbikes, like your average cop, would believe this.   It makes for a sensational headline and a great fish-story/urban myth, but it's all wrong wrong wrong.   Not that anyone seems to care in their haste to criticize this admittedly irresponsible rider.  

No mention was made how this skycopper determined that the two points of reference were so EXACTLY 1/4-mile apart that hundredths of a second were required to obtain an accurate calculation--at altitude, no less!   As noted, this was a public highway, NOT a dragstrip.  Nor was any mention made whether or not this guy passed math class in the 4th grade.  Obviously, he didn't.  

I'm not going to say it's "impossible" for a low-revving V-twin bike like the RVT to attain those speeds, because the minute I say that someone will prove me wrong.  But in reality, it's extremely unlikely.  It usually takes a highly modified GSX1300-R to achieve those speeds.  200+ is an elite club, and RC51's are (as far as I know) practically unknown in this lofty circle.  

I wasn't there, so I can't say what really happened, and I certainly don't condone this kind of stunt on a public highway, but let's get real--the overwhelming evidence indicates that the police officer was either grossly incompetent or simply lying.  

Before you go repeating stuff like this, do the following:

Check the facts.
Do some homework.
Excercise some common sense.
Most importantly, CONSIDER THE SOURCE.  The media and the cops are notorious for getting it all wrong, wrong, wrong.  Like in this instance.  "Honda 1000..."

I hope the following:

1.  That the rider learned his lesson and restricts such activities to closed tracks in the future,
2.  That the ticket gets thrown out in court,
3.  And that the journalists and police officers involved are held accountable for their grossly irresponsible actions.

NONE of which is going to happen.  Nevermind, just keep telling the story  and ooh-ing and ah-ing over the number 205.  

JC

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: BULL SH*T
Reply #16 - 09/26/04 at 19:13:43

johnnycrash wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I hope the following:

1.  That the rider learned his lesson and restricts such activities to closed tracks in the future,
2.  That the ticket gets thrown out in court,
3.  And that the journalists and police officers involved are held accountable for their grossly irresponsible actions.

NONE of which is going to happen. ....

1. I doubt will happen.
2. SHOULD happen *if* the ticket was actually written as 205 mph.  That the bike was going 140+ does not matter if the ticket was written for 200+ and it can be proven that it is physically impossible for the bike to exceed 160.  I had a buddy in the Air Force (late '60's) who was written up for "noisy mufflers."  The mufflers were under his bed and very quiet.  That he has no mufflers did not matter as that was not what the ticket was written for.
3.  Dream on!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 16:38:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 205 mph!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.