Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Hard Luggage Case
Reply #15 - 09/18/04 at 14:18:00

I guess it's all a matter of opinion but I certainly don't intend to try turning my Savage into a touring bike.  It's a light cruiser and will stay that way.  However, I like to be able to carry miscellaneous items (tools, flashlight, first aid kit, etc.) and prefer not to have to untie/unpack and carry them every time I park my bike.  Since my preference is not to use the hard side bags on this bike (though I did like them on my KZ750), I am using a medium topcase/trunk.  I tend to think it's more aerodynamic than the side bags but I'm not going to go to the extent of a wind-tunnel test to know for sure.  If I notice drag, it'll come off.  Once I get it done, I'll take a photo and try to find a way to post it.  If you like it, that's nifty.  If not, well that's just peachy too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 09/18/04 at 20:14:04

I live in LaLaLand, and the traffic is horrid.  One of the reasons I wanted a bike was for shopping -- bikes park near the entrance, not in the boondocks where you need to pack water for the hike to the doors.  Can't put two gallons of milk in a pocket.  To be honest, I've bookmarked the second of the J.C.Whitney boxes, above.  Will have to see how yours looks.  On the road.  Get someone to snap you as you roll past -- side, front quartering, rear quartering.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 09/19/04 at 03:17:11

I figure that a good old milk crate tied to the luggage rack would be good  Shocked

Actually, I took my bags off, only for use on long trips.  In that case, I'll just throw them over the seat.

BTW - after 4 years, the straps on my leather bags were beginning to tear, so I figured that I'd put them into semi-retirement.  Took off the supports too.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #18 - 09/19/04 at 04:02:35

I have a small rack on KLX and have never used it yet but I keep it just in case.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 09/19/04 at 15:58:52

Okay, the one I got from eBay is the same as the first JCW link above.  The only difference I can see is I paid $45 instead of $85.  I don't know how to post a pic but I guess I'll figure that out sometime soon.  In any case, I like the results with one exception... I'll be removing it sometime in the near future to primer and paint the adaptor plate I used to mount it.  I basically just used a 1/8" x 6" x 12" aluminum plate as an extension of the standard Savage rack I already had.  It was necessary to remove the pad from the sissy bar to get this trunk to fit but the trunk has a built-in backrest that's larger and higher than the one that had been on the sissy bar in the first place... not that I ever go 2-up on her.  This seems to be quite sturdy.  I'll probably make a smaller pad to fit it there just for looks though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 09/20/04 at 02:40:07

Yep, a picture would be cool.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 09/20/04 at 06:07:09

Let's try this.  Here's a shot of Nadine and her box. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nihndja/detail?.dir=739f&.dnm=8b1f.jpg

Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #22 - 09/20/04 at 06:45:00

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Let's try this.  Here's a shot of Nadine and her box. http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/414ed455z9480fc5d/739f/__sr_/8b1f.jpg?phEktTBB...

Couldn't get in.  Got "page cannot be displayed"

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 09/20/04 at 07:15:12

I just modified the post with a different URL.  Please try that one.

Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #24 - 09/20/04 at 08:14:56

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I just modified the post with a different URL.  Please try that one.

That worked.  Wow.  That's a big box!  Does it fit your helmet?  Your flames on the tank are cool, btw.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 09/20/04 at 08:17:58

Yes.  It'll easily fit a full face helmet.

klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #26 - 09/21/04 at 05:19:37

I like flames too, want them on My KLX.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 09/21/04 at 08:43:04

They are the removable reusable variety, available from Cycle Graphics at http://www.cyclegraphics.com/.  Just be sure the surface is clean, smooth and free of moisture and they work well.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:13:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard Luggage Case

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.