Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hard Luggage Case (Read 39 times)
krat
Ex Member

Hard Luggage Case
09/16/04 at 15:01:41

Hi everyone,

I'm new and am happy to have found this community here.

Does anyone know of a good solution for using hard luggage on the Savage? I would like to get a Givi-type case to be placed behind the back seat.

Questions:
- Any reccommendations for reasonably priced cases?
- Also, is the Savage's luggage rack (I know I can buy one for about $70)  all I need to mount the case on?

THanks!

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Hard Luggage Case
Reply #1 - 09/17/04 at 05:15:42

To answer your questions.
- No I don't
- Yes, you can mount the hardcase on the rack.

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 09/17/04 at 06:03:42

There are a number of universal trunks/topcases listed on eBay.  You might find one you like there.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/17/04 at 06:13:13

IP Logged
krat
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/17/04 at 10:17:15

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone have any experience mounting those boxes? I called a couple of mbike stores here in the bay area and they said that the savage rack is too short for ANY box, and as for Givi boxes, they need a proprietary rack which Givi does not make for the savages.

I find that hard to believe, since 3 out of 3 stores said that I should give up on the idea because there is no solution for my bike. One even asked me why I bought this instead of the more popular cruisers! Or a BMW since I want a 'BOX',,,

What the nerve! I love my Savage, and am looking for a bo becuase I have had saddle bags stolen 2 times, and had to replace broken backseats. Darn, does NO ONE here use a topcase (ok I know it is uncool, but I use my bike to commute to work and need to stop taking jackets, ringear, helmets into my office...)

ANy advice would be great. Thanks!

IP Logged
Petertheblacksmith
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Finland
Reply #5 - 09/17/04 at 10:25:42

I have a set of hard bags on my Savage. They are made by Kappa, and you can buy a rack for the Savage. Very easy to take on and off, allyou need is to twist the key and press a little red button, and you have two suitcases. Neat. These bags also fit the Five Stars and Givi racks.
Look for Kappa K21 Cruiser.
Good luck !
Peter the blacksmith

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 09/17/04 at 11:06:46

Well, I'll probably know more this weekend.  I have one I got from eBay slated to arrive today and I'll probably get to mounting it this weekend.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
domino
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/17/04 at 13:06:31

Peter;

Any way you can post a pic of the hard bags on your savage. Would love to see what they look like. I have the same problem as Krat has. I work in a high crime area, in my cities downtown. Soft bags would last about 15 seconds, till the thugs either walked off with them, or slashed the straps. Although my office has it's own parking, people use the lot as a shortcut .....Thanks..........cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 09/18/04 at 06:42:22

krat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks for the reply.

I called a couple of mbike stores here in the bay area and they said that the savage rack is too short for ANY box, and as for Givi boxes, they need a proprietary rack which Givi does not make for the savages.

I really don't think that you'll be mounting any serious luggage on the Savage rack.  It's barely big enough for a 6 pack, but it does make a pretty good tail light visor.

I mounted a tool bag on mine.  It's functionality is really nothing more that chrome dressing.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 09/18/04 at 09:32:58

I'm looking at http://www.hoese.com/lealyke.htm -- hard lockable saddlebags for the Savage.  They have no picture of the bags on the bike.  Mentioned these to the wife.  I might have pictures after my birthday in November or after Christmas.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
sandra

Reply #10 - 09/18/04 at 10:25:36

Peter  &  Paladin (and other 'siders'):

what made you decide on hard side cases/saddlebags instead of  top cases? What  are some of the advantages (i know they  are more expensive than the  tops)?

thanks!

IP Logged
kratt

Reply #11 - 09/18/04 at 10:35:58

Savage Rob- how did the mounting go?

What rack are you using, and what is the make and size of ur box? did you have to remove the backrest?

Good luck!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 09/18/04 at 11:23:20

Sandra wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Peter  &  Paladin (and other 'siders'):

what made you decide on hard side cases/saddlebags instead of  top cases?
Same reason I have a Savage 650 rather than a Burgman 650 (with it's 55 liters of storage under the seat) -- looks.

On the practical side there is a matter of keeping the weight low, but to be honest I don't see myself packing that much.  The saddlebags are large enough to take my laptop on one side and tools/parts on the other.
(On the side I ride to the rescue of those with computer/DSL problems.)

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 09/18/04 at 12:31:30

Well, just got it and I think it's really gonna look good (of course we each differ on that opinion< i'm sure) and work well.  It has no branding but is supposedly made by Emgo.  The Savage rack is definitely too short on its own to mount this but I think I can make an adaptor/extension plate to fit between the rack and the trunk fairly easily.  I'm going to draw up what I need today and maybe make it tomorrow.

tim_savage_rider5

Reply #14 - 09/18/04 at 13:36:56

yeah, why anyone would want to dump a plastic box on their bike is beyond me. i know that there is a BIG bike-with-box fetish in both Europe and Asia, but it has never caught on here in  the US, and i hope it will not spread like a virus? to the savge riders trying  to  start a trend,  there must be a  good  reason  why  the  rest of us  (including  OTHER brand bikers)  don't  use boxes.  It's UGLY!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:01:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard Luggage Case

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.