Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
gear not engaging (Read 13 times)
tekxtc
Ex Member

gear not engaging
09/16/04 at 08:07:53

The "bulletproof" cracked  Embarrassed

I have a green 2000 with 9250 miles on it. I was riding it yesterday (out to run an errand) when all of a sudden the gear disengaged. I stopped the bike on the side of the street and tried to see whats up when I realized that no matter what I do, It will not go in any of the gears. With or without the clutch.

The engine starts up. No problems. But if I depress the gear, it does not engage. It is kinda spongy.

I went over the clymer and it says that I will have to remove the engine from the frame to work on the gear mechanism. Also: it does not have anything to troubleshoot anything similar.

Should I just start disconnecting various things in the order mentioned in the clymer or is there some way of figuring these things out?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards

Autif

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Re: gear not engaging
Reply #1 - 09/16/04 at 10:15:14

did you check to see if the front hub is spinning..... ?  i ran into this problem last year... the front hub broke .. and the output shaft just spun not turning the hub to run the belt...  just a thought....

IP Logged
Autif

Reply #2 - 09/16/04 at 20:24:04

you the man ZA.

It seems like this is exactly the problem. The shaft is spinning, but hub is not when the gear is engaged.

So how did you fix it? Replaced the "Drive Pulley"? Item # 22 on page 175 of the clymer 1986-1988. Figure titled Transmission. Fig #46 in chapter titled "Transmission and gear shift mechanism"

So all I need to do is replace the "Drive Pulley" and the lock washer. I can reuse the old nut.

It does not require any engine dismounting or rear whel dismounting. Just moving the rear wheel forward. As described in the "Drive Pully and Drive Belt" removal section of the chapter titled "Rear Suspension".

Let me know if I am on the right track.

Regards

Autif

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/17/04 at 06:15:28

you got it...  thats all there is too it...  just make sure that the shaft is smooooooth...  when mine did it.. i got alot of metal shavings actually welded to the shaft..because the bushing on the hub is aluminum.. and so is the shaft... (dumb) but i didn't design it....  i just used a dremmel and took my time and removed any burrs that were there then hit it with some fine sandpaper to smooth it out good...  let me know how you make out...   glad to be of help... Grin

IP Logged
tekxtc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/17/04 at 07:32:25

It is kinda rainy today evening and tomorrow. I will probably get to it on Sunday. I do not have a garage Embarrassed

I will also have to order it thru one of the local suzuki dealers. It may be a full week before I can ride again Embarrassed

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/01757?whatprefs=

But its just a week  Grin

I will also take pics just in case.

IP Logged
tekxtc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/17/04 at 09:31:39

How do I get the nut off the gear main shaft? because of the rust, the nut and shaft are rotating together. I have soaked them in WD-40. Will do soaks every few hours until sunday. Lets see where this takes us.

Any other ideas?

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/17/04 at 11:34:44

thats about the only thing i can suggest...  or maybe us liquid wrench ...  but... i believe that i needed to use a wrench and a hammer...  sharp blows on the wrench helped it come loose...  CAREFULLY!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked.....  PATIENCE...  but after that..  piece of cake....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 09/18/04 at 07:06:46

tekxtc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
How do I get the nut off the gear main shaft? because of the rust, the nut and shaft are rotating together. I have soaked them in WD-40. Will do soaks every few hours until sunday. Lets see where this takes us.

Any other ideas?

Man, I'm really out of the loop on this topic.  What hub?  What shaft?  What parts are made out of aluminum?

Are we talking about the front pulley spinning on the output drive shaft?

By the way, the hammer on the wrench will help to impact the nut loose from the pulley, but if it still wants to be stubborn, you can get a helper to hold the rear brake pedal down while loosening the nut.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 09/18/04 at 08:34:53

Won't work Greg the outer part of the front pully isn't attached to the middle.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 09/19/04 at 02:51:53

How the #%%#$@% does that happen?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 09/19/04 at 03:47:36

Probably wouldn't have happend with a chain drive.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/19/04 at 04:04:37

Need pictures, if possible.

You're right.  Wouldn't happen with a chain drive, but then we could look at pictures of pointy sprocket teeth instead  Smiley

IP Logged
tekxtc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/20/04 at 07:49:06

Will post the pics later today os so.

Meanwhile here is the gist of things as they stand.

1) was able to get the nut (#38 in the pic below) from the main shaft (#15). Had to use 32 mm socket from Autozone and the wrench I had. Had to put the bike in 1st gear and it was not all that difficult after 2 days of WD40 + Liquid Wrench.

2) Will order the parts tomorrow as the dealer is closed Sunday and Monday Embarrassed

3) Will have pic of the old and new parts sometime today/tomorrow

4) The problem is that the internal teeth on the front pully (#35) that is supposed to mesh with the main shaft (#15) is all worn out. It is a circle instead of teeth there.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic.asp?dept_i...

I was wondering what may be the cause of this failure? I had just 9200 miles on my bike (all but the first 250 driven by me). Could it be because of ungaraged winter conditions of massachusetts, could it be the tight belt I had on for a few days (~400 miles). Could it be my hard riding habits? I always (almost always) do hard acceleration until the desired speed (35, 45, or 60) miles per hour is reached.

Any other ideas?

Will post pics of the older parts and then old and new together when they arrive.'

Autif

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #13 - 09/20/04 at 09:15:42

I had a problem with the shifter feeling spongy.  Took it in to be looked at about 2 weeks ago before going to a rally in New Mexico.  The shift rod was bent.  They straigtened it but had to order the part.  So....... of course I'm in the middle of Nowhere, New Mexico when it bends again and I'm stuck in 4th gear.  Lucky for me one of the guys with us knows how to work on motorcycles, he straightened it again and it just got me back to town.  He went to a hardware store and for $4 bought some kind of metal tubing and a hacksaw, cut the tubing to size and got me back on the road again.

Has anybody else had this problem?  I feel that it should be repaired under my warranty but am betting the dealership wont agree.

BTW.... If you've never been to Ruidoso NM I highly recomend it.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #14 - 09/20/04 at 13:57:33

Just got back from the rally in Ruidoso yesterday.  My third one and my wife's first trip up on her Savage.  We had a great time.  Like you, I'd highly recommend making that rally or at least taking a ride up during the summer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gear not engaging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.