Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does size matter? (Read 9 times)
wspllrll
Ex Member

Does size matter?
10/04/04 at 10:19:45

I am a new member.  And I am learning a lot reading the posts in this forum.

Obviously there are many dedicated Savage ( and S 40) owners here.

I am looking for my first ( road)  bike. I rode a Suzuki trail bike for years.

I want a light simple cruiser to start out at least . I think I will be doing afternoon cruising on back roads mostly. I tried sitting on a s 40 and relative to other bikes in that price and class it did not feel too small.

Can I ask opinions on whether this bike is big enough for me?  I am about 5'11 1/2 and about 215.

Also I am considering a Honda VLX. I guess it is down to one or the other.
Any opinions on which is better?

Thanks !

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Does size matter?
Reply #1 - 10/04/04 at 13:38:39

I'm 5'11" also and have a few more pounds but find that the Savage is sized just fine for tooling around town or doing some 100-150 mile runs.  It's perhaps a bit compact for cross country, but it's a fun bike, kind of a dinosaur today in the simplicity it represents.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 10/04/04 at 13:48:58

wspllrll wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
....I am looking for my first ( road)  bike. I rode a Suzuki trail bike for years.  
What size trail bke?  Were you a trail rider (go slow and enjoy the scenery) or an off-road racer?  I rode a 1974 175cc Yamaha Enduro for a dozen years.  My first street bike was a Suzuki GS450E which I found more than adaquate.  I am, however, a go slow and enjoy the scenery type.
Quote:
I want a light simple cruiser to start out at least .... Also I am considering a Honda VLX. I guess it is down to one or the other.
Any opinions on which is better?
Since I had the same choices available and picked the Savage -- ah, yeah, I have an opinion.  Like you, I wanted a light and simple cruiser.  The Savage is a 352 pound air cooled single with a belt drive.  The VLX is a 452 pound liquid cooled twin with a chain drive.  The Savage is a hundred pounds lighter and far simpler.
Quote:
I think I will be doing afternoon cruising on back roads mostly. I tried sitting on a s 40 and relative to other bikes in that price and class it did not feel too small.

Can I ask opinions on whether this bike is big enough for me?  I am about 5'11 1/2 and about 215.
Whether or not the Savage is physically large enough for you is something only you can tell.  The two main fitting points are legs and arms.  I understand that there are ways of moving the foot pegs forward, and a straight handlebar will move the hands forward also.

WWW   IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #3 - 10/04/04 at 13:55:04

Since you are an experienced rider, you might consider the Suzuki 800 Intruder.  It is a little larger and might be a bit more comfortable.  However, only you can make that call.  The Savage however is a great bike.

IP Logged
wspllrll
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/04/04 at 14:47:55

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What size trail bke?  Were you a trail rider (go slow and enjoy the scenery) or an off-road racer?

Whether or not the Savage is physically large enough for you is something only you can tell.  The two main fitting points are legs and arms. .

Suzuki TC 100    I was just an enjoy the scenery and get wild once and awhile kind of rider.

Both the VLX and the S40 seem very similar to sit on them.

It is a tough choice.  I guess I am looking see if there are others that are my size who are happy with the Savage ( S 40)

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 10/04/04 at 16:27:50

You are going to get a biased opinion here -- we'uns are mostly Savage riders and thus find them suitable.  You really ought to go to a VLX forum (sush as http://vlxriders.20m.com/ ) to see if there are any ex-Savage riders, your size or smaller, who found the bike too small.

On the other hand, the Savage, judging by the prices for used bikes, hold value quite well.  You could get a used Savage, ride it for a few months, and if too small sell it.  Maybe even for a profit.

WWW   IP Logged
MK
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/04/04 at 18:15:41

We just got 2 S40 and though we aren't your size (5' 6" & 130 lbs and 5' 8" & 145 lbs) we love this bike.  We sat on alot of other bikes (Honda, Kawasaki, Buells, Yamahas) and the S40 felt the best.  As other riding friends told us, go with what fits and feels right.  That said the S40 is a sweet bike - reasonable price, lightweight, well balanced, and quick off the line - we're very happy with them so far.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 10/04/04 at 19:21:50

There are bikers your size riding the Savage and enjoying it BUT there are also others your size who have ridden the Savage and then decided it was too small for them.  It depends on what you want to do on it.  

If you are looking for a great back roads, riding the twisties, one-up bike, the Savage would be a good fit.  If you are planning on lots of highway cruising or lots of two-up riding, another bike might be a better choice given your size.  

Don't get me wrong -- there are plenty of Savage riders who log lots of highway miles and plenty of Savage riders who ride two-up.  It isn't that the bike can't do it, it's just that it is not what the bike is best at.

The Savage is fun to ride, has a lot of low end torque, is easy to maintain and has a super loyal following.  In the end it really depends on what you want and what you are comfortable with.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
wspllrll
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/04/04 at 20:42:13

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If you are looking for a great back roads, riding the twisties, one-up bike, the Savage would be a good fit.  If you are planning on lots of highway cruising or lots of two-up riding, another bike might be a better choice given your size.  

The Savage is fun to ride, has a lot of low end torque, is easy to maintain and has a super loyal following.  In the end it really depends on what you want and what you are comfortable with.

I think I might enjoy this type of bike the best. I am not trying to impress anyone I just want to enjoy the ride.

I am going to find a dealer tomorrow and check it out again.

Thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/05/04 at 02:39:15

I am a little shorter and a few pounds heavier, but find the Savage to be quite comfortable and easy to ride.  This after 30+ riding years and bikes with larger more powerful engines.

This time of year should be good for finding a good used Savage, and even though you rode trail bikes, you should consider an MSF training course too.

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #10 - 10/05/04 at 07:09:17

Not sure where you are located but if it is close to west Texas, I know of two Savages for sale out here.  One is an '86.  The other is an '03.  From what you have said, I am certain a Savage would satisfy your needs.

IP Logged
wspllrll
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/05/04 at 10:55:00

I went to the dealer today and sat on all the bikes  

I really liked the S 40 ( Savage 05) the best. Something about the light feel and the simplicity appeals to me. Maybe cuase I have the history of the lighter bikes?

I am going forward with that idea.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 10/05/04 at 11:10:31

wspllrll wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I went to the dealer today and sat on all the bikes  

I really liked the S 40 ( Savage 05) the best. Something about the light feel and the simplicity appeals to me. Maybe cuase I have the history of the lighter bikes?

I am going forward with that idea.

Let us know when you get your bike.  Good luck!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 10/05/04 at 20:27:38

I'm a bit shorter at 5' 9" and 195 lbs and I love the Savage but a lot of the attraction is its straightforward simplicity.  I mean: single cylinder, air cooled and belt driven.  It's kinda like the VW of motorcycles, at least in my opinion.  If I were a few inches taller though, it might feel a little less comfortable.  If it feels good to you, it's a great bike but I agree with the suggestion that you try the Intruder on for size and see what you think.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/05/04 at 20:32:20

Too bad you don't live in Texas, there's a 1996 Savage with 1300 miles for $1900 in the Cycle Trader.

My buddy that I ride with used to have a VLX 600, and we would swap back and forth on rides, and I liked the VLX, and I even tried to buy it.  

Pros of the VLX:
smoother at highway speed
little heavier, doesn't blow around much
lots of chrome, good looking V Twin

Cons:
Chain drive
4 speed
(to me) didn't handle as well as Savage

Their both fine bikes, and my buddy had no troubles out of his.  He sold it and bought a 1200 Sportster.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:27:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does size matter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.