Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Stupid things we do...
10/06/04 at 03:40:42

It finally happened yesterday...

After a particularly difficult 11 hour day of electrical wiring, I rode home with one thought:  Get a cold beer and relax.

I pulled in our gravel drive at 6:45 and went through a quick mental check list:  Bike in Neutral, ignition off, and open garage door.....that is when it happened.

Luckily the left grip only barely touched the ground as I wrestled the bike upright.  Yep, for the first time ever, I had forgotten to put down the side stand.  DOH!

Luckily too, the spouse didn't see me either  Tongue

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Re: Stupid things we do...
Reply #1 - 10/06/04 at 05:07:13

If it's any consolation to you, it happened to me yesterday too.  

After an unpleasant ride to work, during which I hit the gas tank reserve going up a hill with a line of cars behind me (cough, cough, sputter!) and during which I seemed to have forgotten how to shift gears smoothly and in the proper sequence, I backed in to a parking space, gave the sidestand a half-hearted kick and started to get off.  My half-hearted kick did not extend the sidestand - I managed to catch the bike about halfway to the ground, and eased it down until I could get completely off and wrestle it upright.  

I don't think anyone saw me, although as I walked toward the building, I was imagining my co-workers gathered at the windows laughing at me.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 10/06/04 at 05:32:10

What's caught me out a few times is setting off with the side stand down!!

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #3 - 10/06/04 at 16:03:58

I've got you both beat on this one, couple of weeks ago I stopped to get some gas, forgot to put the kickstand down and fell over while still sitting on the bike. Oh my was I mortified, I must of looked like something out of Laugh-In. everything was ok except for my pride.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #4 - 10/06/04 at 16:08:27

The side stand does not have a lot of snap holding it forward either.

I once was working on the bike and managed to roll it back far enough to get the kickstand to start folding shut and the bike began to tip.  I was sitting on the ground, on my fanny on the exhaust pipe side of the bike.  The bike was falling away from me.

Well, I grabbed he nearest handlebar and the edge of the seat and started pulling back as hard as I could.  The bike kept falling, albeit slower, as it pulled me straight up and onto my feet.

I wasn't able to keep the bike up, but I did manage to make sure it had a soft landing when it landed.  No damage, but I did learn a lesson, whatever it was...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 10/06/04 at 17:01:59

TongueYup ... been there, done that ... have dropped the Savage twice forgetting to put the kickstand down ... no damage either time (put my back out first time though, tryin' to keep the Bike upright) ... both times I forgot the kickstand, I was very mentally fatigued after a gruelling day at work ... have learned no to go near the Bike when I'm dog-tired ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 10/06/04 at 19:15:07

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The side stand does not have a lot of snap holding it forward either...

I have noticed this as well.  I am very paranoid about the kickstand because I am never sure if it is down solid.  I have come close a couple of times just because it moves so much.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/06/04 at 20:21:25

Haven't done the kickstand thing, but I did attempt to take off from a light with it in neutral.  When the light turned green, I got on the gas, picked my feet up, and over I went.  I caught myself before the bike hit the ground, but I looked like a darn fool.  
My father in law told me that back in the day when bell bottoms were in, he hung his pant leg on the peg, and fell over at a stoplight.  Bellbottoms; ugly and dangerous.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/07/04 at 02:58:47

This is great.  I'm not alone in my stupidity  Smiley

I guess that it does point to the need for a good awareness and a clear mind when riding a bike.  Something I beleive stressed by the MSF course, too.  But stuff happens....hopefully in just this harmless way.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/07/04 at 03:00:16

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What's caught me out a few times is setting off with the side stand down!!

Clive W  Cheesy

Your KLX doesn't have a side stand switch?

Mine doesn't either but I removed that myself.

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #10 - 10/07/04 at 05:26:10

I was pulling into a gravel parking lot, with a SUV on my tushy, when my front wheel took a skid . To this day i don't know how i managed to stay on, but i bet it would win first prize on Americas Funiest Videos. I was flopping around like a monkey on crack.

One really has to wonder how many times these big bikes go down. Even the savage feels like a ton, in a situation like that.

I suppose we may be a bit more confident, with the easy handeling, and light weight. Most GoldWing and big bike owners drive so rigid, they look like they have a stick up their butts....LOL......cheers...........Michael

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 10/07/04 at 05:28:06

No side stand switch,used to be but i took it off, the long travel suspension saved me from droping it when i set off with the stand down just looked an idiot.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #12 - 10/07/04 at 05:29:32

lets try this again....word filter messed me up...grrrrr........a*s*s is not swearing......it is a Donkey.....LOL

I was pulling into a gravel parking lot, with a SUV on my a*s*s when my front wheel took a skid . To this day i don't know how i managed to stay on, but i bet it would win first prize on Americas Funiest Videos. I was flopping around like a monkey on crack.  

One really has to wonder how many times these big bikes go down. Even the savage feels like a ton, in a situation like that.

I suppose we may be a bit more confident, with the easy handeling, and light weight. Most GoldWing and big bike owners drive so rigid, they look like they have a stick up their butts....LOL......cheers...........Michael  

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 10/07/04 at 06:17:12

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
lets try this again....word filter messed me up...grrrrr........a*s*s is not swearing......it is a Donkey.....LOL

That's a new one...it replaced "my a*s*s" with "I disagree" ??

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #14 - 10/07/04 at 08:40:01

hah. you guys are amateurs.
i was merely repositioning my bike so i could chain it to the tree and over it went away from me. now i position it while being ON it. much safer.

and then i must be dyslexic because i didn't just strip out one tank bolt, turning it the [glow=red,2,300]wrong [/glow] way...
that's right, i stripped them [glow=red,2,300]both [/glow] out.

yes, i know it by heart and have ever since i was a wee child: righty tighty, lefty loosey...

let's just say that was a very bad day for me and leave it at that.  Angry

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 02:12:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stupid things we do...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.