Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
German Savage Forum / Stop the backlash (Read 41 times)
Jon
Ex Member

Re: German Savage Forum / Stop the backlash
Reply #15 - 09/10/04 at 11:21:02

>  But I haven't really noticed it on mine either, nor
> have I heard of it happening to others.

Greg, the '88 did the starter churn almost every time I shut it off.  It sounded like the starter had not fully disengaged when the bike was started and then finally released when the fire went out.  The '96 did it occasionally, and it doesn't seem to be present at all with the 40.  Maybe Suz sorted it out.  I've the S40 shop manual on back order and will investigate any changes.  When the dealer gets the S40 parts fiche, I'll snoop there a bit, too.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #16 - 09/10/04 at 12:19:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I almost wonder if it couldn't have something to do with ignition timing and maybe different grades of gasoline.

Seems like I read euro gas varies from U.S. spec gas.
I have noticed our summer reciepe oxygenated gas seems to backfire more.

I remember 70's car's idle solinoid that would energize w/ ignition circuit then, on shut off, would spring-return away from the idle stop screw, closing the thottle plate compleatly and was supposed to kill the run-on.
The compression release is a much better fix.

I wonder perhaps if the idle is set to high and aggrevates this 'backlash'?

I seem to have had heard this backlash once while the bike was new to me.
Now in order to prevent bluing/excessive heat while in traffic, I tend to idle my stock Suzy down after a mile or 2, blip it and listen a couple times while waiting for a traffic light to change. I will set it as low as it will go and still run. This will require the throttle be bliped on decel to prevent it from dieing while rolling up to a light w/clutch in and that the idle adjuster up 1/2 turn when cold starting too. backfires are less common,but it's summer and I expect them to increase w/ cooler weather. I pulled the idle brass plug long ago and tend to keep the mixture screw a little fat to help w/ backfires.
BTW; On occasion, it seems to idle faster so I slow it, then it may be too slow @ the next light and I put it back.
I will blip it and quickly & completely open my rt. hand and let it snap back to idle stop, then push the throttle shaft against the idle stop to check if the return spring is closing all the way. It never slows down, so it seems to always be fully returning, yet idle speed tend to vary sometimes. I guess it's just engine temp vs. weather/air density.

I have not noticed the backlash problem since I tend to keep the idle down.
It seems like this may help prevent that problem?

P.S. Nice diagram there general. I see you have been promoted to 5-stars. Wink

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 09/10/04 at 13:08:44

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
>  But I haven't really noticed it on mine either, nor
> have I heard of it happening to others.

Greg, the '88 did the starter churn almost every time I shut it off.  It sounded like the starter had not fully disengaged when the bike was started and then finally released when the fire went out.  The '96 did it occasionally, and it doesn't seem to be present at all with the 40.  Maybe Suz sorted it out.  I've the S40 shop manual on back order and will investigate any changes.  When the dealer gets the S40 parts fiche, I'll snoop there a bit, too.  

Yeah, but I don't know if the starter "churning" is the issue.  That sound I have heard.  It's the "basklash" sound that would be a hard knock.  That's what I tried to explain above.  The starter is "clutched" to turn the rotor in only one direction.  When the engine fires and the speed exceeds the starter speed, then the clutch remains stationary (on the back of the spinning rotor).  The hard knock would come IF the rotor tried to turn backwards because the crankshaft tried to turn backwards....that would force the starter drives in reverse, and trust me, they won't move much and there would be a potential for damage

The churning sound, might just come from the engine making one more revolution forward, not backward.

I'm just theorizing, because I've "played" with these parts.  Look close at that picture.  Just imagine that when the engine is running ONLY the rotor is spinning (big red arrow).  All the other gears are as stationary as in that picture  Undecided

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/10/04 at 15:23:40

> The hard knock would come IF the rotor tried to turn
> backwards because the crankshaft tried to turn
> backwards....that would force the starter drives in
>reverse...

The piston approaching TDC without spark could fall back down and cause the crank to spin backwards which would lock the starter's one-way clutch and spin the starter backwards.  Done enough, it would certainly peel gear teeth.

The noise from the '88 was that of the starter spinning, then as the crank stopped a clunk like the one-way had finally disengaged.

There is something very odd, but very good, about my S40 which may be related to all of this...  It always seems to start without cranking a full revolution.  It's almost like the engine previously stopped with the piston approaching TDC with a compressed charge (and does not spin backward).  Then, tapping the starter button moves the piston a few degrees toward top and ignites the mix.  I've never had any bike appear to 'instant start' like this.  Whatever is going on, the starter doesn't seem to churn on shut-down.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #19 - 09/10/04 at 16:14:53

The reason why most of the USA riders have not heard of the problem: In 1996 the idle gears were changed, the second idle gear ( as from the startermotor) is now called a "limiter". Suzuki did improve the starting circuit. For those interested check out ronayers.com microfiches for the Savage and compare the years 1996 with previous years.
@Lupus0801 ( Wolffgang) I understand your german explanation on the German forum and I'm willing to translate.
Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 09/11/04 at 02:27:42

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The reason why most of the USA riders have not heard of the problem: In 1996 the idle gears were changed, the second idle gear ( as from the startermotor) is now called a "limiter". Suzuki did improve the starting circuit. For those interested check out ronayers.com microfiches for the Savage and compare the years 1996 with previous years.
@Lupus0801 ( Wolffgang) I understand your german explanation on the German forum and I'm willing to translate.
Greetz
Kropatchek

And Mr. Kropachek wins!  He is very right.  Actually it looks like both of these gears have been changed, while the rotor and clutch stayed the same.  The gears in my photo are the same as the ones in 1996.

Now the question...are these gears interchangeable?  Were the cases or anything else changed?

This photo belongs in the other topic.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #21 - 09/12/04 at 02:56:01

Thanks Greg, whish I could compose pictures like the one you made.

[glow=red,2,300]Now the question...are these gears interchangeable?  Were the cases or anything else changed? [/glow]

A: Yes, if you replace the alternator cover at the same time, has a different partnumber.

Greetz
kropatchek

IP Logged
LUPUS0801
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 09/12/04 at 03:09:59

Greetz
Kropatchek

Hi,

sorry for long time not answering. I had to do some other things. But i read this thread now. Very interetsing. I don't understand all words. But i understand the things.

Its nice that you want to help translating. I think we do next steps via mail.  I found very good explanations for the problems here. I think we put all infos togehter in a "box" .

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #23 - 09/12/04 at 03:16:47

@LUPUS0801 wrote
Its nice that you want to help translating. I think we do next steps via mail.  I found very good explanations for the problems here. I think we put all infos togehter in a "box" .

Sent me the text you like to have translated
LHzG
Kropatchek

IP Logged
LUPUS0801
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 09/12/04 at 03:21:58

Thanks Greg, whish I could compose pictures like the one you made.

[glow=red,2,300]Now the question...are these gears interchangeable?  Were the cases or anything else changed? [/glow]

A: Yes, if you replace the alternator cover at the same time, has a different partnumber.

Greetz
kropatchek

Hi,

Ok - on way to prevent tooth-"crashes" ist to change the gears and the motorcover. Costs?

The other way ist do add the little elektric for about 15 EUR. Nearly the same in Dollars. All parts are available in a good electronikshop. Simple connection with 5 wires.

To finish an installable Kit like on the Photo from single Parts  i need about 45 Minutes. Detailed Buildingscript is available.

Installation ist done in 10 Minutes (without time for replacing tank and seat)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 09/12/04 at 03:25:31

I wonder if the differences in the covers is just end clearance for the starter gear shafts?

The reason I ask, is because of the little washer #2 shown in the 1996 fiche.  When I first pulled these cases, I encountered the first time that my SSM failed to give me the correct info.  In that, the manual didn't explain where those washers go.  What happens is that one of the washers will invariably stick to the oily case when you remove it, and then it will fall off the case to leave you wondering where it goes.

This happened to me in 2001 and during reassembly I figured that each shaft (#1 and #3) needed a spacer (or shim) for each gear.  Not so.  What happened was that it was too tight on the shaft for gear #3, and when I went to start the engine, I was really surprised.  The starter was bound and could not turn.  So off comes the case (which ruined a new gasket) and I put it on the other shaft.

I then made a notation in my manual  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
LUPUS0801
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 09/12/04 at 03:46:00

@LUPUS0801 wrote

Sent me the text you like to have translated
LHzG
Kropatchek

Ok,

i will work a little bit on the text and mail it to you. Together with the buildingscript. You than can add infos from this thread if you want.

Please wait a few days. I have many work with germans "Mondaydemonstrations"

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 04:15:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › German Savage Forum / Stop the backlash

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.