Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking for definitive answers....if there are any (Read 12 times)
russ_g
Ex Member

Looking for definitive answers....if there are any
09/08/04 at 12:12:57

Hi all.  Looks like this site is taking off nicely.  Some of this has probably already been discussed, but i'm looking for info on a few things.  First off is Saddle bag support brackets.  I'm up in Canada and have been waiting almost 3 months now for a simple set of Suzuki brackets.  I've phoned pretty much all of western canada and they all say the same thing.........back order.  Just wondering if anyone knows where to get some third party stuff in canada relatively easy.  Alot of ebay users don't want to ship from the states nor do some businesses.  The couple I did get ahold of in the states also gave me the back order situation.  I'm also looking for feed back on the Suzuki OEM engine case guard and the possibility of mounting highway pegs onto this.  Has anyone successfully done that?  Finally i'm looking for feed back on the Suzuki Gel seat.  I'm about 5'9" for comparison sake.  So far I really love this bike........gotta say I'm a little bummed at suzuki on the saddle bag bracket thing though.  It's kept me from even attempting to order the other stuff i mentioned.

l8r

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Looking for definitive answers....if there are
Reply #1 - 09/08/04 at 13:02:51

Hi ... yup, 'Zuki accessories fro the Savage are too goddarned expensive ... I paid almost $200 Cdn. for an engine guard ... looks pretty good, but not hardly wide enough to protect in a drop ... so not worth that kinda cash. A set of hiway pegs bolted on to it might make it more effective in event of a drop though?
As far as bag brackets go, a set of homemade ones'll work as well as the store-bought ones and cost way less ... just spray paint 'em black (chroming's expensive), they're hidden by the bags anyhoo!
www.metric-cruisers.com has some pretty cool aftermarket stuff for the Savage ... no bag brackets, but some neat stuff ... the solid chrome disc cover for the rear belt pulley is especially nice!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
russ_g
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/08/04 at 13:11:08

Thanks PerrydaSavage
The only reason for the engine guard (for me at least) would be to have a place to mount the highway pegs.  I don't ever plan (ha ha) on dropping the bike. Grin

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #3 - 09/08/04 at 13:47:15

Here's a link to a site that sells saddlebags that don't require a bracket.  They are a little pricey but would work in a pinch.

http://www.accessoryinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SRCH&Store...

IP Logged
mownor
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Look cool!  You
know who you are.

Reply #4 - 09/08/04 at 15:51:42

Hi, Russ.   This person from another forum had a set of Savage supports for sale.  Might still be available.  Cheers from Winnipeg.  M

nosilag@fastmail.fm

Life is a journey - don't wait for the stops; enjoy the travelling.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 09/08/04 at 22:04:31

Old Geezer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Here's a link to a site that sells saddlebags that don't require a bracket.  They are a little pricey but would work in a pinch.

http://www.accessoryinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SRCH&Store...

Asked it to search for saddlebags savage and it came up with the LeatherLyke saddlebags, which are not actually bags but are hard cases with hinged locking lids.  (I want 'em.)  Unlike leather bags, they will never sag.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 09/09/04 at 04:33:58

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hi ... yup, 'Zuki accessories fro the Savage are too goddarned expensive ... I paid almost $200 Cdn. for an engine guard ... looks pretty good, but not hardly wide enough to protect in a drop ... so not worth that kinda cash. A set of hiway pegs bolted on to it might make it more effective in event of a drop though?
As far as bag brackets go, a set of homemade ones'll work as well as the store-bought ones and cost way less ... just spray paint 'em black (chroming's expensive), they're hidden by the bags anyhoo!
www.metric-cruisers.com has some pretty cool aftermarket stuff for the Savage ... no bag brackets, but some neat stuff ... the solid chrome disc cover for the rear belt pulley is especially nice!

darn.  $200 Canadian?  I paid $68 for the engine guard new.  That's a rip-off.

I'd like to have the chrome pulley cover though....

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 09/09/04 at 10:45:05

russ_g wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
...So far I really love this bike........gotta say I'm a little bummed at suzuki on the saddle bag bracket thing though.  It's kept me from even attempting to order the other stuff i mentioned...

I am in the U.S. and got both the brackets and engine guard from my local dealer just a couple of months ago.  They came in within a week or so I think.  I wonder what the issue is with Canada.  I will be stopping by the dealer tomorrow.  Will ask them if they could get them and ship them to you in Canada.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 09/09/04 at 12:30:43

I got my supports here http://store.azmusa.com/ls650savage.html just about 3-4 weeks ago.  You might try calling them to check inventory before ordering.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 09/10/04 at 02:40:29

Ihave spent lots of time, up to a year at at a time, in Canada (BTW; great beers)
The key is to find someone w/ experience shipping to Canada so as the reduce the duty and customs "hang time".
Last year I was stationed in Ontario, so ordered a new digital camara from J &R in NYC while trees were green, thinking that since it was only a few hours away via truck I would have it for autumn colors. WRONG! by the time it came every leaf was on the ground, 4 weeks!?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 09/10/04 at 05:48:01

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
...The key is to find someone w/ experience shipping to Canada so as the reduce the duty and customs "hang time"...

Does this also happen for personal packages?  I am wondering if it would work if he bought it, someone picked it up here and then sent it to him...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/10/04 at 06:24:19

You have to be careful how your declare items going to Canada.  Do not set the actual value of the parts.  It is especially touchy if it an electrical item, but in this case, just declare it as a motorcycle part with a "value" of $15 or so.  The value will determine the total shipping cost in the end.

I also found it to be simpler to just use USPS parcel post, not DHL or something like that when I sold some footpegs to a guy in Canada last year.

Some of my info comes from an unfortunate job that I had for a few months earlier this year...working for a company out of Montreal...(man, that job sucked)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 09/13/04 at 08:02:20

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Harperann

Reply #13 - 10/12/04 at 20:22:54

I also found saddlebag guardsa at www.classiccruiser.com  Part # TAH0-1006
Saddlebag Supports  for Total Amount: 51.30, not tax for me here in Arizona, and Free shipping.

By the way...Susan, I am a newbie too and found your story inspiring...havent gone on a solo yet, but very soon. Grin

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 10/12/04 at 20:52:58

Harperann wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
By the way...Susan, I am a newbie too and found your story inspiring...havent gone on a solo yet, but very soon. Grin

Hey Harperann, thanks!  I can't even begin to describe how much fun I'm having.  I've been riding between 400 and 500 miles a month with no commuting (I work out of my home office).  I went on my longest solo ride last week (150 miles round trip on country roads) and had a blast.  Scraped a footpeg on a turn and just kept on going...   8)  Ride on!  

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:13:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for definitive answers....if there are any

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.