Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bar hopping on a Savage (Read 28 times)
bassman29
Ex Member

Bar hopping on a Savage
10/12/04 at 06:39:41

My ’98 Savage came to me with low, flat, w i d e drag bars (36” wide!).    Here's a photo.  I thought it was cool at first, but soon I came to realize that those bars are too freakin’ wide for comfort.  So I recently acquired a KhromeWerks drag bar – much narrower, with a little more pullback and a slight rise.  I scored it on e-bay – it is brand new and cost me the princeley sum of $2.26 (plus $10 shipping).

My question is – should I, a relative newbie with limited wrenching skills, attempt to swap bars myself or should I bite the bullet and have my mechanic do it?  He estimates a couple hours or so of shop time, so it would probably cost me $100 or so.  I also plan to put new grips on – probably the cushy Kuryakyns.

Is there a bar swapping tutorial somewhere on the internet?  Any advice for me?

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Re: Bar hopping on a Savage
Reply #1 - 10/12/04 at 06:48:28

Switching handlbars is fairly easy  job. For me the hardest thing is removing left grip. they are glued on. Did you consider just cutting the ends off your bars to the exact width you wanted? Oh yes and lay a towel over the gas tank.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 10/12/04 at 07:14:00

I've had my bars off.  It wasn't too hard.  Having a helper would make it easier.  I think you could do it.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/12/04 at 10:20:57

Quote:
Did you consider just cutting the ends off your bars to the exact width you wanted?

Yep, thought about it seriously - but that wouldn't solve the need for some pullback too.  Also the bars are dimpled & drilled so that would have been out of whack.

Quote:
Having a helper would make it easier.  I think you could do it.

Thanks for the encouragement, Susan.  You have given me the confidence to attempt it.  Why don't you drop by and give me a hand since you have experience?  It's only around a 1250 mile ride from your place to mine.   You could stop by Mechanicsburg and ask my brother for directions.   Smiley

IP Logged
mownor
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Look cool!  You
know who you are.

Reply #4 - 10/12/04 at 18:16:16

Try this gentleman's site.  He gave me lots of encouragement when I changed my bars out.  M.
http://www.jonline.org
Note to file:  check out Bert Heise's site and Be_Savage and read, read, read.  You will probably find the answers to all of your tech questions there.

Life is a journey - don't wait for the stops; enjoy the travelling.
  IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #5 - 10/12/04 at 18:53:49

bassman29 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
My ’98 Savage came to me with low, flat, w i d e drag bars (36” wide!).    Here's a photo. snip

My question is – should I, a relative newbie with limited wrenching skills, attempt to swap bars myself or should I bite the bullet and have my mechanic do it?  He estimates a couple hours or so of shop time, so it would probably cost me $100 or so.  I also plan to put new grips on – probably the cushy Kuryakyns.

Is there a bar swapping tutorial somewhere on the internet?  Any advice for me?

Bassman,

This is a very easy type of swap. As mentioned above typically the hardest part is removing the old grips. Make sure to lay a old towel or blanket over the tank to protect it. Watch your cable routing to keep from pinching a wire and make sure to test the bars from lock to lock to make sure your not binding the clutch or throttle cable

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/12/04 at 21:01:13

I did it!  It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and maybe I'm not as clueless as I thought I was....anyway - I now have new bars and new Kuryakyn grips.

Before:

After:

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice.  Y'all rawk!

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 10/12/04 at 21:05:24

I did it!  It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and maybe I'm not as clueless as I thought I was....anyway - I now have new bars and new Kuryakyn grips....

Aww David, I can't believe you did it already.  I didn't even have time to plan a trip...   Grin

Congratulations!  Have you tried your grips yet?  I love my Kuryakyn grips (thanks Greg!)....

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/12/04 at 21:32:55

Sorry, Susan - I couldn't wait around for you...I picked up the Kuryakins at my local cycle supply after work this evening and started the project around 8 pm -  finished just after 10 so it was too late for a ride.  It took over a half hour to drill a couple of 3/16" holes in the bar - I had to go to my neighbor's and use his drill press.  I'll try them tomorrow (if'n it don't rain).

Susan, did you remove the chrome colored plastic ring from the original grip that is right next to the throttle cable pulley (or whatever it's called)?  I couldn't seem to get it off without destroying it, so it is still on.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 10/13/04 at 07:10:00

Sorry to break-in your tet-a-tet with Susan but I have a question: Why did you have to drill 3/16 " holes in the handlebar? Embarrassed

And the chrome plastic ring on the throttle grip comes right off when you push it to the outside after the rubber is cut away.

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/13/04 at 09:57:08

Quote:
Why did you have to drill 3/16 " holes in the handlebar?

Because on the inner side of the forward-facing half of both handlebar switch assemblies there is a protuding stud that fits into the 3/16" hole, keeping the switch assembly from rotating around the bar.

Quote:
And the chrome plastic ring on the throttle grip comes right off when you push it to the outside after the rubber is cut away.

It didn't on mine.  I tried to twist it off with vice grips and it wouldn't budge.  Maybe the previous owner who installed the longhorn bar glued it on.  I'll tear it apart again in a couple days and see if I can remove it.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 10/13/04 at 15:46:55

Thanks bassman, my switch assys don't have a protuding stud, hence the question. Embarrassed
Greetz
Kropatchek
8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #12 - 10/13/04 at 20:35:27

I filed the nub off of mine..  No probs.

I don't think the nub is there to keep the throttle from rotating, but rather to speed up assembly by making it pre aligned.

Just slip it into place and screw it down, rather than having to pay attention to how it's located.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 10/14/04 at 02:36:46

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thanks bassman, my switch assys don't have a protuding stud, hence the question. Embarrassed
GreetzKropatchek 8)

Mine don't, either, because I filed mine off as well

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 10/14/04 at 16:18:20

Susan, did you remove the chrome colored plastic ring from the original grip that is right next to the throttle cable pulley (or whatever it's called)?  I couldn't seem to get it off without destroying it, so it is still on.

Yep, like Kropatchek said mine slid right off.  But if its not affecting anything I don't know if I'd tear the grip off the fix it...  I think that Kuryakyn glue is pretty powerful stuff.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:32:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bar hopping on a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!