Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New seat (Read 37 times)
Jon
Ex Member

Re: New seat
Reply #15 - 09/03/04 at 14:12:48

> Have you had the chance to ride your "Savage40" for
> a long time so that you can rate the 2 seats?

Yes, three hundred miles the other day.  Compared to my previous Savages, the S40 seat is not noticed on long rides, and that is saying a lot.  I don't get the fidgets, no discomfort... no monkeybutt.

IP Logged
jajke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

2002 Savage

Minnesota, U.S.A.
Reply #16 - 09/03/04 at 20:01:43

Watnys wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Yes it does!
I had to remove the backrest pad to install the seat, and then installed it back on with room to spare. I  have the pillow-top version, so it is a bit taller then the classic version. Maybe the classic would install without needing to remove the backrest pad ???
I did like the look of the new seat with the the pad off. I may leave it off and extend the bare sissybar.

here are a couple of more pics...

http://www.geocities.com/peterstar@sbcglobal.net/newseatpics.html

Watnys,

Just to make sure I understand correctly, you did not have to drill any new holes in your bike to accomodate the seat of the S40, is this correct? And you bought the Gel Seat - Pillow?

Thanks!

Jaime

Jaime Ajke
2002 Savage
Minnesota
  IP Logged
Watnys
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/04/04 at 08:52:47

Jaime,
I did not drill any holes yet. I could not wait to test this new seat, so I mounted it only using the two bolts on either side of the bike (where the old single front seat would fasten to). For now the rear tab is floating above the area on the rear fender where the mounting hole should be.

http://www.geocities.com/peterstar@sbcglobal.net/tab.html

I think that I will cut the tab off after all and make some internal tabs (like the old rear seat had) in the reverse direction so that both front and the new rear tabs would engage with one motion (from rear pulling to front). I am only doing this because Suzuki misaligned the seam in the vinyl of the seat with the center of the tab. If the tab wasn’t there, then maybe it won’t be so noticeable. How do you pronounce “Suzuki quality”?
On another note, this seat  is a big improvement vs. my old semi-rigid concoction. The gel insert eliminates 99% of the vibrations. There really is no difference in the amount of vibrations cruising @ 60mph with the engine engaged or with the clutch engaged. That sold me. The only beef I have about this  seat is that I feel like sitting on a camel’s neck with the hump behind you. Maybe it’s because I am 6’2” tall and up to now I rode on my old seat on the almost rear position. Also for this new seat I have taken off my spacers that lifted the front of the seat at the tank mount (back to “factory” setting). I may have to put those back in.
For anybody under 5’6” this seat is gold. For taller riders, I don’t know - still trying to figure out my opinion. Maybe there are some Savage riders in my area that would like to test my seat to verify or confirm my findings? I am in the DFW area, Texas. I know there is a number of DFW Savage riders, how about a get together for a ride?

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/04/04 at 10:19:54

> The only beef I have about this seat is that I feel like
> sitting on a camel’s neck with the hump behind you.

I bought the optional gel solo for my 96 and could not use it because of the 'hump'.  It appeared that the upholsterer had just layered the stock seat form/foam with more foam and the gel pad.  The rise/step on the stock seat is xx-inches back from the tank.  By covering it the way they did the step was moved forward a couple of inches, effectively shortening the fore/aft depth of the seat area.  To do the job right they should have just layered the level part of the seat and avoided covering the step.  If you look at the Pillow and other optional gel seat, the seat area is shorter than stock---they continue to do the same upholstery mistake.  The relocated rise works for short riders (5'5" and under), but is very uncomfortable for anyone else.

What makes the stock S40 seat so good is that it's flat, not like sitting on a foam baloney, and the step is far enough back to accommodate people with legs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:14:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.