Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Spam
09/04/04 at 05:09:09

Y'all might want to be careful.....

I just received this email, and in the "CC" part, I see other names from this forum....including our resident guitar player.  I don't know how the addresses were collected.

Here is part of the email....

"Universal worldwide promo
Dipoli Centre
Otakaari 24
FIN-02318
HUT (OULU)
Finland
Ref: EAASL/941OYI/02
Batch: 12/25/DC34
Date: 03-09-04
WINNING NOTIFICATION:  We happily announce to you the draw of the Euro -Universal Lottery  International programs held  on the 27th of August, 2004 in Newcastle,England.  Your e-mail address attached to ticket  number: 564 75600545 188 with Serial number :drewthe  lucky numbers: 5388/02  which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd  category...."

(blah, blah, blah)

I did a search online for this lottery and found that this is a known spam technique, and this supposed "lottery" has been tried before.  As well, in checking the page source, I found that this supposed "plain text" message is actually "html code".

So, everyone, just delete the email if you get it.  Do not go to any links, not even out of curiosity.

Sadly, I have not won 2.5 million  :'(

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Spam
Reply #1 - 09/04/04 at 05:20:49

Thanks Greg.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 09/04/04 at 06:31:15

It's from Finland.   I'll bet they were reaped from Bert's page.  It's in CGI and data is stored in open text format, not a database.

---note: It looks like someone has crashed http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/LS650-Fragen.html again.  Angry

The world ain't safe for CGI anymore.  Too many scumbags out there.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
lagagnon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/04/04 at 09:09:13

Well Greg the reason for that is because you chose, in your preferences for this forum, to NOT hide your email address. Consequently the SPAM robot has somehow got hold of your email address.

If I were you, and I would recommend this to everyone on this forum, you should edit your Profile to hide your email address.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified computer tech.

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/04/04 at 09:24:14

I have gotten a couple of "lottery winner" notices lately also - probably attributable to my address on Bert's list too.  I don't mind getting the occasional - and I mean occasional - spam.  It's the price you pay for being easily available to fellow members.  My delete key works very well.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 09/04/04 at 10:06:12

lagagnon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Well Greg the reason for that is because you chose, in your preferences for this forum, to NOT hide your email address. Consequently the SPAM robot has somehow got hold of your email address.

If I were you, and I would recommend this to everyone on this forum, you should edit your Profile to hide your email address.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified computer tech.

Larry, I wasn't seeking advice, merely giving a warning.  Thanks anyway.  I don't worry about the spam, and I prefer to allow myself to be open to friendly emails as well.  My filters and firewall do very nicely otherwise, as I've been doing this a very very long time.

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #6 - 09/04/04 at 10:37:00

Greg. I too have gotten these lotto e-mail lately, along with the old con game of --so and so is a relative of so in so, and has access to an overseas bank account, and if I pay a fee, they will split it with me, to the tune of millions.....LOL....do they think people are actually that dumb?. I suppose some are, or else they wouldn't bother. Very sad. I look forward to the day that the spam bill is passed.

On another note, I got these mail before I joined this forum, and shortly after I joined another. I suspect it is coming from the other one...I am with you Greg....It's a small price to pay, for all the info I gather from you guys. Its so easy to hit delete, and block the spammers. I have also started signing my e-mail on both forums with the word "fake" before my real addy.

cheers........Michael

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 09/05/04 at 03:23:58

Michael wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
...I am with you Greg....It's a small price to pay, for all the info I gather from you guys. Its so easy to hit delete, and block the spammers. I have also started signing my e-mail on both forums with the word "fake" before my real addy.

cheers........Michael

Yeah, the "small price" is my firewall constantly popping up with warnings about cookies, passwords, and content which I have to approve or disprove....but I know that something is looking out my "back door" that way Smiley  And occassionally I get a spam through my filters, but when that happens, I adjust the filters and hit delete.

I much prefer to get the occassional "offlist" greeting or inquiry from different members of a forum.  They are always a pleasant surprise.

As for this particular "spam", I'd hope that no one here would be that gullible, but I tossed it out here just as a curiosity....even if "way down deep" something inside really wished that I'd won 2.5 million for doing nothing 8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:55:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.