Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OK to use a trickle charger? (Read 15 times)
bassman29
Ex Member

OK to use a trickle charger?
08/30/04 at 18:46:06

I went for a nice ride over my lunch hour today, but committed a newbie mistake when I parked back at the office - left the *&%$ key on.  When I attempted to ride home at 5:20 pm, guess what?  

Fortunately, the building supervisor had a jump starter and we were able to get it started.  I rode home (about 6 miles) with no problems.  

Is that far enough to recharge the battery or should I hook up my automobile battery trickle charger?  Any danger in using the charger on it?  It's a small one, switchable from 6 to 12 volts.

IP Logged
domino
Ex Member

Re: OK to use a trickle charger?
Reply #1 - 08/30/04 at 19:05:30

Why didn't you just gear boost it?

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/30/04 at 19:49:43

> I rode home (about 6 miles)....Is that far enough to
>  recharge the battery or should I hook up my
> automobile battery trickle charger?

Six miles is not enough to get back full charge.  About an hour ride would do it.  The standard charge rate for lead/acid batteries is 1/10 of the capacity.  The LS uses a 14 amp battery, so 1.4 amps would be the safe recharge rate.  Any trickle at this, or below, would work, but monitor the battery so it doesn't boil out.

I cannot say enough about the Battery Tender... Get One.  They are a smart charger that senses battery capacity and clips the input feed when the  battery is charged.  The simple version is about $25 at motorcycle shops and is all you need to keep the battery healthy, especially in the coming cold months when you won't be riding as much.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 08/30/04 at 20:25:22

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
....I cannot say enough about the Battery Tender... Get One.  They are a smart charger that senses battery capacity and clips the input feed when the  battery is charged.  The simple version is about $25 at motorcycle shops and is all you need to keep the battery healthy, especially in the coming cold months when you won't be riding as much.

How does it work?  Can it be hooked up when the battery is on the bike?  Do you use it all the time or only over the winter?  

My battery seems fine.  The bike always starts right up. I ride a lot which I guess helps keep the battery charged.  I understand, though, that the winter could be an issue...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/30/04 at 20:52:38

> How does it work?  Can it be hooked up when the
> battery is on the bike?

It comes with alligator clips, and a special connector which can be wired to the battery so you can charge with the battery in the bike.

In the cold months I ride with an electric vest, so use the vest's plug to connect the charger.  Whatever works, just be aware of the + and - polarity so you don't make sparks.  =8-0

> Do you use it all the time or only over the winter?

Around here it can rain a lot, so I use it if the bike sits idle for more than two weeks.  The charger is intelligent, so it can be left connected for months.

http://tinyurl.com/5by4f

http://tinyurl.com/5emgb

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/31/04 at 02:35:19

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
How does it work?  Can it be hooked up when the battery is on the bike?  Do you use it all the time or only over the winter?  

My battery seems fine.  The bike always starts right up. I ride a lot which I guess helps keep the battery charged.  I understand, though, that the winter could be an issue...

You can also connect the charger leads directly to the battery and forget the alligator clips.  I connected mine to the negative side (easy enough) and to an unswitched positive lead connected to the battery at the starter relay.  The little cable is permanently there under the edge of the seat....on a bike with side covers, the little connector hides behind the top edge near the seat.  Of course this is good if you only need the tender for just one bike.

As stated, every week or 2 is good enough for a fully charged battery.  In the past I have either used a good programmable electric timer to just charge the battery for short periods on a regular basis.  Or now, I have the timer connected to a switched outlet that only turns the tender on when I am working with the basement lights on...

As with any charger and battery, be sure to check the battery levels from time to time.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/31/04 at 02:40:48

bassman29 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I went for a nice ride over my lunch hour today, but committed a newbie mistake when I parked back at the office - left the *&%$ key on.  When I attempted to ride home at 5:20 pm, guess what?  

Is that far enough to recharge the battery or should I hook up my automobile battery trickle charger?  Any danger in using the charger on it?  It's a small one, switchable from 6 to 12 volts.

That switch has gotten a lot of people.  The one time that mine's been to a dealer, they left my key ON in park, and when I went to pick it up they had to install a new battery.

I know that it'e tempting, but don't use an automobile charger.  The charge rate is too high.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #7 - 08/31/04 at 09:24:23

30 years ago Sears made a thingy called an Amper Damper. It had 2 lugs + & -  for your car charger, a zero to 2 amp gauge and a knob and 2 more clamp-on leads for your bike Batt.  You could limit the current to near zero and trickle if you wanted or up to 2 amps.
It's great for small batteries . I wonder if it's still available?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 08/31/04 at 14:48:49

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
30 years ago Sears made a thingy called an Amper Damper. It had 2 lugs + & -  for your car charger, a zero to 2 amp gauge and a knob and 2 more clamp-on leads for your bike Batt.  You could limit the current to near zero and trickle if you wanted or up to 2 amps.
It's great for small batteries . I wonder if it's still available?

Yeah, and if you have one it is probably 30 years old and still working.  Things were made to last in those days.  My old 6 - 12 volt charger (like someone else's) is about that old and works fine.  That was in the day when cars and bikes even had 6 volts.    I bet that it was good for lawn tractors and such too.  Might be a little too much for a trickle charge on a modern bike though.  Only good for a fast charge.

Remember the days of kick starter and magnetos?  What battery?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/14/24 at 18:46:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OK to use a trickle charger?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.