Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel thingy Leak (Read 6 times)
domino
Ex Member

Fuel thingy Leak
08/30/04 at 16:12:44

Hey all:
Since I purchased my 2000 Savage in on June 14, I occasionaly noticed a small drop of gas on the rubber mat, in which i park my bike on. I never really thought much of it, since it would only happen ever 3 or 4 days.

I went out this morning to find a spot on the mat about the size of a silver dollar, then assuming that several drops had leaked throughout the night. Upon further investigation, I noticed the paint has lifted on the botton lip of the tank, just over the prime/reserve/switch.I have come to 3 conclusions. (1)Either the large oval O ring which takes 2 bolts and attaches to tank, is leaking..(2) The fuelcock is leaking around the 2 bolts...(3) the seam of the tank is leaking...The first 2 sceneros seem easy enough to fix, and I am crossing my fingers, hoping it is not the tank itself. The gas has gotten under the paint, and a strip of paint about 3 inches long, wiped off as was looking for leak. Thank goodness the previous owner suplied me with a can of genuine suzuki touch up paint.

Has anyone else had problems with these said gaskets (O ring, and 2 bolt gaskes) or is it possible my tank seam is leaking? the bike is mint, and no signs of rust anywhere. Any help would be appreciated

cheers..........Michael

IP Logged
domino
Ex Member

Re: Fuel thingy Leak
Reply #1 - 08/30/04 at 16:54:06

LOL....guess this site is filtered....The fuel thingy was not my choice of words..the Fuel c*o*c*k is what I origionaly typed...LMAO here

IP Logged
johnnycrash
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/31/04 at 00:54:45

I went round and round with my "fuel caulk" (hah) too.  In my case there was an internal o-ring leak in the "cawk," but that doesn't sound like your problem since gas is eating your paint.  Using talcum powder might help to isolate the source of the leak.  I'd pull the tank off if you haven't already, there could be a leak underneath.  My best, common sense suggestions.  Good luck, let us know.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 08/31/04 at 02:14:00

Have you tried to tighten the p_e_t_c_o_c_k?  I suppose that you have.

IP Logged
domino
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/31/04 at 06:48:53

GREG....I never tried to tighten it yet. thought I would run it by you guys first. Will try that today, and if it doesn't work, unless the leak gets worse, i will make it a winter project. Only a few more weeks of decent riding weather left in New Brunswick....Thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/31/04 at 14:20:05

Yep.  Kinda like my leak from the starter o-ring.  It too is annoying but will wait for winter  Tongue

IP Logged
domino
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/31/04 at 18:17:55

Greg:

I took your advice, and tried to tighten the fuel caulk..seems the rear bolt is stripped. The vibration must have rattled the gasket loose. I managed to get it to stop leaking......for how long, I am not sure..

The touch up paint I was given by the previous owner is very thin. Thinner than water if that is possible. I assume it has been diluted with thinner, for the spray gun the paint shop used when she scraped the tank once. I will have it profesionally done this winter, after I get some new gaskets, and solve this "bolt issue"........Thanks again........cheers

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 09/01/04 at 02:58:25

Sounds like, whomever painted the tank screwed up the petcaulk in the process.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 06:06:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel thingy Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.