Send Topic Print
Rain Gear (Read 6 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Rain Gear
08/11/04 at 10:44:31

i was wondering what type different people use.

it's sprinkley today so i drove my car to work, but i'd like to not be hampered by the weather so much.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Re: Rain Gear
Reply #1 - 08/11/04 at 11:30:43

I use a F350 Crew Cab Diesel Dually... never seems to hamper me much at all....

I don't ride in rain. Just don't care to. Don't think its safe to do and just is not pleasant. I do keep my Joe Rocket Phoenix's Dry jacket liner in the left saddle bag (along with a clean dry towel) all the time in case I get suprised. But thats about all the prep I do for it.

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #2 - 08/11/04 at 13:22:43

First Gear stuff is good.  I use the "Splash" outfit.

http://tinyurl.com/3zzyw

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #3 - 08/11/04 at 19:57:37

Frogg Toggs. Work well and pack small. Just keep them away from the pipe just like any other synthetic material.

IP Logged
Pat B
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/11/04 at 22:33:31

I have a Tour Master rain suit.  They work great in the rain, and they help out a lot when it gets cold at night Grin

We had 2 nights last week that it got down into the 50s, and I was glad to have that extra layer for warmth.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/12/04 at 02:54:20

I got soaked yesterday which means that I didn't wear a rainsuit on the way home from work.  Full blown thunderstorm.  Lightening and all.  It was a cold rain.

However, we each have cheap and fully functional rain suits that we bought from WalMart.  $20 each and bright safety yellow and black.  Folded up they consume 1/2 of one of my saddle bag.  I've never thought that riding in the rain was a "cool" thing and when I need to I don't figure that a fashion statement is necessary.  Being seen and dry is all that I care about.

I also have a pair of Alpinestars Water Web boots that I wear on long trip.  Comfortable in wet or dry and they work extremely well to keep your feet dry.  I highly recommend.

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/12/04 at 05:28:49

Learn from my mistake. I bought a rain suit from Walmar.It is a good rain suit but not good for motorcycle rideing though. Buy a rain suit that is for motorcycle riding. It should have stirups on pants to hold them down so they don't blow up. The pants should in addition have a velcro stap around ankle to tighten up. The rain jacket should also have a collar you can tighten up. Now this is optional. I use rain booties over my shoes. However some guys spray their boots with a silicone waterproofer. I prefer booties though. I also like rain mittens that can go over gloves and over sleeves. Another option is some motorcycle rain jackets come with a hood that can stay in collar or use. I use my hood inside my helmet. Riding in the rain sucks and I recommend not. It happens though so be prepared.      

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 08/12/04 at 07:39:38

Any small women out there with rain gear that works?  I always have a devil of a time finding gear that comes small enough...  Tongue

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Jon

Reply #8 - 08/12/04 at 09:33:41

> Learn from my mistake. I bought a rain suit from
> Walmar.  It is a good rain suit but not good for
> motorcycle rideing though.

Rain suites for motorcycles are constructed stronger than the utility duds.  I've had WalMart stuff shred itself to pieces from the wind at 60 mph.

IP Logged
Pat B
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/12/04 at 09:55:04

My suit was $50.  It's been through 4 rainstorms, and 2 extremely cold nights.  Still in good shape, and going strong/dry.

My buddy has gone through 3 $15 suits from Wal-Mart in the same time.  The Wal-Mart one shreds after about 20 minutes riding at speed.

I hope this helps others to make their choice.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/12/04 at 14:20:34

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
> Learn from my mistake. I bought a rain suit from
> Walmar.  It is a good rain suit but not good for
> motorcycle rideing though.

Rain suites for motorcycles are constructed stronger than the utility duds.  I've had WalMart stuff shred itself to pieces from the wind at 60 mph.

I wasn't suggesting a Glad trash bag....

Even Walmart has cheap versions and better ones.  We've had ours for about 3 years.  Still fine.  It is important to know what the suit needs to do when you buy one.  It needs to have all the proper closures on the wrists and ankles, neck etc.  You don't want the front to blow open either.

I know that you can get really nice ones if you want to spend the money.  Me, I'm not interested in having a fancy rain suit that will get damaged with time (muffler burns, mildew, etc) and spend most of the time stored away.

Now maybe when I get my next raise, I'll think about it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 08/14/04 at 05:47:14

I did see an interesting sales display for Frog Toggs yesterday while at the dealer.  It had a piece of the Frog skin for the bottom of a container that was filled with water, and there was air bubbling up through it with no water going out of it.

Meaning that air goes through but water doesn't.  Impressive, I must say.

IP Logged
maria
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/19/04 at 13:44:41

i find synthetic leather gloves best for wet conditions and i use ski gloves in the cold.

my waterproofs are years old, couldn't tell you the make but there are far too long for my 24 inch legs so i just pull them up a bit  and fasten them around my ankles - looks lije i've pooed myself but there you go.

i have a WULF motocross jacket, waisted type with the body armour taken out and that will take a bit of rain but not a real downpour.

IP Logged
LittleRedster
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/17/04 at 12:09:28

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Any small women out there with rain gear that works?  I always have a devil of a time finding gear that comes small enough...  Tongue

I got my rainsuit at the local Harley dealer a couple of Januarys ago during their winter clearance.  I'm 5'1", 110 lbs, and the small size fits me okay.  It's a tiny bit too big, but over another jacket, it works fine for those few times I've needed it so far.

Cheryl

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 09/17/04 at 13:18:20

LittleRedster wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I got my rainsuit at the local Harley dealer a couple of Januarys ago during their winter clearance.  I'm 5'1", 110 lbs, and the small size fits me okay.  It's a tiny bit too big, but over another jacket, it works fine for those few times I've needed it so far.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl.  I'll have to check them out.  Good point about it working over another jacket...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:32:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rain Gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!