Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Savage - First Ride
06/05/04 at 17:24:44

Roll Eyes
Hello,

I've lurked in this bulleting board for some time now and decided I'd post something once I had something to contribute.

Well let me say I'm a newbie out in the world of motorcycling.  I've ridden four wheelers and a crappy dirt bike, but nothing road worthy.  I bought my cycle in early may when the weather here in Michigan just started to break.  It was in the paper for $2800 obo with low miles.  I took a friend who is a "bike guy" having owned over 10 cycles I figured he knew what was good and what was crap in the used market.  I had set my sights on the Savage because of the good things I've read on various sites and the lower maintenance (ahem, all things need maintenance!).  I originally wanted a Buell Blast but after reading some posts that it was almost impossible to keep a good running engine due to its placement in the frame.  

Anyways I did a once over on the bike (a good read is the used bike buying guide that's available on the net).  It had only 1400 miles on it (now 1410, yeah I know that's alot of circles around the lot! Ahem, more on that later).  I had my friend take it for a ride as he has his endorsement and his comment was that is was a torquey little *itch.  He's a big guy (so am I) and drives a Bandit sport bike, so that's quite a complement.  Needless to say the silver and chrome kept saying "take me home!"  Not to mention the tires still had their new tire nubs on them.  Obviously the first owner just got his wheels under him and the Harley Upgrade put the Savage in the corner of the garage.  (And  $2550 later it was on the way to my home.)

Anyways I've made an upgrade to the bike, which is a Cycle Nation medium tint shield (put it on today).  I did a once over again on the bike adjusted the shocks, ect, ect basically made the thing ready to ride for when I get my license in three weeks.  So I'm sitting there admiring my work and thought to myself.  "Hey, you could hop on it........" Being that I didn't want to look like a total noob on the driving range I decided to push it three feet into the church parking lot next door.

Pulled the choke, started second try, eased it off after 20 seconds and let it idle for another 30.  (Did I mention that it was about 15 years since I hopped on anything remotely like the Savage? )  Let the clutch out and eased on the throttle (started a touch shaky as I didn't know the friction zone).  Zipped up first gear and made my first loop (a very wide one).  That wasn't so bad, I thought to myself and then went down to the narrow end by the alley.  Made a tight U-turn then turned back to the wide section of the lot.  This time I opened the thottle (kick in the pants later I was in second and about 35 mph).  I was thinking this cycle would be like driving a little wimpy econo car.  Not bad at all! Infact I'd say it was great.  I spent another 30 minutes doing figure eights and trips around the lot putting on a quick 10 miles on the bike.

I just can't wait to get out on the road!  I've already planned a 4th of July trip down to Fort Wayne IN.

Here's my list of Gear and Equipment for those curious:

LS 650 Savage year 2002, color silver

black leather saddle bags with silver studs and buckles

cycle nationion medium tint shield (fits pretty easy!)

Clear cycle dry bag inserts (gotta keep my clothes dry in the rain!)

Rider Gear:

Teknik Chicane Jacket

Shoie RF-1000 helmet (I tried on every brand and this one actually fits the way it should)

Well that's the basics of my first experience.  If wasn't for that whole needing an endorsement thing I'd be out and about on the Savage and not sitting here typing this.

Safe riding,

Roadie

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Savage - First Ride
Reply #1 - 06/05/04 at 18:08:51

Welcome to the cruising world.
Welcome to the Savage world.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/06/04 at 09:11:31

Congrats on the new Savage.  Just be careful, and get plenty of practice before the big trip.  Upload some pics in the gallery so we can see it.

IP Logged
maria
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/09/04 at 21:35:21

well done - i had my first long ride on the savage this weekend after 5 years, a couple of babies and
major surgery to the bike - it was fantastic, it feel s sooo good to be back. I have fallen in love with riding again, just want to be on her all the time at the moment.

We travelled around the brecon beacons in south wales and although my mate had a fzr400 old Lily kept up with him well, i was surprised how well she took the twisty roads. had lots of admirers at the local biker stop (the bike-not me unfortunately) mainly asking what the hell is it?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

:o :oRe: Savage - First Ride
Reply #4 - 06/13/04 at 22:37:25

hey roadie let us  know how ya BUT  handles the first big trip  Shocked

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #5 - 06/26/04 at 17:56:09

Tongue
Update:
Well I took my first road class today.  I can definitly say I wouldn't buy the low end Suzuki YZ250 (?).  My Savage has much better "friction control" zone than its smaller cousin.  Too bad I can't use it on the course tomarrow.  

For those whom don't live in Michigan, to get your endorsement you have to take a driving and written test.  The driving test can be done at the Secretary of State office by appointment or you can take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class that offers the "driving test".  I highly recommend this course as I've found it very useful on proper technique.  The MSF also offers an experienced rider class which, if anything like the basic class, should also be worth it.  You can also reduce your insurance rate if you take advantage of the classes.

Well the course was challenging today.  There was a high speed (2nd gear) cone weave, oval, a series of clutch and power exercises.  I'm finding the figure eight in a small box a bit of a challenge.  I find all of the higher speed exercises a breeze.  (Don't figure, outside of your more stable... ) Tomarrow's line up is another round of u turns in the small box and testing.  (Cross my fingers on that!)

Keepin' the rubber side down,

Roadie Shocked

IP Logged
Elizabeth

Reply #6 - 06/28/04 at 17:35:50

The MSF class is great. I took it here in Illinois a week before I got my bike.
I had never rode before but found it very easy.  The instructors were terrific.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/29/04 at 10:53:21

I've had my license for a long time but hadn't ridden in about 14 years, so I took the MSF as a refresher.  I thought it was probably similar to the "defensive driving" courses offered for cars.  It's a great course.  It is a basic how-to-ride-a-bike course as well as defensive driving and bikes are provided.  I would definitely recommend it to beginners.  I don't know about your state or insurance company, but most insurance companies in Texas offer a 10% discount for successful completion of the MSF course.  I believe it's good for either 2 or 3 years.  There is also an advanced course for which you use your own bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 06/30/04 at 15:13:05

Lucky us in Holland. Grin

Have not driven a bike for 36 years. And although it's not a requirement i took one lesson to get familiar with a motorcycle. After 15 minutes I felt allready confident to drive. Bought the Savage and be back on the road again.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #9 - 06/30/04 at 18:33:47

Update:
8) Cheesy

Well Sunday I passed my MSF class.  Got a 7 out of 16, 16 washes you out of the program.  You are scored on 4 exercises.  The first is a 120 degree turn in 2nd gear that is timed.  You have to slow, look, press and roll on the throttle through the turn.  Points are awarded for those who hit cones, go outside the apex of the turn, or do not roll through the turn.  The second test is the box that is 20x10 ft in which you must do a double u turn within.  I lost 5 points on that, then followed it up with a point on the swerve as my time was not fast enough (the swerve was in first gear).  The final test is the quick stop.  If you stop before the cones you wash out.  So I ate a point there by making sure I was beyond the cones before slamming on the breaks.

That was on Sunday.  Monday I was a bit sore from being on that bike so much.  

Wenesday: (Today)

I took the State of Michigan's paper test.  It was not too bad, but you have to also think every question out.  Some are a bit trixy, so look at the way they phrase things.  For instance:

To make your motorcycle more visible during the day you:

A.  Wear a white helmet.  
B.  Ride with your light on.
C.  Something totally bogus

Well in class we discussed how important bright clothing is and how you are more visible than the bike as far as area displayed in most cases.  But the answer was B, because the question was specifically target at the motorcycle, not you, and it was during the day, which means you're supposidly visible.

Anyways after that 5 minutes of work I now have my endorsement.  So what did I do next????

Went for my real first ride.  Yeah!
8)

Checked the oil, the lights, and tire pressure and off I went.  I can tell that the Savage is a bike that likes to just get out and go.  Nice low end that builds quickly, and mid range power when you need it.  I need to post a picture sometime of me and the bike..

Keepin' the rubber side down.

- Roadie  

IP Logged
Elizabeth

Reply #10 - 06/30/04 at 21:24:22

I done the same driving test in my MSF class. I got 4 points off. 3 for going out of the box on the 2 U-turns by 3 inches and 1 for going a little to slow in the 180 curve.
We took our written test in class though. It was a 50 question test. I didn't miss any but you really have to read the questions. Felt pretty good because when hubby to the one at the Sec of State which is 25 questions he failed the first time then passed 10 minutes later. Said it was because he didn't study...lol

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 07/01/04 at 11:07:34

They obviously score differently in Michigan than in Texas.  The courses may differ too.  I don't know.  I do know that the Texas scoring system allows for 21 points deducted and still passing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Elizabeth

Reply #12 - 07/01/04 at 12:30:37

In IL I think you can only have 11 points off before you are failed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 02:12:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage - First Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.