Faster savage?? (Read 59 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Faster savage??
Reply #15 - 07/07/04 at 03:39:27

50 bhp sounds good but how do You get around that nasty exhaust port, We've been here before haven't we Greg.

Clive W

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/07/04 at 07:52:24

ok...  i really like the smaller rear sprocket idea..  does anyone know where to get one?......i believe even just a tooth or two different would make the bike so much more highway worthy....  or ?   change 5th gear to a taller ratio?  the drop of just 3oo or 4oo rpm at highway speeds would be wonderful....

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/07/04 at 09:46:36

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
50 bhp sounds good but how do You get around that nasty exhaust port, We've been here before haven't we Greg.

Clive W

I haven't cracked open my motor yet so I'm not sure what is so nasty about the exhaust port...??

IP Logged
LondonThing-co-uk
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/07/04 at 10:27:12

as for a lighter bike, With the rear fender removed, and all ally front end, i can almost pick up the bike, well not quite but im sure much lighter than standard...

Have a look
www.londonthing.net/savage.htm

ChrisF..

PS, bike is still for sale Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 07/09/04 at 10:01:27

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

Clive W

True...the exhaust port that is squared off, and possibly has an oil passage running scross the top of it to prevent any serious grinding.  (That project is still on the list for next winter).

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/09/04 at 10:13:35

Hogging out ports by taking away a ton of material is the worst way to port.  Good for flow bench numbers and engines that rev to 10,000rpm but not good for low revvers...

You want to port in a manner that is conducive to low speed velocity being maintained.  Line of sight is one easy method.  Also, if you know a bit about fluid dynamics you can get a rough idea on what areas of the port could use some work the most.

...of course you could have already done all of the empirical testing necessary that validates the claim that the areas most needed to be ported for improved flow happen to be the areas where you cannot port due to intrusive oil passages.  In this case why not just polish the exhuast port as much as possible and debur the factory casting errors...its better than nothing.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #21 - 07/09/04 at 12:36:58

Have You looked at the exhaust port yet?

Clive W

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/09/04 at 13:29:43

I'm now going to put my EFI project on hold.  I have been talking to the guy I go to for all my headwork needs (Dan Paramore down in Cali) and I am *tentaviely* planning to send my head down to him for his special touch.  At that time I'll be able to look at the ports (when I tear it down) and he can give me his "professional" opinion.  I'll do a dyno run before hand and after at the same place up here and we'll see what can be pulled out of the head.  I am probably going to have him give me a "stage VI" job where he will radius blend the valves and seats (over the 3 angle job), polish and port intake and exhaust...intake polishing will be a very mild/rough polish, re-configure the combustion chamber for 9.5:1 CR and a cloverleaf style pentroof design for knock resistance, and other little tricks he has up his sleeves.

Then we'll see what can be accomplished with just headwork, jardine slip on exhaust and re-jetting the carb (all else stock).

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #23 - 07/10/04 at 08:44:56

Hope it all works out for You, will You share the results with us.

Clive W

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 07/10/04 at 12:25:47

Definitely.  If I were not sharing the results I probably wouldn't bother with the before and after dyno just because I already know the quality of this guys work from magazine articles and the results of the headwork he has done on my car.

His headwork has set a new AMA 250 stock class record for hp.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 07/11/04 at 04:02:58

PRH111 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hogging out ports by taking away a ton of material is the worst way to port.  Good for flow bench numbers and engines that rev to 10,000rpm but not good for low revvers...

You want to port in a manner that is conducive to low speed velocity being maintained.  Line of sight is one easy method.  Also, if you know a bit about fluid dynamics you can get a rough idea on what areas of the port could use some work the most.

...of course you could have already done all of the empirical testing necessary that validates the claim that the areas most needed to be ported for improved flow happen to be the areas where you cannot port due to intrusive oil passages.  In this case why not just polish the exhuast port as much as possible and debur the factory casting errors...its better than nothing.

"Hogging out" ports is not the method that we were planning.  Using the "line of sight" idea was.  The metal we were discussing is indeed in the line of sight.  There is a rather intrusive flat casting part across the top of the exhaust which lies just inside the rather restrictive exhaust outlet....(I wish there was an easier method for posting photos).....and while looking at the lubrication schematic for the engine, I became aware of the possibility that an oil passage is contained in this area....an oil return from the top of the head cover.

I have, infact, polished my intake port.  That was easy once I removed the valves.  The idea to port the exhaust only came after I installed the freer flowing Raask drag pipe in '03.

Since I normally tear the bike apart during the winter, diving into the exhaust was placed on my '04 to do list.

If you'd like a photo, I'll send it offlist.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 07/14/04 at 09:45:52

Yes, please send the images to my email.

egarimnikuf at yahoo dot com

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 07/16/04 at 11:57:51

Yes, please send the images to my email.

egarimnikuf at yahoo dot com

I'll do it....

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #28 - 07/19/04 at 12:56:49

Firstly, lower weight means at higher speeds the aerodynamic lift will be worse and you will have a greater chance of meeting an untimely demise.

as i am reading this i am thinking about my first time out on a longer highway ride this past saturday. i fought and fought the wind. and just did not feel like i was under control of the bike at 70mph.
the bike and i together don't quite weigh 500 pounds.

Quote:
Secondly, aerodynamic drag doesn't care about weight nearly as much as it does your frontal surface area and coefficient of drag (as far as keeping you from reaching a certain speed goal goes).

or perhaps it was drag and not lack of weight? i was wearing a jacket with zippered vents all open.

i know i can ride the bike and handle it, but i can't seem to get past 60 without being blown all over my lane.

i know this is not your topic but it seems quite related in a tangent sort of way.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 07/19/04 at 13:38:08

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
as i am reading this i am thinking about my first time out on a longer highway ride this past saturday. i fought and fought the wind. and just did not feel like i was under control of the bike at 70mph.
the bike and i together don't quite weigh 500 pounds.

or perhaps it was drag and not lack of weight? i was wearing a jacket with zippered vents all open.

i know i can ride the bike and handle it, but i can't seem to get past 60 without being blown all over my lane.

i know this is not your topic but it seems quite related in a tangent sort of way.

Do you have a windshield?  Might reduce that feeling of being blown around....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:14:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Faster savage??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.