Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Advanced MSF Course
07/30/04 at 08:17:47

I know lots of people have taken the beginner course (highly recommended for all riders, by the way) but has anyone taken the advanced course?  If so, would you recommend it?

What sort of skills did you learn?  

How long do you think someone should be riding before taking the advanced course?  In PA, they suggest 6 months riding experience does that seem about right?

Thanks, Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Advanced MSF Course
Reply #1 - 07/30/04 at 10:58:27

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I know lots of people have taken the beginner course (highly recommended for all riders, by the way) but has anyone taken the advanced course?  If so, would you recommend it?

What sort of skills did you learn?  

How long do you think someone should be riding before taking the advanced course?  In PA, they suggest 6 months riding experience does that seem about right?

Thanks, Susan

We haven't taken it, but others say it is great.  I suppose too that it would also take a years advance planning to get a spot in that class in this state (always full).

6 months?  I just bet that it's time to take the course when you start feeling confident in your riding abilities...you know, like when you drag the pegs going through some swishing curves, and think to yourself, "darn, I'm good"   Shocked

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 08/10/04 at 05:45:26

Thanks for your thoughts Greg.

Since no one here seems to have taken the course, I posted the same question on the Heise forum and got several responses from people who had taken the course.

Here's the link if you are interested:  http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/messages/33587.html

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 08/10/04 at 09:07:06

I've done the silver star rider course (your beginner level) but don't feel ready for the gold star rider course just yet. Cheesy

Clive W

IP Logged
fevest
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/02/04 at 06:10:29

HI,

My wife and I just took that course on august 31st.  We both passed.
The course was very good, it teachs emergency braking, and several low speed handling techniques.
My wife has the savage and I have a honda vtx 1800.  We used our own bikes.  
The wife has only been riding about 3 months, she passed with a higher grade than me!  Working that 1800 in one of the tight turn exercises was a pain, handlebars at full lock doing a figure 8.  Had to put my foot down.
Take it and enjoy it.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #5 - 09/02/04 at 07:19:21

fevest wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
HI,

My wife and I just took that course on august 31st.  We both passed...Take it and enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice.  I am planning to finish out this riding season and then take it in the spring.  Just out of curiosity, what state did you take it in?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #6 - 09/02/04 at 07:29:25

Here is some information I copied from our Texas area website regarding the Advanced course:

The Experienced Rider Course is approximately 5 hours of on-cycle instruction.  Students must be licensed operators who currently ride on a regular basis. The course objective is to provide students with the skills identified as lacking in the accident-involved motorcyclist. On-cycle instruction covers street strategies and special situations, advanced turning, braking, and evasive skills.  

Each student attending the Experienced Rider Course will be required to provide their own motorcycle. Motorcycles must be licensed, insured, and street-worthy. Proof of insurance is required.  There is no lunch break during this class so we recommend you bring snacks.

Out here in West Texas, the course is offered on an "on demand" schedule.  The instructor told me that if I could get 4-6 folks rounded up, they would offer the course.  I do believe that 6 months of riding experience would be helpful prior to taking the course.

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/02/04 at 08:23:45

I haven't taken the advanced course here in Ohio yet but I did take the Started course and found out some info about the other one.

After what I heard I'm not sure I would take it unless I got a different bike. (Smaller)

One of the first things they teach you is doing the cone swerve with one hand!  With my wide drag bars I don't think I would want to try that one.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 09/02/04 at 16:00:34

Munson_kl279 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I haven't taken the advanced course here in Ohio yet but I did take the Started course and found out some info about the other one.

After what I heard I'm not sure I would take it unless I got a different bike. (Smaller)

One of the first things they teach you is doing the cone swerve with one hand!  With my wide drag bars I don't think I would want to try that one.

I went to your site and looked at your new bike work.  Looks good.

I think that the purpose of the advanced course is to help you better control your present ride....not a different ride.  Otherwise, they might just have everyone riding 250s, the same as the beginner course.

If those 33 1/4" drag bars are difficult for a swerve, it might be really good to take the course.  

BTW - in the beginner course, when we all rode little bikes, one of the MSF instructors demontrated the flawless execution of that killer "figure eight" skill test with a huge fully dressed Hog.  No feet down or anything.  I was impressed.

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #9 - 09/02/04 at 17:57:15

Susan,

I took the course in IL last year and highly recommend it. It built on the principles taught in the beginners class and was also a nice refresher to help break some bad habits that developed.

In IL they suggest 1 yr and 1000 miles. I would agree with that as a guideline.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 09/02/04 at 20:21:49

Honda_fan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Susan,

I took the course in IL last year and highly recommend it. It built on the principles taught in the beginners class and was also a nice refresher to help break some bad habits that developed.

In IL they suggest 1 yr and 1000 miles. I would agree with that as a guideline.

Thanks for the thoughts.  It definitely sounds like a worthwhile course.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/03/04 at 04:52:34

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
If those 33 1/4" drag bars are difficult for a swerve, it might be really good to take the course.  

Well, I can swerve with 'em just not one handed. Wink

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/07/04 at 12:53:09

Here we show listed a Beginer course... and Intermediate Course (which you describe from their recomendation of 6 months or at least 1000 miles) and a Advanced course. Thats MSF in South Carolina anyway...

So not certain which one we are realy talking about here because no ones mentioned Intermediate by name so far. Here, at the DMV discretion, they can accept Intermediate Course and for full license. Both Advanced and Intermediate require you to ride your own bike. And they discourage you from taking up space in the Beginer course if you have about 1000 miles riding experience and suggest you go to the intermediate course directly. They tout the Advanced as a refresher for people with full licenses and wanting to learn some more skills or refresh thier riding habits.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 09/08/04 at 03:43:11

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Here we show listed a Beginer course... and Intermediate Course (which you describe from their recomendation of 6 months or at least 1000 miles) and a Advanced course. Thats MSF in South Carolina anyway...

So not certain which one we are realy talking about here because no ones mentioned Intermediate by name so far. Here, at the DMV discretion, they can accept Intermediate Course and for full license. Both Advanced and Intermediate require you to ride your own bike. And they discourage you from taking up space in the Beginer course if you have about 1000 miles riding experience and suggest you go to the intermediate course directly. They tout the Advanced as a refresher for people with full licenses and wanting to learn some more skills or refresh thier riding habits.

And I guess that down in SC they need the extra courses for all those riders without a helmet too.  Roll Eyes

The spouse and I had a good time without a helmet, riding along the beach in Charleston but above that speed even I feel better wearing a skid lid.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 09/08/04 at 05:44:19

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
...no ones mentioned Intermediate by name so far...

Lucky you to have three courses.  In PA we don't have an intermediate course.  Just the beginner and advanced courses.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:15:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advanced MSF Course

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!