Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Faster savage?? (Read 59 times)
LondonThing-co-uk
Ex Member

Faster savage??
06/01/04 at 16:22:10

Anyone know and good tricks/ideas to get Savages to go faster, or acelerate quicker?, and please dont recomend 'go faster' stripes Smiley lol

ChrisF..

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Faster savage??
Reply #1 - 07/01/04 at 06:25:08

The usual, pipe+jet kit.

Clive W

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 07/01/04 at 10:48:42

And go downhill Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/03/04 at 04:06:11

How about drafting behind a big rig or always riding down wind?

Actually, Clive is more correct.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/03/04 at 22:43:50

I DONT THINK THEY NEED TO ACCELERATE ANY FASTER.HOW EVER SOME MORE TOP END WOULD BE NICE. A SMALLER PULLY ON THE BACK WOULD BE GREAT FOR LONG TRIPS ON THE HIGHWAY . BUT I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO TRACK ANY DOWN. SO IF ANY ONE KNOWS OF ANY LET US KNOW. Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 07/04/04 at 04:54:45

AL_DOWN_UNDER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I DONT THINK THEY NEED TO ACCELERATE ANY FASTER.HOW EVER SOME MORE TOP END WOULD BE NICE. A SMALLER PULLY ON THE BACK WOULD BE GREAT FOR LONG TRIPS ON THE HIGHWAY . BUT I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO TRACK ANY DOWN. SO IF ANY ONE KNOWS OF ANY LET US KNOW. Undecided

That's why a conversion to chain drive would be handy.  Increase the rear sprocket for doing wheelies  Shocked and decrease it for the interstate.....even a dual sprocket setup like those old Harley 250's  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 07/05/04 at 05:13:06

You could try a taller rear tire, like a 140/90/15 instead of the std 140/80/15. That gives you 4.7 % higher gearing.

Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 07/05/04 at 05:34:58

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
You could try a taller rear tire, like a 140/90/15 instead of the std 140/80/15. That gives you 4.7 % higher gearing.

Clive W

Yeah, that would work, but what about rubbing on the bolts for the fender rail (saddle bag brackets)?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 07/05/04 at 06:24:56

Yes there is that.

Clive W

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 07/05/04 at 06:36:57

140/90/15 = 24.92

140/80/15 = 23.81

difference 1.11"on diameter or .555" more radius.

Clive W

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 07/05/04 at 07:00:26

That is an increase of 4.6%...not quite enough for a speeding ticket as long as you aren't pushing the indicated speed anyway...it will effect the speedo accuracy.  I guess 60 mph would be ~62-63 mph.

That would make the seat 1/2" taller too, eh?

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #11 - 07/05/04 at 10:40:26

> Anyone know and good tricks/ideas
> to get Savages to go faster

NOS   It's fairly simple to hook up and very efficient.  There are kits available, do a Google.

It works this way:
Install two jets between carb and engine.   Each jet has a feed tube: one line goes to the NOS bottle's solenoid, the other to a small fuel pump which draws fuel from the tank (rig a T connector after the petcock).  Wire the pump and solenoid to the horn button.  Pressing the horn will inject gasoline and NOS into the manifold at the same time.  Hold on.  Note: the engine 'must' be spinning high revs when you activate the system.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #12 - 07/06/04 at 18:56:48

It's not the easiest thing to do, just like on ourselves...

Weight Reduction.

There are two types of weight to consider on a bike. Sprung and UNSprung weight.  

Unsprung weight is that which is below the springing.  Lowering the unsprung weight results in better handling by having less momentum when the wheels bounce around causing the bike to have faster response to road variations.  This one of the reasons why discs are drilled, aluminum wheels were made etc.  There's not much you can do on the Savage AFAICT to reduce unsprung weight, maybe than remove the front fender and the belt cover on the rear.  You could put on aluminum wheels, but that's probably a task that would be more trouble than it's worth.

Sprung weight, of course, is anything above the suspension.  the rear fender could go, the sissybar and side trim could go, and the stock muffler is also an easy choice and is quite heavy compared to a pipe or harley muffler.  Other things might be the tool kit, side pans, air box, get  smaller race styled handlebars, kickstand (if you're gonna race).  I once saw a formula that equated pounds off to horsepower added but durned if I can find it now. It may have been in a book.  

When I rode an RD350 when I was about 25 I actually dieted to reduce pounds from the rider as well. Thats something I should still consider 25 years later, but i'v only added a pound a year, so that's not to bad, and the Savage IS torquey.  Roll Eyes

Hey, I found a calculator... http://www.amaprostar.com/dynos.asp

It's kind of like back packing.  I used to cut most of the handle off my toothbrush to lose an ounce.  When I began backpacking, I toted 45 pounds on my back, by the time I stopped, I could pack in all I needed but had whittled it down to 23 pounds, a few ounces at a time.

I guess you could do the same as well on your bike.

Also, another thread from another world...
http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=6ec51f08bf47618...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/06/04 at 22:11:46

As far as top speed weight reduction will have its limits.

Firstly, lower weight means at higher speeds the aerodynamic lift will be worse and you will have a greater chance of meeting an untimely demise.

Secondly, aerodynamic drag doesn't care about weight nearly as much as it does your frontal surface area and coefficient of drag (as far as keeping you from reaching a certain speed goal goes).

Weight loss will increase acceleration, increase miles per gallon for city driving and hill climbing, decrease brake wear, decrease brake fade, decrease braking distance (this one will be the most limited in real life effects due to other factors and especially from where the weight is removed), increase handling agility.  May have a very marginal increase in top end only if your current top speed is very limited due to a very heavy bike.

In addition to exhuast and jets you could look into a K&N (and jets to support this and the exhaust), headwork (mostly port and polish as the valves already have a 3 angle cut on them from the factory), increase compression ratio (either a new custom piston from JE, arias, Wiseco, etc or from having your head performance shop weld in more material on the combustion chamber and reshape it for increased knock resistance and compression ratio).  Cam regrind (billet would be better but a single camshaft done billet will cost you big bucks even if it is a small motorcycle camshaft).

You could also turbocharge...but that would probably be an order of magnitude more difficult than getting the headwork and cam done.

With proper planning and a good tuner working on the motor I see 50hp (flywheel) being a completely reasonable goal for this engine...not sure if the air cooling can keep up with that though.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/06/04 at 22:16:39

I just thought of two things that will reduce drag:

Remove the front fender.

Find a more aerodynamic front wheel.  Either fewer spokes or simply a disc, or "mag" three spoke style wheel.  Spoked wheels develop a lot of drag at high speeds.  Reduction of drag on the front wheel will probably also make it more stable at high speeds...but crosswinds will have a greater effect on the front end with a solid disc front wheel (so I guess this means you should just increase your speed to compensate?  Tongue ).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:55:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Faster savage??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.