Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end? (Read 550 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it en
Reply #60 - 05/08/24 at 01:02:26

Sweeeet!  That's a hotrod for sure.  Looks like full lines of communication are open.  Your workshop is a bit rough around the edges, but we can make do.

Before you touch anything let's gather up some data.  That way we will know what you started with.

First things first.  Disconnect your negative battery cable.  The Savage has a mysterious habit of going into auto-start mode with absolutely no warning.  It has something to do with the decompression relay.  It's always a good practice to disconnect the battery before you start workin on your motorcycle, but on the Savage it's imperative.

Disconnect_Battery.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #61 - 05/08/24 at 01:06:52

Check the free play at your clutch lever and tell us what it is.  It should be about 1/8".  Lightly pull on the lever to take up any slack in the cable, then look at the gap between the lever and perch.  Take a picture so we can see what you've got,

Like this.

Clutch_Lever_Free_Play.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #62 - 05/08/24 at 01:07:55

Loosen the adjuster at the lever perch and screw it all the way in.

Like this.

Adjuster_All_the_Way_In.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #63 - 05/08/24 at 01:10:43

Then unhook the clutch cable from the release arm on the clutch cover.  The cable must be unhooked so that it does not obstruct your view or interfere with release arm movement.

Cable_Hooked.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 05/08/24 at 01:12:27

Once the cable is unhooked, you should be able to clearly see the two marks on the crankcase.  

These are the marks in question.

Engine_Case_Marks.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #65 - 05/08/24 at 01:27:21

Use a suitable solvent (Brakleen, alcohol, etc.) to clean all the oil and grease off the clutch cover in way of the release arm.  You will be applying a reference mark on the cover with a permanent marker.  Protect the reference mark.  Don't wash it off.  Wait until all your inspection and setup work is complete before you wash the cover for final reassembly.

Place a 12" crescent wrench on the release arm and let it hang.  Don't push on the wrench.  Don't try and cycle the wrench with your hand.  I believe you have a stock release cam.  They are prone to failure.  Exercising the release arm with the wrench could break the cam.  Just let the weight of the wrench take up all the freeplay in the release assembly.

It should look like this.

Take_up_Free_Play.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #66 - 05/08/24 at 01:31:03

With the weight of the crescent wrench taking up all the free play, observe the position of the release arm in relation to the two marks on the crankcase.  Take a picture so we can see where it is.

The desired position should be like this.  Show us how yours is.

Correct_Alignment_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #67 - 05/08/24 at 01:35:05

Reconfirm that there is no grease or oil on the clutch cover in way of the release arm.  Then use a permanent marker to make a reference mark on the clutch cover.  Just use the release arm like a ruler and draw a nice clear line along the top edge of the arm.  Take a picture so we can see how it lines up.

Like this.

Mark_Clutch_Cover.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #68 - 05/08/24 at 01:38:26

Take the crescent wrench off the release arm.  Let the arm move down and verify that your reference mark is clearly visible and has a nice sharp edge.  Note how much my release arm has moved down from the reference mark.  Does your move down about the same amount?  Take a picture so we can see.

It should look like this.

Sharpie_Mark_on_Clutch_Cover_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #69 - 05/08/24 at 01:52:38

Once you have collected the as-found data, and posted the results, hang tight so we can digest the info.  If we don't have any other requests, we will provide further instructions.  Don't just forge ahead, the results of your initial checks might warrant additional inspections prior to disassembly.  

The photos are important.  They allow us to actually see the parts.  Although it takes time to collect and post the photos, they save a lot of time in the long run.  Sometimes, a defect might not be obvious to one member, but another member may be intimately familiar with it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 05/09/24 at 16:25:26

Thanks DBM, should be able to get this data after work tomorrow and upload. Appreciate this

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #71 - 05/10/24 at 21:03:34

Can't wait to hear and see the results.  Here is another vid that I think you will find informative.  I have five or six additional vids ready to go, but I want you to collect the info I requested before I post the additional vids.  I don't want to get you off track.

I believe you will see from this vid why I want you to accurately mark your clutch cover.  It will be very useful.  You don't want to just fix your clutch; you also want to figure out why it keeps failing.  Do you think you can find some steel shim stock, maybe an old beat-up feeler gage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzxlKaLVJA

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 05/11/24 at 09:26:17

Sorry for the delay DBM -- want to be respectful of your time here. We've just been getting consistently rained out this week.

In any event, here are some photos:

This is the freeplay at the perch as it currently sits.

perch_freeplay.jpg
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 05/11/24 at 09:27:17

Here is the lever will freeplay taken out as instructed with the crescent wrench:

lever_freeplay_test.jpg
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 05/11/24 at 09:30:02

and, shockingly, here i the lever with the wrench removed at the bottom of it's free travel. mind you, it will not drop down to this position loosely -- a gentle push puts in in this position where it stays -- I believe this to be wear between the cam and the actuating shaft. Just to clarify further I am putting no weight on the arm in this picture, I am not actuating the arm with the wrench. This is the lowest position of the available freeplay with no force acted upon the arm.

arm_lowest_position.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 16:47:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.