Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help me understand the rear brake wear indicator… (Read 41 times)
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help me understand the rear brake wear indicator…
04/19/24 at 17:31:50

I have 25k miles and am going in for new tires next week. I have never changed the rear brakes. They make a decent squeal constantly, but I’m sure if I should buy some shoes for the mechanic to swap while the wheel is off.

First photo is the brake without the brake pedal depressed…

This is with the brake pedal depressed.
How do I read it?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Help me understand the rear brake wear indicat
Reply #1 - 04/19/24 at 18:20:22

Your's isn't moving much towards the rear (worn).  I've tried to do a mark up.  Rear Line (Red) is worn.  Forward Mark (Green) is good.  The actual index groove mark (Yellow) is on the shaft (don't use the gap in the clamp even though it's pretty close to the same).

You look ok.  For whatever reason I can't post my mark up photo.  I'm getting security error.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/19/24 at 18:39:21

I think I understand what you are saying. At first I thought I had to measure from the clamp…until I noticed the mark on the shaft like you mentioned. It looks like I have quite a bit to go still.

I noticed our bikes call for the EBC 606, but they also make a grooved version the EBC 606G

https://i.postimg.cc/vTd44WTZ/IMG-8146.jpg

What is the benefit of that? Maybe fix the squeal and not lock up as easy?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/20/24 at 04:35:18

Noisy brakes can be a result of dirt or rust build up on the lining.  When the motorcycle is on the kickstand it leans to the left - which can allow water to pool inside the brake when you wash the bike (or it gets rained on).

Removing the rear wheel and cleaning off any rust from the lining with sandpaper, and doing the same to clean off any glaze or rust embedded into the brake lining can quiet things down.  Clean the parts with brake clean after the light sanding.  Keep the brake cleaner away from the shaft as you don't want to wash out the lube.

After you wash the bike go for a ride to dry things off - never wash and then put the bike away without going for a ride to heat up the engine and   brakes and dry them out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/20/24 at 06:11:39

Sound recommendations, Dave!

I did dab a small amount of grease on the internal shaft parts (maybe not a great idea since it will attract brake dust, but I haven’t had any issues).

Supposedly, the grooved EBC shoes are designed to channel dust and debris away.  I don’t buy the hype, but it probably helps when the shoes are newer.  Eventually, the shoes will wear down and the grooves will be filled with dust…and the dust has to go somewhere.  It will always be in the drum regardless of grooves or no groves.  Ya just gotta clean no matter what.  And tire change intervals give you a good brake cleaning time interval.

I installed these Niche brake shoes on a previous S40 I had.  No issues - I give ‘em 4-5 stars.  I won’t buy EBC stuff anymore after seeing a pair of disc pads completely separate from the plates.

At the end of the day, a drum brake is never going to have great stopping power and performance regardless of which brand of shoes it has installed.  Plus, I mostly just use the rear brake to illuminate the brake light and signal traffic behind me. I do 70-80% of my braking with the front brake (and engine braking).

NICHE SHOES ——>  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Z1QRSP7?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/20/24 at 18:35:18

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/20/24 at 06:11:39:
I won’t buy EBC stuff anymore after seeing a pair of disc pads completely separate from the plates.

I guess that is something we just have to agree not to agree about.  I have used EBC products almost exclusively - and they have always worked just fine until they are worn away and need to be replaced after many miles of use.  When I order replacements - I order EBC.  The EBC organics work very well on the Savage and are far better than the factory pads.  I have recommended that our forum members use EBC Organic pads, and will continue to do so.

The one set of EBC pads that I saw posted on the forum that had separated were on a bike that sits outside, and they were painted red that is likely the Carbon X compound.  This is more commonly used on ATV and Enduro motorcycles and I accidently bought a set once - they did not work well on the Savage and the lever pressure required to make them work was excessive.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/20/24 at 20:52:13

Dave wrote on 04/20/24 at 18:35:18:
ThumperPaul wrote on 04/20/24 at 06:11:39:
I won’t buy EBC stuff anymore after seeing a pair of disc pads completely separate from the plates.

I guess that is something we just have to agree not to agree about.  I have used EBC products almost exclusively - and they have always worked just fine until they are worn away and need to be replaced after many miles of use.  When I order replacements - I order EBC.  The EBC organics work very well on the Savage and are far better than the factory pads.  I have recommended that our forum members use EBC Organic pads, and will continue to do so.

The one set of EBC pads that I saw posted on the forum that had separated were on a bike that sits outside, and they were painted red that is likely the Carbon X compound.  This is more commonly used on ATV and Enduro motorcycles and I accidently bought a set once - they did not work well on the Savage and the lever pressure required to make them work was excessive.

That was mine - they were about 1 year old when they separated. Yes, the bike is stored outside, but this just shouldn't happen under any circumstances. And it wasn't just one incidental bad pad, both front pads were separated, so it's definitely a systemic issue.

I had the replaced with OEM pads, if my memory serves me right, and shortly after upgraded to a big brake kit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 19:43:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help me understand the rear brake wear indicator…

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.