Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebar information (87' savage) (Read 40 times)
andrewmanzano
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Handlebar information (87' savage)
04/17/24 at 19:28:12

Hey guys I'm a rookie mechanic attempting to get away from these buck horn handlebars. I really like the low tracker handlebars, and also burley scramblers.

My problem is I want to attempt to make the switch without messing with my cables too much so I wanted to get some advice about how big my risers should be. I was thinking 2-4 inches but I was hoping somebody here has done a similar change and could give me some advice about what size risers would be most convenient.

I will attach some photos of the handlebars I am interested in.

12345545.PNG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Handlebar information (87' savage)
Reply #1 - 04/18/24 at 05:05:23

With bars like you’re considering, you should be fine with 2-4” risers.  I had 2” risers with some 8” riser z-bars (like mini ape hangers) on my last bike, and standard/stock cables and brake line still worked.  Those bars were only about 28.5” wide - so you have to account for that too.  The hydraulic brake line is the most stretched in terms of needed length.

In your photos, I like the bars on the right better personally.  The cross member bar on the other bars looks too “dirt bike” for my taste.

Hopefully someone else with those type of bars can chime in about their installation experience.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/18/24 at 06:58:47

Tank clearances needs to be considered. 4” of rise at the grip will do it. After that cable length will come into play. Buckhorn bars come with longer cables than drag bars and you can route the cables in various ways to make the most of what you got.

WWW   IP Logged
andrewmanzano
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/18/24 at 16:41:56

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/18/24 at 05:05:23:
With bars like you’re considering, you should be fine with 2-4” risers.  I had 2” risers with some 8” riser z-bars (like mini ape hangers) on my last bike, and standard/stock cables and brake line still worked.  Those bars were only about 28.5” wide - so you have to account for that too.  The hydraulic brake line is the most stretched in terms of needed length.

In your photos, I like the bars on the right better personally.  The cross member bar on the other bars looks too “dirt bike” for my taste.

Hopefully someone else with those type of bars can chime in about their installation experience.

-I am leaning towards the right option as well. I will most likely purchase those. Thanks for the info on the risers as well.

IP Logged
andrewmanzano
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/18/24 at 16:43:32

verslagen1 wrote on 04/18/24 at 06:58:47:
Tank clearances needs to be considered. 4” of rise at the grip will do it. After that cable length will come into play. Buckhorn bars come with longer cables than drag bars and you can route the cables in various ways to make the most of what you got.

-Ahh that makes sense. So I will most likely have MORE cable length not less. So the general consensus is that 4' risers will probably do the trick. I will be doing this work over the summer so I will post before and after when I am complete.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 04/21/24 at 09:46:11

My bars are similar to the ones in your right side pic. With the stock Suzuki risers for drag bars everything clears nicely.

2019-06-09_15_55_53.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 19:55:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar information (87' savage)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.