Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tires - Cheap and Sticky (Read 166 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Tires - Cheap and Sticky
Reply #15 - 03/12/24 at 17:17:24

I like the positive reviews on the Kenda!  That’s good to hear for a really affordable tire.  And the votes that 130/90 gets the job done on the Savage is good to know.  For $150 for a pair of tires, the Kenda are hard to pass up and give a shot!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/13/24 at 21:32:44

Has anyone had any experience or otherwise opinions on the pierelli MT route 66 tires? They are relatively cheap and referred to as very sticky. I've been eyeing them as my next set but tire supply seems really low currently across retailers.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/07/24 at 15:45:02

Want to revive this short lived thread for a moment, while I'm budgeting for new parts for other issues.

I've been seriously unhappy with the metzler 888's I've been running. I find them to be hard, unreliable in wet especially.

Is the general consensus that the kendas mentioned previously are the best, current, sticky tire options for us?

Let's assume cost is not a constraint, what would the community say is the best grip tire on the market today?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/08/24 at 04:17:29

Surviving Philly wrote on 05/07/24 at 15:45:02:
I've been seriously unhappy with the metzler 888's I've been running. I find them to be hard, unreliable in wet especially.

Let's assume cost is not a constraint, what would the community say is the best grip tire on the market today?

The Metzler 888 is a high mileage tire - the rubber is compounded for lots of miles before it is worn out.  The Michelin Commander is similar, and some folks get 20,000 miles from them.  This hard rubber focuses on mileage - not wet weather traction, and they can be scary when riding on wet roads.

My personal budget "Go To" tire is the Shinko Tourmaster 230.  It provides good wet weather grip and will likely last 10,000 miles, and it is priced reasonably.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 05/08/24 at 04:50:18

I like Dave’s recommendation.  He’s tried way more tires than most people from all those burnouts and scraping his knees in the twisties!

My tire guy whines about Shinko being difficult to bead, but no one else seems to have this problem.  I think he just had a bad experience so now he shuns the tires and won’t install them.

I can only compare the Michelin Commander II, Dunlop D404, and original IRC.  As Dave noted, the Michelin aren’t great for traction.  The Dunlop seem heavy but better traction.  The IRC seemed good all around.

Since my installer guy refuses to do Shinko installation, I’m actually considering going with the OEM IRC tires in the exact OEM size match for $225/set.

I’ve narrowed my shopping down to the Shinko, IRC, and Kenda based on other people’s input and my own experience.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?code=SS-M-G-P-NA-PLA-CRUISER&key=IRC-GS18-...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/09/24 at 03:01:21

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/08/24 at 04:50:18:
I like Dave’s recommendation.  He’s tried way more tires than most people from all those burnouts and scraping his knees in the twisties!

My tire guy whines about Shinko being difficult to bead, but no one else seems to have this problem.  I think he just had a bad experience so now he shuns the tires and won’t install them.

I have mounted several sets of Tour aster 230's, and they are not at all weird or difficult to mount.  You have to put tubes in them for the Savage - but it is still a normal installation.  Shinko makes a lot of different styles of tires - maybe your installer should expand his horizons and mount some Tourmasters for you!

Mounting "GT" rated Sport Touring tires is a real challenge.  They are designed for the heavier bikes and they have stiff casings to help maintain their shape when you are loaded up and riding double!  They are especially challenging when they are cold - setting them in the sun helps a great deal.  Unfortunately the last one I mounted was for the Texas trip and I could not wait until we got hot weather and sun - so the tire and I had a wrestling match...and I eventually won with the help of a few clamps to aid in squeezing the tire on!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/09/24 at 06:05:59

I agree Dave!  I think my installer’s Shinko experience is limited to a specific difficult Shinko tire and if I remember the story correctly it was on a big Harley.  But he’s a stubborn old fart and seems to have his mind set.  I may poke the bear again about him trying it for me on the TourMaster 230s.

Yeah, we have no problem baking the tires in the sun on 140° blacktop down here in Texas!  They become like fresh baked brownies straight out of the oven!

IP Logged
Michael Moore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #22 - 05/09/24 at 18:03:19

I got my 650 home today and see that it has a pretty fresh set of tires on it from the prior owner, a Shinko 10 SF71-712F 100/90-19 on the front and an IRC Grand High Speed GS18R 140/80x 15 on the back, with the IRC appearing to be the OEM tire (though this one is definitely not the original on a 15K mile bike).  They look like real tires to me, but I won't be able to try them out for a week or so.

IIRC, 40 years ago when I raced my 750 bevel Ducati it had a 100x18 Metzler ME99 Sport on the front and a 130x18 ME77 Sport on the back.  The Ducati weighed more and had more power than the Savage, and I don't recall ever thinking that I needed wider tires (the tires I had needed more rider!  Smiley ).  I'd not be surprised if the newer Shinko/IRC have as much or more grip as those old Metzlers, and would work well for most of the 650 riders.  Modern tires have improved a lot since the old days.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 05/10/24 at 04:20:00

Michael Moore wrote on 05/09/24 at 18:03:19:
IIRC, 40 years ago when I raced my 750 bevel Ducati it had a 100x18 Metzler ME99 Sport on the front and a 130x18 ME77 Sport on the back.  The Ducati weighed more and had more power than the Savage, and I don't recall ever thinking that I needed wider tires (the tires I had needed more rider!  Smiley ).

Old Norton, Ducati, BMW and Triumph motorcycles had 4.00" or 100mm wide tires on the back and had more weight and double the HP of the Savage.  Even when raced the bikes had that narrow of a tire - I have a friend that used to race a Norton and he currently has a couple of nice restored bikes - he can ride faster on those narrow tires than a lot of the sport bike fellows he rides with.

The current use of wider tires on Cruisers is more of a fashion statement than it is a need......folks like the looks of a wide tire.  Motorcycles will accelerate faster and stick just fine with a lighter and narrower tire.  With my Cafe' bike I was experimenting with different size rims and I originally had a 2.50" wide rear rim and a 110/90-18 rear tire - it handled great and I never had a need for a wider tire.....but it looked a bit weird as we are used to seeing much wider tires on modern motorcycles.  My final choice is a 130/70-18 on a 3.50" wide rim.

Modern sport bikes have really wide tires - mostly because they have very soft compound tires and they need a lot of rubber to get any reasonable amount of tire life.  Some of those sport bike tires can wear out in 3,000 miles!

For the stock sized Savage:  The stock 140/80-15 tire is a weird size, and IRC is about the only company that makes that size.....it is an "OK" tire - but not anything special.  A 130/90-15 tire is within a few millimeters of the original size and works very well on the Savage and it provides you with far more choices in brands and styles of tire.  Some folks go to a larger 140/90-15 tire - that bigger tire is heavier and does slow the handling down a bit...it does provide for a bit taller gearing that can help correct a speedometer that reads too slow and if you spend a lot of time going in straight lines down the highway that heavier/wider/taller tire can help provide a bit more straight line stability.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 05/10/24 at 05:22:26

Thanks guys.  I’m fine with the 130/90 in the rear compared to 140/80.  Dave, you and DBM’s earlier comments about the Shinko Tour Master 230 make those my first choice.  I mentioned the IRC because they meet the criteria of “cheap” (or not expensive) and they have the exact original size.

I don’t want to replace the tires myself, so I’m really hoping I can get my installer to change his adversity towards Shinkos and do the install when the day comes.  He’s a small business local good guy that I’d like to support. And again, I really don’t want the headache of installing myself.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - Today at 11:42:03

Blue's new shoes arrived today.  Decided to go with the Shinko Tour Master 230s based on Dave's recommendations and DBM's plug for the tire.  And my installer is willing to give installation a shot since they have tubes.

At MotoSport for $189+tax = $204.  Free shipping via Fed-Ex Ground took 4 days.  IRC tubes were another $20-25 each on Amazon.

https://www.motosport.com/shinko-230-tour-master-tire-combo?variant[SHT000W]=...

I'm actiing like I might keep this project for a while.

Shinko_Tour_Master_230.JPEG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 15:45:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires - Cheap and Sticky

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.