Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Spring Fever (Read 2635 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #270 - 12/17/23 at 21:27:34

I need to catch some of Rutt's sickness!  I have been seriously side tracked from my tracker (see what I did, there?  Cool).

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #271 - 12/17/23 at 21:44:10

Ruttly

I've got the Touring windshield and the Tank Vault mounted.

I have the crash bar/engine guard on hand , also on hand is the Givi side case mounts (two buttons at the bottom and the turn-key catcher at top).

I'm waiting on the Luggage Rack to arrive.   The side cases rack and the Luggage rack share mounting bolts so I think the Luggage rack might be on the bottom ?  Huh    
I'd like to have the side cases tucked in close ... but ... I'm in no hurry so when I have both items on hand I'll check for fit to see the options.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/295326352238?fits=Make%3ARoyal+Enfield&hash=item44c2d...

It fits the 650 too .    I think it would fit just about anything with up to a 4 gallon fuel tank ?    But   It does have the "RE" emblem made into it .   The main compartment will hold a gallon of milk after expanding out the velcro .  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #272 - 12/18/23 at 04:52:42

Ruttly wrote on 12/14/23 at 04:10:34:
Hey Lancer , What size is your Amal carb ? Stock I believe is a 30mm , a swap to a 32mm is easy. Best to finish jetting on the 30 first for a baseline to work with for the 32mm.

The stock carb on the Thunderbolt is a 28mm unit.  I’ve thought about trying a 30 or 32mm carb but that will likely be a bit later, after I’ve got the Amal sorted out with the correct jets.  I’ve finally got all the components needed for the Amal, and it’s back together.  There is a rubber piece that connects the carb with the air filters that is badly aged and has numerous cracks in it.  I ordered a repair goop but it arrived a mess, the container leaked badly during shipping and was of no use.  Need to order more from another source.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #273 - 12/18/23 at 06:19:43

Hay Lancer ... how about one of those little air filters with a chrome color matching the bike color ?   I've seen them in chrome , Blueish , Redish , and Goldish .  
They come in a multitude of sizes .

Then you can use the air box for secret storage !  Roll Eyes

W_air_filter_002.png

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #274 - 12/18/23 at 22:22:49

My 250 has a 28 that I will jet using some stock specs to start. But it wil end up with a 30 with a finned intake spacer and a velocity stack with a foam air filter. Pretty sure I did some port work on it when I built it 40 years ago. It won’t be a hot rod or anything , but it will breathe good and help it give a good healthy thump for otherwise stock 250 (stock piston & cam). Guy I originally bought the 250 from had a 71 bonneville 650 with a 2 into 1 pipe and dual 32 amals , what a ride ! So yeah you can do a 30 or a 32 on your 650 , all 3 carbs are all the same exterior dimensions , change only the carb

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #275 - 12/19/23 at 18:33:32

One of the issues to deal with is for a ‘71 model it has the oil in frame with the big steel tube for a backbone that also runs down behind the carb, so the space behind the carb is only about 2.5” so even a Uni foam filter won’t fit behind the carb.  I will have to use the stock cracked rubber piece for now.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #276 - 12/20/23 at 07:52:50

Most every rubber piece on the later BSAs can be had , it’s a reproduction but no one’s gonna know but me and you. The 71 uses the same air box as a Triumph also OIF , so lm pretty sure it will be the same. Triumph also had single carb models. Lots of good British parts dealer here in the states & UK. Answers to your ?s are an email away !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #277 - 12/20/23 at 07:56:49

TheSneeze wrote on 12/17/23 at 21:27:34:
I need to catch some of Rutt's sickness!  I have been seriously side tracked from my tracker (see what I did, there?  Cool).

Oh you got the fever , it’s just misdirected.  All in good time !  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #278 - 12/20/23 at 08:03:43

Lancer when I was a kid we would make a spring out of a coat hanger & oil up a sock and that was our air filters cause we were gonna ride no matter what.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #279 - 12/20/23 at 09:14:12

Ruttly wrote on 12/20/23 at 08:03:43:
Lancer when I was a kid we would make a spring out of a coat hanger & oil up a sock and that was our air filters cause we were gonna ride no matter what.

The poor man's "Filtron"! Wink

I just cringe when I see all the old motorcycle and car engines without any form of air cleaner.  Air cleaners really didn't show up on engines  until the 1920's.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #280 - 12/22/23 at 06:38:32

Yesterday I did 180 mile loop to pickup my BSA 250 and bring her home. A rebirth of sorts for the bike maybe for me too. I’ll be able to give it a new born on date when I’m done. Tore the forks down to get at the sliders I want to polish before assembly. New tubes , springs , seals & fresh oil. Brakes will be next. My little 275 lb 250 will have the same brakes as a 650 but even more refined. The conical hubs are heavy , but stout. In the UK they call them comical hubs. The brakes are fair to good if you maintain & adjust them. It will stop just fine.  Gonna lower it a tad , give it a slightly different stance , get that COG as low as I can. Hopefully  I’ll be out hunting RE 350s this time next year !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #281 - 12/22/23 at 07:00:29

Just checked some numbers a 650 , 420 lb against 250 , 275 lb . That’s a 145 lb difference , so that’s 12) 12 lb bowling balls in a backpack I won’t be wearing.  Only real difference is horsepower. However cornering the 250 will require a different strategy than the tracker , brake late only if needed. Remember find any excuse not to use the brakes , sooner or later it will become second nature , brakes just slow you down.  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #282 - 12/23/23 at 08:16:41

I absolutely love the look on my wife’s face , absolute and total disgust and it ain’t like she hasn’t been hearing about it for months. She will get over it , think she’d be used to it by now after 30 + years and who knows how many bikes in that time. I guess the build wouldn’t have her blessing until I have to endure a few days of less than motivating comments and sour faces , if she knew I started laughing right after the door to the garage get slammed she would have my a$s ! Isn’t marriage wonderful. I got todays gift , I woke up and it’s a sunny day ! I got sliders to polish ! Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #283 - 12/25/23 at 08:54:33

Ok , Merry Christmas ! Let’s get it over with , it’s fun and good to see everyone. Clean up the mess and shove everyone out the door wave good by. So I can get back in the garage , won’t be any ride time today. But lots to do. Building forks , waiting for a friend to cut me some lowering sleeves on his lathe , in the meanwhile I’m cleaning and polishing some triumph sliders , lighter than the BSA sliders. Lineage of the BSA/Triumph fork is it was copied from a Marzzochi , in turn was copied from a Ceriani. This is why it’s always been a good /stable handling bikes. I’m really gonna surprise some bigger bikes in the tight stuff , the usual just lay back study how they corner and when the time is right , thump on by       Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #284 - 12/25/23 at 20:43:11

Ruttly

This is exactly how I see the world too !  

, brake late only if needed. Remember find any excuse not to use the brakes , sooner or later it will become second nature , brakes just slow you down.    

Those brakes are a real DRAG on getting around a curve ...   Wink

Last time I needed a brake on a twistie road was the second year I had the Guzzi V7.   Me , Dave and Stew was coming down the North side of Blood Mt. GA.   I came out of a right curve and the next left (short-90 deg) was coming up WAY TOO FAST ... so a hand-full of front brake was in order and I dropped 20mph in seemingly 20 feet .    Some times while  going down-hill ... the speed can creep-up on a feller !   Embarrassed

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 02:51:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spring Fever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.