Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Almost had a JOGcident... (Read 145 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Almost had a JOGcident...
09/06/19 at 07:07:18

Rode the Savage to work today.  Second time on the bike in ~2 months due to being under the weather physically, the real weather being too dang hot here, and being so busy with projects requiring the truck.

Anyhow, I had just made a LEGAL right turn on GREEN onto the 4 lane bypass through town, and in the opposing turning lane was a large SUV that was staring right at me as I made my turn and he literally turned left and pulled out across the first lane (left lane, I was in the right lane) trying to zip across to get to the service station on that right corner. He acted as if he was about to gun it and try to beat me across since I was going ~15mph through my LEGAL turn on GREEN, that's when I laid on the horn and raised up my right hand giving him the palm-up open hand as to say "WTF dude".  He then stopped, hanging out there in the left lane while I passed and then proceeded across.  

Just because people are staring you in the EYE, which he was because my visor was up, does not mean they are yielding to you. So many idiots think that when they make eye contact it is a free pass to do what they want because "hey...he sees me".

Do not ever take eye contact as a validator of someone not pulling out on you...take it as a note that they are probably about to try something stupid at your expense.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Almost had a JOGcident...
Reply #1 - 09/06/19 at 08:35:56

My best near miss ever

A couple of years ago, I was in the right lane of a double left turn,.. the green arrow lights and I start my turn with a big black pick-up beside me.  As I'm heading for the middle lane the truck starts easing from the fast lane line to the middle.
My Lane...
Through the corner of my eye, to the right I see a motorcycle cop, and I hope I don't have to do anything illegal to get out of this trucks way.
As I'm squeezed into the slow lane where a bus is stopped, I'm riding the white stripe and nearly doing a stoppie, the truck cuts in front of the bus to turn in to an In'n'Out Burger, and I do a little fishtail as the rear let's loose.
...and my first thought is... this looks a little crazy, hope the cop don't bust me.
When the truck clears I start to accelerate and spot the cop in my mirror with lights blazing.  As I slow to pull over he cuts behind me and pulls into In n' Out...
Bad day for the truck... Thank you karma.
Made my day.

Funny thing,.. for years I've avoided using the rear brake, specifically because I know in a panic stop I'll lock it up.
Reaction speed and adrenaline make rear brake modulation impossible for me.
...but, in a panic, that darn foot is on the brake entirely against my will.
Fortunately, the Savage seems to self-correct from a rear end slide pretty well.  

Rubber side down...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 09/06/19 at 08:51:26

Ditto on the rear brake. I crested a small hill going ~30ph to find stopped traffic. Yanked both brakes and locked up the rear, slid and fishtailed a little until I told my foot to "let go" and it corrected itself just in time for me to be at a walking pace where I could plant my feet (with sime skidding of my boots) and keep the bike upright...stopping about 3' from the stopped car.  Glad I wasn't on a 900lb bagger!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 09/06/19 at 09:48:25

I had a utility worker pull into parking spaces on the right and proceded to make a left turn into a driveway across the street right as I was about to pass.  No bilker or anything of course.  I thought I was going to end up in the bed of the pickup but was able to come to a stop right between the left curb and the bed of the truck.   Forks fully compressed with rear-wheel fishtailing slightly, but that's to be expected.

The worse part was I looked at him and said: "What the hell??"  His reply: "F%@^ YOU!!"  Which I could only take as either racist (he was a black guy) or he just tries to kill a motorcyclist.  I pulled up behind him at a red light about a half a block before.  He had to know I was there???  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 09/06/19 at 09:52:12

stewmills wrote on 09/06/19 at 08:51:26:
Ditto on the rear brake...
----------------------------

The rear brake is not a bad thing, especially during panic stops and heavy straight ling braking.  Most of the time it's actually working to keep your bike straight.   Too much rear brake when leaning over while cornering is where people get in trouble.  

Rule of thumb, get most of your braking (speed reduction) done before you corner and use trail braking to increase traction and control while cornering (not much speed reduction).  Stay upright as long as possible when panic braking.  Lay it over when you have no other recourse.

Related:  I did a fishtail during my endorsement test while doing the "panic maneuver".  I'm thinking "Oh crap, he thinks I'm showing off or reckless"...the Trooper gives me a thumbs up.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/06/19 at 10:49:38

What's an "endorsement test" ?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 09/06/19 at 11:00:40

A motorcycle endorsement was added to my state drivers license after I passed the test.  I think it's required in all states???

I have a friend who held an AMA Pro Motocross license when we were younger. He got a cited for operating a motorcycle without a license because he didn't have a valid motorcycle endorsement.   He actually got arrested during the traffic stop when he pulled out his AMA license and said: "Show me that course and I'll ride a f&*king wheelie around it!"  I had to go bail him out.  He was the guy who thought he could get away with anything as long as he did it with a certain amount of charm. Nope, not that one. What a clown!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 09/06/19 at 11:13:54

Not required in all states, at least the driving portion. In AL you just have to take the computer test and pass to get your M endorsement. Across the river in GA you do have to take the skills test (riding test) in addition to the computes test.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 09/06/19 at 11:21:06

Eegore wrote on 09/06/19 at 10:49:38:
 What's an "endorsement test" ?

Might want to check this list in case you live in one of the states on the list.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-licenses/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/06/19 at 11:33:39

Stew,

When panic stopping, always arrange to go up into the clear space between the lines of lined up stopped cars for your final stopped spot.

The idiot that tail ends the idiot that panic stops behind you and smashes him forward into the car in front of you will miss out on the chance to make red gooey jam out of you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/06/19 at 11:49:43

"Might want to check this list in case you live in one of the states on the list."

Ahh yeah that's right.  Thanks.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 09/06/19 at 14:43:13

Had more slidey back wheel incidents than I care to think about. The Savage does recover from them nicely though unless you didn't have time to pull in the clutch and stalled the motor. One time I did that and pulled off a rolling jump start and kept on trucking.
But the real scary one was when there was enough post winter grit on the roads and in an emergency stop the front wheel went slidey on me. Not as graceful a recovery since I had to put my feet down.
Get the chills whenever I think of that one.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 09/07/19 at 08:16:29

Mine was self inflicted......I was the dummy.

Riding to work a little after 4AM, heading toward the ferry.
It is winter, and very, very cold out, however, dry.

As you make your final approach toward the ferry, its downhill at about a 6% grade that is sweeping left.
Off to the right is a big cliff, the original land mass that they cut the roadway from, it very steep, with about 150 foot wall on the right hand side.

This hill was weeping water, that froze over once it hit the roadway, as thin black layered ice.....
You can't see it until you get right upon it, going DOWNHILL.....

I saw two fatboys go down, their wheels just came out from under them, so I was lucky in that sense that I had a better warning than they did.
I go on my front brake, with quick squeezing and releasing, hoping to slow my momentum...it worked to some degree.
I had both feet on the ground, I was literally skiing my bike at this point.

I was about to lay over, as I thought a controlled fall would be better than one not, as I could not turn to the slight left, and was heading to the curb, railing, etc...

That is when I saw a dry patch, and knew if I could make it to that ground, I could then gather myself up, and change my panties, etc....

I did, I righted the list, pulled my feet back up, gave it some rear brake, and aimed for better turf...the toll booth.

I made it...and I thank the low center of gravity, not my skills, for saving my butt.
I watched 2 other bike bikes drop in the few minutes I was at the toll booth.....

These guys were mad, cussing, and blaming everyone about the BS condition of the road.

I just shut up..... Grin Grin Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 09/07/19 at 09:30:01

The good thing about ice is you only leave one skid mark...
The bad thing is it's not on the ice...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 09/08/19 at 05:40:59

Good point about making sure the clutch is in Mike.  It's just second nature to me from riding and racing off road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 04:18:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Almost had a JOGcident...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.