Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
locktite on the front pulley. (Read 154 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
locktite on the front pulley.
08/11/16 at 09:17:24

Dad's got a sealed bottle of high temp red threadlocker (Permatex). I'm doing the chain conversion, and I'm going to be removing the front sprocket from time to time to change ratios. Would it be a really stupid idea to use that stuff? Should I just go get some blue threadlocker? Something else? That stuff is expensive.

What do you guys usually use on that nut? It had red on it, but who knows if it is the same stuff as conventional red threadlocker. That stuff is supposedly evil. Heck, that blue stuff is as tough as nails. I put indentations in a nut/bolt (upper engine mount) with a 12 point wrench just trying to break loose the blue stuff. For the other bolt, I found a ratchet and 6 point. That made the job noticeably easier.

I'm aware that the shaft will get screwed (which means $$$$) if that nut doesn't stay crazy tight. I don't want to destroy something when I need it loose either. It actually wasn't too tough for me to get it loose the first time. I just used a 3/4 inch drive with 1-1/4" socket and adjusted the rear brake and finished tightening the brake cable by using adjusting the rear wheel backwards. Then I put it in first gear. With the two different systems (brake and engine) working together, it reduced the chance of breaking something.

I wonder... Is threadlocker less effective on larger diameter bolts?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Re: locktite on the front pulley.
Reply #1 - 08/11/16 at 09:24:56

The Loctite website states that the red is for permanent locking and can only be removed with heat...so if you're wanting to change anything in the future I'd suggest using the blue at most.

The blue is "designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools." That's what I would classify a sprocket as. Even if you're not going to be switching out to different sizes frequently, the sprocket is going to eventually wear out and need to be replaced.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/11/16 at 10:29:05

I'd leave e any Locktite off until you decide on a ratio...
Once you've picked one, use blue if you want,.. but most importantly... use a new fold washer...
Don't skimp on the washer...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 08/11/16 at 11:01:21

So, I should order another oem splined washer??? Does it need to be replaced every time remove it or something? That's waaay too many washers getting thrown away... Can't I just get by fine by bending/adjusting it or replacing as needed?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/11/16 at 12:53:12

Yes, sometimes you can, but consider the lesson you've learned (at least I hope you did) with the header bolt.

replacement cost + cost to replace + shoes.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/11/16 at 13:00:50

Remember.  That pulley/sprocket takes hits going both ways (accel and decel).

That washer is what saves the bacon.  You can reuse it a few times, by bending it in different areas.  Maybe 3 times?
It's only $1.32.. buy a few ..

When I got my "backup bike", I never checked the pulley.  The PO did not bend the washer over.. the results weren't catastrophic, but only because I pay attention to odd noises and the guard that fits over the pulley kept it from departing the motorcycle.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #6 - 08/11/16 at 14:15:32

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/11/16 at 11:01:21:
That's waaay too many washers getting thrown away...

If washers are too expensive, it may be time to just walk everywhere.

You're probably one of the people that tried E85 to save a few bucks.  Huh

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 08/11/16 at 14:28:24

Alright, I'll get a spare or two if they're that cheap.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 08/11/16 at 14:29:47

youzguyz wrote on 08/11/16 at 13:00:50:

That washer is what saves the bacon.  You can reuse it a few times, by bending it in different areas.  Maybe 3 times?

When I got my "backup bike", I never checked the pulley.  The PO did not bend the washer over.. the results weren't catastrophic, but only because I pay attention to odd noises and the guard that fits over the pulley kept it from departing the motorcycle.

Does he mean that one should not bend it more than once in the same place? Huh

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #9 - 08/11/16 at 14:46:21

Yes, ideally, but look up 'metal fatigue'.

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 08/11/16 at 15:05:58

Ever took a piece of wire and bend it over and over? Eventually, it would break. I get it.... But only once??? Huh Okay... maybe it weakens a little??? I don't know.... Undecided  I guess it strikes me weird when you can only bend something like that once and then have to throw it away.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/11/16 at 15:48:45

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/11/16 at 14:29:47:
youzguyz wrote on 08/11/16 at 13:00:50:

Does he mean that one should not bend it more than once in the same place? Huh

That's what he means.  It;s been bent once.. to put it on.  You bend it again (back) .. in the same place.. to take it off.  When you put it on again, pick someplace that hasn't been bent yet.  You can do that at least once for sure.   It's what I have done in the past.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 08/11/16 at 15:54:31

Okay.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 08/11/16 at 19:47:10

The whole folding lock tab thing is a real sore point with me. That system should have disappeared decades ago.
Virtually every high miles late model Bonnie that I put on the lift has a loose sprocket nut. Same with vintage Suzi-Qs.
I always blamed the previous person for not doing it right, until I started finding loose nuts on the sprockets I had installed.
Did a lot of research, and talked to some of the industry gods about the issue.
Here's what I found out:
Heavy equipment manufacturer Allis Chalmers saw this problem many decades ago. They finally figured out that it was the deformation of the captive washer that was allowing the nuts or bolts to loosen. Basically, if the washer is soft enough to bend easily, it's soft enough to squish under the repeated rubbing back and forth caused by acceleration and engine braking.
They just ditched that system, as did Honda. Some of the bike companies still use it.
Talked to a guy who built 200HP front row Ducs for AMA Superbike and asked him what he did.
Start by making sure the splines are clean. Then coat the splines with anti-seize so that no rust forms. Install the sprocket, then put a layer of anti-sieze between the sprocket and the lock tab. That allows the sprocket to not drag the washer back and forth with it as it moves on the splines.
Red Loctite on the nut, tighten the crap out of it, then fold over the tab in two places. After the tab is folded over, take a center punch and punch the washer against the nut in a few places. The idea is to make sure the washer travels with the nut.
I've used that system for a while. No problems.
Red Loctite breaks pretty easily with a decent impact gun.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/11/16 at 20:23:10

Armen,

Your post should be in the Technical Section.

I think you are the first person here to really delve into the bent washer situation.....

Thank You!

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:45:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › locktite on the front pulley.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.