Send Topic Print
Three-year plan (Read 338 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Three-year plan
Reply #15 - 06/20/16 at 12:46:22

My first week on a motorcycle I got chased by a bull and then shot at by the farmer!

You can tell those tales...

And good point made. I tried riding with a few people. Didn't really enjoy it. The roads were great, but I found I was happier and felt much safer backing away enough to be able to run into the curves at
Fun for Me Speeds
and not quite catch up to them on the straight.

I would pack up and ride.. but probably not too far. Hit a state park or an RV campground, hundred miles or so. Set up, hang out, ride around and scope stuff out, fix some grub,

You can call around where you're planning on going, see what laws apply. Some parks, I've heard, you can fish without a license. How cool would that be? A small backpack rod and reel,
camp stove,aww yeah...
Clue
Never fail to Carry enough to eat, JIC you don't catch hoot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 06/20/16 at 15:08:19

Your 57 ? You might be dead in 3 years
You have some backbone learning to ride at 57
All you need is bedroll credit cards big ass bag of beef jerky if you still have teeth & a few tools
Point that savage towards the mountains and ride
Send us a post when you get there
Oh and small cooler packed with ice and your favorite flavor of ENSURE !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 06/20/16 at 17:58:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/19/16 at 20:25:21:
Upgrade? Different, bigger, an Upgrade is , as you say, subjective.
The Plan is a very responsible, smart approach. Maybe Too much so.
If you are planning a long trip, id suggest you take a trip to the nearest campground and spend the night. Learn to pack, and what you need before you head out. Shakedown cruise.
What are you calling a
Long trip?
Solo?

A shakedown cruise is a good idea. There's are several campgrounds at Jordan Lake about 40 minutes from my home.

A long trip, for me at this point, would be about 400 miles one way. I'd like to go with a group, but the point was made that group riding takes some practice as well. So I guess that's another thing that will need shaking down.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #18 - 06/20/16 at 18:19:42

Ruttly wrote on 06/20/16 at 15:08:19:
Your 57 ? You might be dead in 3 years
You have some backbone learning to ride at 57
All you need is bedroll credit cards big ass bag of beef jerky if you still have teeth & a few tools
Point that savage towards the mountains and ride
Send us a post when you get there
Oh and small cooler packed with ice and your favorite flavor of ENSURE !

You realize most of the guys around here are between 50 and 70?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 06/20/16 at 18:51:59

Kris01 wrote on 06/20/16 at 18:19:42:
You realize most of the guys around here are between 50 and 70?

Yep....that would be me exactly....I am 60!

Riding with 1 or 2 others is ideal.....once you start adding more riders it becomes somewhat cumbersome to stay together - while not running into each other.  When you get a bunch of folks....it is really hard to stay together and not get separated at traffic lights and intersections...or when pulling back onto the highway from a fuel or rest stop.

I find huge groups like charity rides or poker runs to be nothing more than a parade....you won't learn much about riding in that type of ride.

I learned to ride on a dirtbike....and I somehow believe that may be the best way to learn.  It teaches you a lot about braking, balance and traction....and when you fall down on the wet leaves or slippery mud neither you or the bike are hurt while the lessons are being learned.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #20 - 06/20/16 at 19:11:14

Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate all of them, even the ones about my age and learning prowess. I'll try not to be a wuss and just ride my ride.

I did want to mention the S40. I find it a very forgiving bike, and fun to ride. On several occasions I've grabbed too much front brake and she didn't lock up her front tire. Really a pleasure to own. I only mention getting a slightly larger bike (perhaps an S50?) because I figured a V-Twin might be a bit more comfortable on a long trip. But I see several of you have made very long trips on the Savage/S40 so perhaps a change of bikes is not in order.

In any event, thanks again.

David

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 06/20/16 at 20:45:26

Bigger also means heavier. It's much easier to learn on a lighter, more nimble bike than a heavy beast.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 06/20/16 at 21:40:34

Kris01 I know this isn't the youngest group here. I was only trying to inspire him with a few insults, 57 is not old, I merely wanted him to realize that life is short and you should do things and not on a 3 year plan , in 3 years a lot can change, do it now why wait. Yeah most here know I'm a smartass and at times just an ass,but I regard all of you as friends, respected friends. I enjoy it here and was just having fun! I may grow up someday but after 56 years I doubt it !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #23 - 06/21/16 at 04:21:05

I think three years is being a little conservative for taking long rides. Perhaps consider a fifty mile rural ride on a quiet Sunday morning, the following week fifty miles out and fifty back. Progressively increasing each week. remember not to exceed 120 miles without refuelling, you will be on reserve by then. The MSF should have taught you your basic skills, so remember them and get the mileage up. Try a little interstate while you're at it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 06/21/16 at 04:37:01

Surely HOW you Feel while riding in traffic has changed..  Stay in a spot just a hair Uncomfortable and you won't Freeze up, but you'll eventually adapt and get comfortable with That level of speed/traffic,
Instead of setting a calender date , go with How competent do you Feel.. And you, by choosing to venture into certain things or not, will determine how quickly you grow as a rider.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 06/21/16 at 05:51:03

youngde811
Just want you to enjoy your bike and life now. Guess I flipped out alittle over the 3 year plan thing. I can be alittle rough around the edges at times. Ride that bike every chance you get short or long runs , day or night just ride. Percentage is always high in your first year of having a crash but it drops dramatically every year after that. So send us a post when you get somewhere. Don't forget the ENSURE, I like the chocolate one got hooked after a surgery , full of vitamins & proteins. CHEERS !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 06/21/16 at 06:04:38

Ruttly wrote on 06/21/16 at 05:51:03:
Don't forget the ENSURE, I like the chocolate one got hooked after a surgery , full of vitamins & proteins. CHEERS !

Ensure is not yet my favorite adult beverage! Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 06/21/16 at 09:35:24

Had to quit the red bulls & rock stars, they give you kidney stones , not my everyday drink either but when you got  long ride ahead slam 2 & ride , great stuff!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 06/21/16 at 17:30:14

Ruttly wrote on 06/20/16 at 21:40:34:
Yeah most here know I'm a smartass and at times just an ass,but I regard all of you as friends, respected friends. I enjoy it here and was just having fun! I may grow up someday but after 56 years I doubt it !!!

Whew! Ok!  Grin

I get your point now.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 06/21/16 at 18:56:02

Back to the thread subject.

There really is no time penalty or bonus.  Go out and ride as often as possible, ride and learn at a pace that makes the trip enjoyable for you, and progress at a pace that is rewarding for you.  If it takes you 3 years...who cares as long as you are having fun the whole darn time.

Bigger bike...sometimes they are OK.  I just sold my ST1100 as it was just a bit too big and heavy for me.  It was really comfortable on the interstate and Cherohala Skyway......it was a bit cumbersome in parking lots and when my wife was riding on the back.  I now have an NT700 to replace it and it is much lighter and has plenty of power to do the speed limits.  I just spent 3 days riding a 250 Ninja around the NC/TN/GA area and went 911 miles and had a ball....bigger is not always better.

Ride the Savage and learn, and have fun along the way.  A chance to buy a bigger bike at a great price will almost certainly come along when you least expect it....and it might be worth a try.  I see nothing wrong with buying a used bike at a good price, riding it for a year or two, and then reselling it at a price very similar to what you paid for it.  But don't sell the Savage if you don't need to....you might find that you like it better!  

« Last Edit: 06/22/16 at 03:46:25 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:05:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Three-year plan

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.