YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
FN megash!t
06/02/16 at 21:01:23

So MS changed some settings on me (before I blocked it or maybe cause I did)
and I can no longer access my ftp site which I normally did with windows explorer.

I installed FTP surfer and I'm still locked out.
I can still access at work, but that got old a long time ago.

any help would be appreciated.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: FN megash!t
Reply #1 - 06/02/16 at 21:14:15

I use filezilla and it seems decent for a novice. Not sure about the explorer method. Maybe that's a good nudge to get away from something MS specific, just because...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/02/16 at 21:47:50

filezilla seems to work... thanks
problem might of been the certificate.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 06/04/16 at 10:48:30

Yep.... MS has updated a certificate script... now you cannot use a few more programs.
They hate it when no developers want to get the "MS OK", they have to present their software code in order for MS to let them into the fray.
And a few of the companies don't have their stuff "registered", or simply do not want MS to steal their software.
I have been trying some "off brand" office programs and file programs more and more lately.
It took me 3 days to reload my windows on a little laptop with xp.... i'm not sure I want to let in the "updates" now.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/05/16 at 13:03:15

And so it goes, you must stay inside the walled garden or MS will simply shut you down because your software isn't approved, or your hardware has no current MS driver.

And now, if you lack a properly "bribe paid" MS certificate for your old vintage software.

Grin     Grin     Grin     Grin

« Last Edit: 06/05/16 at 20:37:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/08/16 at 05:03:59

http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/bill-gates-of-hell-windows-10-hijacks-computers/#5...

The word isn't heck...so, check for the censor changing the url.

The Upgrade will be
Win 10 10
an even sorrier dog of a program.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #6 - 06/10/16 at 23:57:31

My Win 10 loves to achieve the runaway 100%CPU bog-down. Spend days trying to find the memory gobbler(s), finally delete Windows app after app and it finally goes away. Then it comes back when MS updates your system to the latest features and capabilities, which means it adds more crap you don't want to the task manager and restores its apps and marks them back as your "default."

I tell you what it's going to come to with MS: pitchforks and torches.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 06/11/16 at 01:29:34

I just checked on the Win-10 desktop and WS-FTP95 still works.  (Hey!  It is legal drinking age!)

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 06/11/16 at 08:38:18

Sonny
I have the same issue on my laptop...  it uses 100% of the disc for some reason.
Someone told me it was the windows prefetch thing, so I went into my registry and shut it off, seemed to help.
One week later it was back to 100% disc usage, couldn't even type one letter every six seconds when replying to posts.... it was like I was back in the 386 days.
Looked in the registry...yup, you guessed it, back to original settings.
No matter what I do, or what program I tell to "stop" in my task manager, they ignore it and keep on plugging away.
One of the big ones is Cortana.... can't get rid of it, it is always running.
There are a few others, but they show they are "system programs", so it would be Russian roulette to figure which ones I really need.
So I have just been putting up with it, when the disc goes to 100%, I just play music and read... usually goes away in about 2 or 3 minutes and goes back to normal.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #9 - 06/11/16 at 08:48:36

Yes, you can stop Cortana in the task manager and it immediately reloads.

You want to get rid of the cloud storage app too. Hogs internet bandwidth and sends your life to servers where who knows who can review it. Does it in the background so as not to bother you... ahem...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 06/12/16 at 06:24:15

I find that MS is willing to IGNORE what you as the equipment owner want to have happen, and MS wants to take control of your PC to install/upgrade/remove YOUR SOFTWARE and drivers in order to line their own pockets (either current or future pocket lining efforts, same difference to me).

This means to me that MS is no longer a suitable OS vendor and some serious effort needs to be spent identifying alternative OS pathways.

What are you guys doing or trying out now?    

Chrome OS is finished baking now, with Android to be finishing baking inside of 6-8 months.   Both Ubuntu and Mint are fully cooked as well.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #11 - 06/12/16 at 07:24:36

I don't know how to do anything... it's all I can do to try to keep Win10 working at this point.

I don't want anything Google, which seems to be based on an even more overt collecting and use of user data than MS. No google search (I like DuckDuckGo), no Chrome browser. Don't want a Google OS.

I assume my laptop (ASUS) is not going to accommodate any escape from Windows. It's loaded with many proprietary ASUS apps, all down in the woodwork of Win10, which will probably die or go haywire on another OS. I mean stuff down at the graphics rendering level and such.

I've never tried to swap OS's for fear I'd manage to lose everything and turn my machine into a door stop.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #12 - 06/12/16 at 07:31:48

That said, my perennial favorite browser, Firefox, seems to be turning into a bloated pig whose plugins for Flash and HTML5 video are implicated in the 100% CPU overrun issue.

Which is a hair-pulling pain in the ass for sure.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 06/12/16 at 08:37:51

Sonny, everybody on here was originally afraid to try to move away from MS -- XP was all they had ever known, most all of them.  

Still, move they did, some of them, anyway.

Linux Mint Mate was a good home for an XP only person, they could recognize things by where they were located in the menu system as Mint Mate was pretty much an XP clone.

Got to be slightly more complicated for those who were used to anything much past Win 7, but these folks tended to be younger more flexible sorts of guys anyway.

Here is a hard fact -- MS counts on your fear and they hit you with cartloads of FUD all the time to keep you intimidated and afraid.

MS biggest fear is multi OS users, those who KNOW that the sun does not shine out of MS's bum and that indeed that there are many better systems available out there -- for free no less.

Give you a "kinda like" example --- Firefox was our favorite browser for years because it kicked MS Explorer's butt six ways from Sunday.   Still does, which is why lots of us still use it.

But, if you do get used to an Android phone, something strange happens ....... you get used to Google.  And you realize a lot of MS's paid propaganda points about Evil Google are mostly pure BS.  Google is no more evil than Firefox or Safari or Duck Duck Go or any of the rest of the browsers.

Got a hard fact for somebody to deny if they can -- MS Win 10 is the only OS system that sticks REQUIRED ADS (like 2-4 per page) inside your opening page and sticks ads inside your other various pages as space is available to do so.

MS is the only one that HOLDS YOU UP while the ads finish loading so you HAVE to view them, actually slowing you down ongoing in your work accordingly.

In Linux, running Chrome or Firefox as your browser you can light a systems monitor to show you memory and processor loads as you go about doing what you normally do.   Right now I am running about 24% usage on my systems memory and only 12%-15%  of one of my two processor cores (they swap out every few minutes so as to not get too warm).   Everything is running light and fast right now.

Linux is light and FAST --- MS is anything but light and fast.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/15/16 at 01:11:21

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:31:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › FN megash!t

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.