Send Topic Print
Custom frames (Read 78 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Custom frames
02/05/16 at 08:07:01

How many of you have ever stuck the 652cc thumper in a completely custom frame and made a new bike out of it? I am strongly considering this just because the frame of a savage doesnt work well with my height... and id rather use a complete new custom frame than have the stock one chopped up and extended and etc. Also if you have done it or your an experienced fabricator and such, what would you do about the engine mounds and aligning the sprocket (obviously chain conversion) to the rear wheel

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Custom frames
Reply #1 - 02/05/16 at 08:13:25

Go to the Bike Builds section - most of the custom bike are there that were built by Forum members.  You can find some custom built bikes on other Savage engine bike builds - but most are not members on this forum.

SmokinBlue put his engine in a Benelli frame....and built a Cafe.

Others have built bike with the VooDoo hardtail frame.

I am not aware of anyone moving the engine into a more conventional frame on this Forum - it is easy just to buy the other bike and avoid all the work.  The Savage engine is just not all that stellar - so most folks just buy the "other" bike with the frame and engine that it came with.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/05/16 at 20:54:09

Kinda rare, like size 18cheerleader outfits.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 02/05/16 at 21:15:03

I like to pretend my bike is a modern BSA Goldstar, or Matchless G50, but somehow it just doesn't cut it. The entire engine/trans is about 3/4 the size of the goldie with separate trans and would look awkward in a frame any larger. Go ahead, give it a shot! Cool

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 02/06/16 at 05:20:54

Having done it I would ask you what exactly are you going for in your transplant?  I did size up many Suzuki frames as that is my back ground.  I ended up with a 1968 (Montgomery) Wards Riverside Mojave frame that was actually made by Benelli in Italy and was a knock off of a Rickman Racing frame.  

There are a couple of companies that offer frames for the LS650 engine but they are rare.

I am about to transplant a 1970 T500 2 stroke into a 1970 Colin Lyster racing frame.

It all can be done.  The question from me is why?  What is it you want to accomplish.  The stock frame does have some limitations but are they real world limitations?  not so much.  I have been amazed at what people have been able to easily accomplish with the stock frame.  That said I would have to say it is a pretty good base to use for a project.

Tell us more what you are going for.  Look? Size? or Geometry?etc.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 16:47:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom frames

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.