Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
87 ls650 "famous oil leak" fix. (Read 148 times)
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

87 ls650 "famous oil leak" fix.
02/03/16 at 06:02:26

Hey everyone, I'm preparing to fix the so called "famous oil leak" on my 87 savage.  As of right now all I have is the cap/plug.  I've read that there might be some o-ring/gasket replacements which brings me to the reason of the post.  I have a few reference sites as well as the clymers manual.  I'm looking for all and any information regarding the procedure.  Links/pictures/ any and all information regarding the plug/cap replacement.  the cylinder head needs to be removed (to my understanding) so any info regarding just the head removal would be useful.

The cap/plug I'm talking about is highlighted (#12) thanks everyone

image_004.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 87 ls650 "famous oil leak" fix.
Reply #1 - 02/03/16 at 06:13:29

Being an 87...most likely you should replace the rubber parts in the process.  Part #5 is an O-ring that seals around the oil galley, part #27 are washers with rubber seals for the bolts that could weep oil.  You might also want to replace the rubber O-ring on the rockers shaft, as they can weep oil once they become old and brittle.

Also....you should consider buying the proper Suzuki Bond for the job.  It sets up much slower than the conventional RTV products and gives you more time to do the job correctly.  I squeeze the Suzukibond into a small syringe, and the small tip gives a lot more control than trying to squeeze a big tube of "goo" precisely.  Don't apply a lot of sealer - no more than a ribbon the size of a pencil lead....so that when it squeezes out there is just a tiny bead sticking out of the joint (and I clean off the excess so that it looks like a factory job and no one knows you have been in there).  If you get too much on the excess can block the oil passages.

You don't want this look:

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 87 ls650 "famous oil leak" fix.
Reply #2 - 02/06/16 at 08:51:49

Get a piece of cardboard.
Draw the outline of the head cover and put a circle where each bolt goes. Know how many are up there. Slice cardboard and stuff each bolt in the corresponding spot. They are different lengths, some may have special washers, one Must be in as the cover goes back on, because it's Not going in once it's installed.
One goes in upside down,
Organized Disassembly makes Reassembly less of a puzzle.
Don't tighten anything until you have everything started.
Then just barely snug them in the pattern shown in the manual,
It's better to make several passes and FEEL the bolts clamping and you'll feel when they bottom out. Just grabbing a torque wrench and believing that is
Doing it right
Could easily have you cursing poor threads or crap bolts. I had mine off at least twice, no problems.
Understand that the cam rides between the head and head cover. More gasket goo than necessary decreases oil pressure,
Get the right kind of sealer, no RTV. The stuff I used is still useable, after all these years. Even Unopened RTV will go bad in the toolbox.

The pit in the topp of the head holds oil for cam lobes to splash in. Don't start it or leave it running on the stand. That puts the starboard end of the cam uphill from incoming oil, out of the oil bath.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 13:41:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 87 ls650 "famous oil leak" fix.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.