ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fuse Issue
Reply #15 - 07/30/15 at 10:18:22

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/30/15 at 10:09:47:
The starter relay has power to it without the key switch turned on??

Ok, chalk that up to "hmm...didnt know that". Is that the unit that sits between the rear fender and the air intake (under the seat)?

Yup, directly connected to the battery with a huge a$$ cable.  Just waiting for someone to push the starter button.

WWW   IP Logged
psutton
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/30/15 at 12:24:40

Update: Main fuse blows regardless of the order connecting to the terminals. I've checked the wires that go to the ignition switch, the battery, and all ground wires associated (except for whats under the tank.) I've even looked into the Decomp fuse. Nothing is loose or exposed to the frame. Considering taking to a small brick and mortar if no one has any other hypothesis.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/30/15 at 12:44:46

The only way to track this stuff down, is to start disconnecting stuff.

I would put the light bulb in place of the fuse as others have suggested, and because there is a direct short the bulb will light up.

Then you start disconnecting things and see of any of them make the light to out.  It is the only way you are going to be able to locate what circuit (and where) the short is located.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 07/30/15 at 12:58:17

You never did say, why you were replacing the battery in the first place. Or If you had done any maintenance before changing out the battery.

Also, is the replacement an OEM or just one you purchased that fit?

Make double sure you have the proper posts on the proper side..... the battery should be marked, but I have seen crazy crap from "knock off" Chinese stuff, it could be marked wrong.

The only thing I could see if you have done everything correctly, is the driver side harness might have developed a chaffing spot on the "outside" of the box and is shorting out against the triangle cover or the box itself.

You will have to check both the cables and make triple sure there are no chaff or bare spots.

Have you tried installing the fuse "after" you have hooked up the battery? Make sure to use rubber handled pliers to be safe.

That's all I have for now...
Wish I was close... to help you out.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/30/15 at 13:35:57

The usual suspect for a short is the wiring harness.
I know that should really narrow it down for you.
Look at any location that passes over a corner/edge or between 2 parts.
1 place in particular is the headlight shell where the wires go thru the opening.
These are usually a short between 2 wires in the bundle.
If you really want to find it fast, then replace the fuse with a solid wire then look for melting wire, smoke or fire.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 07/31/15 at 03:22:37

The fact that the fuse blows with the ignition switch turned OFF, means that the short will be in the wires that go from the battery to the ignition switch......or to the starter solenoid....or whatever else is not engergized when the switch is turned off.  (Provided the switch is not bad).

The first thing I would do is put in the test light in place of the fuse, and then unplug the ignition switch and see what happens.  There are two fuses....one goes to the ignition switch and the other one to the decompression controller.  Do you know which one is blowing?  If the ignition switch doesn't function after the switch blows.....that indicates it is in that circuit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 07/31/15 at 22:21:19

You were replacing your battery and now you're blowing fuses.  This reminds me of what I just went through.  I'd like to suggest testing your regulator rectifier.  There are instructions around here for that or you can look it up on YouTube.  I think your regulator rectifier killed your battery (parasitic draw) and now that you have a new battery it's blowing your fuse.  I replaced my regulator rectifier ($20 on ebay) and all was made well.  Remove your regulator rectifier and test with a multimeter...I'll wager it's your culprit.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:23:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuse Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.