Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What aftermarket ignitions work on a 2001 savage (Read 55 times)
miker2195
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What aftermarket ignitions work on a 2001 savage
07/30/15 at 16:19:10

My wiring harness shorted out after my license plate bracket got ripped out and the grounded over head light wire touched frame. It shorted all the way to my ignition and when I got a new wiring harness my bike turned on but would not turn off. I don't think the problem is the kill switch or kickstand. But what ignition can I get that would work with the 2001 savage wiring harness

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: What aftermarket ignitions work on a 2001 sava
Reply #1 - 07/30/15 at 18:13:41

I am not aware of any aftermarket ignition that works with our bike.

Please wait for the more knowledgeable members here to chime in but I think I'm right on that.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/31/15 at 03:40:37

The stock wiring harness has a fuse in it.....I would have expected the fuse to blow when the short occurred.  Do (did) you have the stock tail light and wiring harness in place when the short occurred.

Not sure why your bike would have stayed on when you got a new wiring harness....either you got it hooked up wrong or your switch went bad in the burned wiring event.  The key switch sends the battery power to the ignition system.....that power should go away when the key is turned off.

There is no aftermarket or optional ignition that works with our bike and is a plug in......some folks have adapted other switches including those that are just ON/OFF switches without keys.  There are only 3 wires to be hooked up to the ignition switch....so it is not difficult to adapt something.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #3 - 08/01/15 at 03:18:35

Ignition switch or ignition module? They're two different items.

The first takes the key and turns the bike on and off. The second is what makes the spark at the correct time to make the engine run.

Was the new wiring harness a factory harness, and what did you try to get it to shut off? What finally got it shut off? Need details...

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:22:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What aftermarket ignitions work on a 2001 savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.