frame question... (Read 143 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
frame question...
05/30/15 at 15:56:53

Im getting ready to cut my rear fender supports off my frame.  I am going to use a 1/4 inch plate for the torsion springs to rest on(welded on top of the cut) the springs are going to be 2 inches tall.  Where would be the best plce to cut the supports? I also forgot to mention that I hav e a medical condition that limits the range of motion in my hips.... meaning I cant throw my leg over the seat too much more than the stock height.... But as long as I can flat foot the bike off the stand im good Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: frame question...
Reply #1 - 05/30/15 at 16:17:40

Not sure I follow...
I guess,... you're ditching the rear fender, and installing a sprung seat???

I'd cut it wherever it needs to be cut... depends very much on the seat and type of springs... dunnit'...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #2 - 05/30/15 at 16:34:52

I am mounting a sprung seat and using a flat trailer style fender, and bobbing the fender... Kinda along the same lines as the black and yellow BCB bobber.http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.P5cBx1s3JubQHe0m52Ap9Q&pid=15.1

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #3 - 05/30/15 at 20:12:35

are you lowering the bike with rigid struts? if not and keeping suspension plus bobber solo seat you may have a higher ride height than stock.

I know i dropped my ride height by 1 1/2 in with biltwell solo slimline seat mounted directly to the frame, and keeping the suspension.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #4 - 05/30/15 at 20:31:15

I am going to use struts off from the swingarm to support the fender, and mount the fender to the swingarm...  I am going to keep the stock rear suspension.  I figure if I cut the frame tubes just above the welds for the shock mounts, and use 2 inch barrel springs itll keep it close to stock seat height... but I may be wrong?

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/30/15 at 22:01:14

How I did mine:  Thread:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214704691
Original mount, and final:

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/30/15 at 22:40:59

JMHO... going to struts, and then raising the seat with springs,... just makes for a worse ride with very similar seat height....
Zero sum game...

I imagine this hip movement restriction involves some pain... and struts will make the ride worse...
The lower fender will help you getting your leg over...
Ditch any sissy bar, step passenger seat,.. and use a tank bag instead of saddlebags...
Narrow or remove rear signals...
... but,.. I don't see swapping to struts with seat springs as a gain...
..and,... and hardtail, with sprung seat feels weird... (it disconnects you from sensory input in corners in a strange way.  I can't describe it, but it ain't pleasant)...and it makes the bike lose contact with the road more often...
As a style thing... it's an option...
As a practical aid in confort or handling, it's a negative...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/31/15 at 08:38:09

I think he said he's keeping the stock rear suspension, he just wants the sprung seat with no increase in seat height

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #8 - 05/31/15 at 13:40:09

Art Webb wrote on 05/31/15 at 08:38:09:
I think he said he's keeping the stock rear suspension, he just wants the sprung seat with no increase in seat height

This is exactly what I am doing  Smiley

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/01/15 at 11:12:43

I wonder if that wider saddle would please my butt, too, sprung or solid mounted, wider and contoured might be better

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #10 - 06/01/15 at 22:30:42

@serowbot

I never really noticed how the hardtail visually handled turns until I was riding behind someone on a superslab going thru an interchange at 75mph. Watching the rear end hop and wiggle thru the turn made me rethink my speed.

Having rode hard tailed bikes for years I'm fully aware of the feel when turning at high speeds and the lack of control no rear suspension provides. But the flip side to that having spent over a decade dragging a knee on sport bikes I still have less of a chicken strip on my hardtailed rear tire than most sport bike guys I ride with now. I have no issue dragging a peg on an off ramp or twisting thru the canyons. I guess it's just comfort at those angles and knowing the bikes limit.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/03/15 at 12:53:37

You can feel when a suspension bike is letting go, the rear end gets mushy. A rigid frame bike will wash out with little to no warning. However, once you are used to the feel of a rigid, you will never go back to a suspension frame...

Shocks and sprung seat used to be very common. American and English machines used them for years w/o issue. Just takes getting used to. The most famous bikes ever made (Harley Duo-Glides, still going by the way as FL/FX non-Softail) had hydraulic forks, rear shocks, and spring loaded seats. Felt like you were sitting in a bowl of cooked oatmeal, but... People loved them. You can still buy pogo seat conversions for FL Harley Davidson touring bikes, should tell you something.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 04:18:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › frame question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.