Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need some carburetor input... (Read 209 times)
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Need some carburetor input...
01/28/15 at 18:02:56

Well, I got her running today...sort of. Put the verslavy mod on today, checked the valves again, put on my new dyna muffler. Lastly I took the jetset I got from Lancer, put in a 152.5 main and a 52.5 pilot jet. She started up, but mostly ran like *ass*. The only way it would stay running was to keep the enrichener knob pulled all the way out. If I tried to push the knob in, either one click or two and it would die instantly. When I had it running, adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw had no effect.
I am not real knowledgeable with carbs, so am I correct in assuming that since it runs with the knob all the way out, but dies otherwise, that I should bump up the pilot jet size? Tongue

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Need some carburetor input...
Reply #1 - 01/28/15 at 18:14:20

Can you get the bike to warm up? Turning the pilot screw on a cold engine is not going to give you good feedback - warm it up first.

52.5 is the stock jet for '97 on up - I don't think you have a jet issue(yet) - turn it out 2 1/2 times and then try to warm it up.

Also, get a candle and inspect your exhaust for leaks.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 01/28/15 at 18:22:05

Make sure that the float isn't hung up. It should move freely for the full range.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/28/15 at 19:59:46

Skiprrdog wrote on 01/13/15 at 17:44:21:
I have never actually ridden the bike. Picked it up fairly cheap about a month ago as a project that (I hope) is getting pretty close to a finish. Odometer shows 51K miles. So far I have:
--Changed oil, with new oil and air filter
--Cleaned and rebuilt carb
--Adjusted the valves
--Replaced shocks
--Got a nearly new HD Dyna muffler for it
And of course a lot of cosmetic work, painted all the tin, new mirrors, footpegs.

The compression is a little lower than ideal, but not at the service limit yet, so a top end will likely be the next thing... maybe a good time to go with a big bore upgrade Smiley

As far as how much I would ride it, just to town, local, that sort of thing. Short hops, maybe 25 to 50 miles.

Skiprrdog wrote on 01/05/15 at 19:01:03:
Chinese.. well that figures. Luckily, the one on my bike is not bad yet. If the 'Yamaha Raptor' part comes and is Chinese, Ill just throw it in the pile with the rest of the Chinese junk. Maybes one of these days Ill have enough to build an entire motorcycle with, some sort of 'Chinese Frankenbike' Grin

people need to know the history if they are to help.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/28/15 at 20:04:20

You didn't say if it was a stock air filter or not, and about the muff... is it loud or normal?

If you're putting on a pod filter it may need richer jetting.
Same with a loud dyna, if it's had the baffle punched out it won't have any back pressure.

stock air filter with a stock dyna won't need too much more than stock jetting.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/28/15 at 20:32:14

I've seen old gas act like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/28/15 at 21:32:47

I'm running a #50/150 pilot/main, 2/3 spacer... with a stock airbox and K/N slip-in, and a Harley Shorty with baffles intact...
So,.. I don't think you're lean...

Is your idle speed high enough?...
...(if it runs on choke,... there must be an idle speed setting that keeps it running, even if it requires a ridiculous rpm to maintain)...
Idle speed adjustment is the knurled screw on the left, near the choke pull.... CW is higher,...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 01/29/15 at 05:11:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/28/15 at 20:32:14:

+1. However the new jets should be able to pass pancake syrup.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/29/15 at 07:30:42

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/29/15 at 05:11:18:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/28/15 at 20:32:14:

+1. However the new jets should be able to pass pancake syrup.

It may be able to pass it, but don't expect it to run.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/29/15 at 07:57:50

"Pancake syrup"...  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin....

Good one, Gary...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/29/15 at 08:17:47

Gas is cheap,, if you have any doubts about it being fresh, dump it, drain the carb bowl, start over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #11 - 01/29/15 at 10:06:22

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Pancake syrup aside (you guys are making me hungry...what were we talking about? Roll Eyes)
The bike is bone stock, except for the dyna muffler I just put on, which still has the baffles, and it has a new, stock air filter. Gas is less than a week old. When I got the bike, it had 145 main jet and 52.5 pilot. I cleaned the carb no less than four times; Pinesol soak, Gunk soak, carb cleaner and compressed air, then several cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner. Put new float needle and seat in it. Valves adjusted, new oil and filter. I looked at the plug from the short run yesterday and the end was kind of a light grey. This morning I took the carb off again, the float is free. I left the new 150 main jet in it and swapped out the pilot for a size 55. And I took out the big white washer on the jet needle and put on the three small metal ones that Lancer sent. This morning I was able to start it and let it idle, but only with the idle adjustment screw cranked all the way in. And still, trying multiple settings on the air fuel mixture from all the way in to 3 1/2 turns out did not seem to have an appreciable effect. Like I said, I was able to let it idle for close to ten minutes, throttle cracks would rev the engine fine, no hesitations or bogging, but some popping when it came back down.

One thing I should mention, not sure if it is a problem, but on my original carb dip, when I went to the store, I bought some no-name instead of the Pinesol brand; compared the ingredients and they seemed to be the same. When I took it out of the dip, it had turned the carb body a very dark, and sort of chalky grey, hence all the subsequent cleanings. I don't *think* it is a problem, but it definitely changed the way the outside of the carb looks.

I did a quick video of it running this morning...Ill see if I can get it on 'you boob' later...

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/29/15 at 10:28:16

If the bike is working at higher throttle settings....It seems like you have an issue with your idle circuit...for some reason it is not getting the proper amount of fuel at idle.  If you remove the pilot jet and blow carb cleaner in the hole....the carb cleaner should come out of the hole on the other side of the butterfly, and also out the hole where the idle fuel mixture screw is.

Lots of cleaners can react with the aluminum....and if you read the labels some do warn they are not for use on aluminum.  I never soak the carb in any cleaners.....10 minutes in the ultasonic cleaner and the carb comes out and gets blown out with compressed air and dried.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 01/29/15 at 17:55:19

Idle adjustment screw all the way in tells me that you are cutting the fuel flow as much as possible at idle.  I am assuming that our idle adjustment is a fuel metering screw instead of air metering.

If this is true, I'd say the pilot is too big.  If I'm backwards and the screw is air metering, then the jet is too small or blocked somehow.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #14 - 01/29/15 at 20:17:14

Yeah, I am not sure. Tomorrow I am going to take Daves suggestion and take the carb off and blow some carb cleaner thru the pilot passages. I may even try putting back in both of the original jets and see what that looks like.

I put a short video on you tube of it running (and popping) this morning if anyone wants to see what I am talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCCPYSefeuI&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:06:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need some carburetor input...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.