Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remember, I predicted stuff would get smaller??? (Read 82 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Remember, I predicted stuff would get smaller???
05/30/14 at 09:48:15

Cheesy    

My prediction was that the onslaught of wearables would result in a whole new crop of even smaller "Linux PCs on a single board".  

Remember I said within 6 months they would be real?  

Here you go ..... complete with an expansion board system no less.

http://liliputing.com/2014/05/crowdfunding-2-incredibly-tiny-pc-modules-start...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/asiarf-tiny-linux-computer-with-wifi-and-e...

Yup, built in wifi as well.    This means it can print to your wifi networked HP printer.

The largest component is the single ethernet jack.

Folks, computing is getting ready to get REALLY REALLY cheap, and what is amazing is that the processing power keeps going up as the energy cost goes down.    

We got LOTS of tablets and cell phones now that are more powerful than an original CRAY supercomputer .... with the CRAY II level is coming up this year.

Here comes the PC as jewelry -- ear ring bobs and necklaces to begin with.  

When it comes it will come out using wifi and bluetooth of course ....

Awwww .... you need a USB 2.0 connection for hooking up your hard drive and your USB hub with all your other stuff on it --- sure, we can do 'er for you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Remember, I predicted stuff would get smaller?
Reply #1 - 05/30/14 at 10:00:34

pretty soon everyone will be wearing these.
and the only way you'll be able to tell who has the latest tech will be the ones w/out the cord dangling outta their a$$.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/30/14 at 10:58:59

Oooopsie ......   Here comes the second contestant for smallest PC and it looks to be both smaller and a lot less expensive ---  

$40 ???? now that's amazing ....

This one is called Vocore and it has already been funded and built, so you can go buy one today if you wish.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vocore-a-coin-sized-linux-computer-with-wifi

OK, prediction time again --- when the 14nm wearable chipsets (and most of them will be wearable small and wearable cool running) finally come out they will easily fit on top of a LAN jack with room for a micro USB connector or two laying flat to the back side of the LAN jack.  

Won't need the sandwiched top/bottom circuit boards, or the LAN jack or the USB jack -- the 14nm stuff may all run 100% off the then current wifi/bluetooth wearable standards with just a teeny tiny power jack needed to power the device (since all of its I/O will be wireless).

Jewelry, remember ???   The battery may be biggest part of the thing, but it will still small enough for a pendant or ear ring.

« Last Edit: 05/30/14 at 14:34:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/30/14 at 18:22:27

We got LOTS of tablets and cell phones now that are more powerful than an original CRAY supercomputer.

Thats a real "Wow" moment,, to sit & consider THAT.. dang,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/31/14 at 19:42:43

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE4NjU

"When benchmarking the Apple iPad 2, the University of Tennessee employee achieved 4 GFLOPS per Watt on the ARM SoC (measured at the chip level). As the below chart shows, he found the iPad 2 to be as fast as the Cray 2 super-computer from the 1980s. The Cray-2 was originally the fastest super-computer in the world when it originally premiered. Piotr Luszczek also found that the original iPad was about the speed of the original Cray-1 super-computer. The latest iPad meanwhile is just a small performance bump over the iPad 2."

Tablets have been busting on the Cray 2 for a while now (since iPad 2 days) but the modern top end phones sold this year are going to bust on it as well.

We are talking standard ARM phone chips, as sold by Samsung and Qualcomm, produced at 28nm (the old stuff, in other words) will do more processing than a Cray 2 could do.

The newest stuff coming out next year will have up to 8 processor cores and up to 48 graphics cores, with the new graphics cores being able to also do calculation duty if not needed to move the pixels around.

These may threaten Cray 3 territory.   Held in your silly hand no less.  Run at 5 volts off a battery.

Change, Justin -- she comes.   Our lives have been full of it -- big rapid change.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 16:33:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Remember, I predicted stuff would get smaller???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.