Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chrome vs Firefox -- a browser head to head war (Read 264 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Chrome vs Firefox -- a browser head to head war
05/21/14 at 08:11:24

Ok, I am running Linux Mint Mate 17 and it seems to be quicker and better than previous Mint versions.

However, the "I'm still moving in" thing is still going on and I am beginning to see a BIG difference between the performance of Firefox and Chrome since I commonly use both of them as occasion demands.

Chrome is outperforming Firefox on just about every comparison I have made.   Spell checking works on Chrome without fiddling, Adblock puts NO DELAY into Chrome, but puts nearly a second on Firefox when opening an ad related screen.   On Firefox the ad sits there long enough to be visible, but on Chrome it never shows at all.

Typing in the YaBB posting box is something that gets problematical in Firefox sometimes, but in Chrome it just works.

=====================================

If you are still using MS Internet Explorer,   I pity you.    Microsoft is trying to sell ads now and some of the add boxes you see jumping up on you just lately are MS integral to your Explorer, so good luck getting rid of them, ever.

I use Explorer at work and it has whole SECONDS of delay compared to either Firefox or Chrome (with Chrome being the quickest and least issues of the entire crew right now).

=====================================

I've got my troublesome new state of the art Steam games all working now on Mint Mate 17  
(the new AMD/ATI proprietary driver package with Mint 17 did the trick).  

ALL MY GAMES ARE WORKING TOO !!!!!

Cheesy     life is good !!!

I am gone from Windows now forever, unless my wife needs me to fix one of her laptops that is.

« Last Edit: 05/22/14 at 07:53:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Chrome vs Firefox -- a browser head to head wa
Reply #1 - 05/21/14 at 23:01:40

OK, not-so-newbie question:

To copy my IE Favorites to a new PC, I just look for the "Favorites" folder in the IE mother folder and copy it to the new PC.

How do I copy Firefox and Chrome favorites to a new PC ?  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/22/14 at 00:26:30

You can choose "sync" in options... and save yer' setting online, to share with other 'puters in your stable...(you'll have to create an account,... it will copy bookmarks and settings)...
... or,... go into bookmarks, and choose "manage bookmarks"or "show all bookmarks", then import/export bookmarks ... save as an HTML file... then import into your new browser through the bookmark manager there...

The bummer is,... I haven't found a way to import passwords...
I just have to re-password every site... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/22/14 at 07:49:31

I keep a set of little post it notes where I write down the name and password for every site that I use.   It is a pain, but passwords do have to be transferred manually since they are protected every which a way in all systems out there, there simply ain't no "going to get them for you".

One (1) and only one thing Firefox does better than Chrome -- automatic font resizing.   I use a dinosaur flat screen 19" monitor and this means my reading size of my fonts is too small if I allow modern programs to run at their natural pixel settings.  

Firefox auto adjusts better than Chrome, but in Chrome it is a 4 click dive into systems advanced settings to tune the fonts to be bigger.

Issue then becomes the YaBB text box we all type into when we post.  I type looking at fonts so small I can barely read them unless I re-size the page using Control+/- which is a bit of a pain since you got to put it back when you get done.

I am reluctant to adjust my monitor resolution back to VGA levels (my old trick to make everything bigger all the time) because it will foul up my games which are working correctly right now.

HAS ANYONE FOUND OUT HOW TO INCREASE FONT SIZE INSIDE THE YaBB TEXT BOX?

« Last Edit: 05/22/14 at 10:18:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 05/22/14 at 09:24:11

You can export bookmarks to an html file, stick it on a flash drive, and import them into any browser on any PC.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 05/22/14 at 09:26:01

Passwords can be exported from FF using a plugin (for other browsers I would assume as well) and imported into the same browser on a new PC. There may be some cross compatibility, I don't know.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 05/22/14 at 13:34:11

Attempting a font style/size change

Does not show till you post it....

I am using the default setting and running firefox on mint17

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 05/23/14 at 20:00:21

Typing inside the YaBB text box is unaffected by what you did.   That is just blowing up the displayed page's font size.

In Chrome the YaBB text box letters are very very small.   Using Chrome Settings to pick a bigger font size blows up spacing on normal web pages if you make the font larger (usably large) in the YaBB box.  

It is a puzzlement.

Maybe it will shake out as Mint 17 matures over the next month or so.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/27/14 at 09:28:15

Ok, I mentioned that Firefox has ongoing problems with the YaBB text box that we all type into when we post.   I hoped it would go away with the Mint 17 upgrade, but no, it has remained pretty much the same.

Chrome has issues with sizing the same YaBB pages, the size and aspect shift when using the old primitive YaBB posting and reading pages.

Both browsers have issues with YaBB, so you got to suspect that YaBB is the culprit, not the browsers.

Chrome is much quicker to put a page up and the adblock function works flawlessly.  

So far, Chrome wins the head to head.

Looking to see Chrome + make it into service so I can talk to my PC and have it respond

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #9 - 05/27/14 at 09:59:12

Chrome definitely wins in the "gather as much personal information about the user and make money from it" department. That is the main reason I will never use it. Ever. I despise Google. They collect enough information about me. I will stop it where I can.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 05/27/14 at 13:42:08

Google creeps some people out because Google keeps a voice recognition file on you and they can predict where you are searching and they can predict your next word when you are texting.

folks like me and my daughter who embrace what Google can do get a lot of utility out of this advanced "me knowledge".

MS is trying to be like Google, and if Microsoft knows much as Google knows about me I wouldn't like it at all.

But perhaps you like or trust MS better than Google ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 05/27/14 at 14:48:54

Yes, I trust MS more than Google. Especially when it comes to mobile apps. MS does not permit the vendors to see your email address and other stuff. Every Android app Dev gets all your info.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/29/14 at 20:36:58

off topic slightly but I have a question for the tech savvy, how secure are the android apps on cell phones? I my cell uses 2.3.6
secure enough for banking / cc orders? or no?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/30/14 at 00:56:10

I would not do banking on an android 2.x phone.  

Too old, too primitive.   That android wasn't built with banking in mind at all.

Then again, I would not do banking on an android 4.4.2 phone either.   I don't do banking on Windows XP either -- I stick with hard wired Linux for secure applications like on line banking.

My bank does not offer a secure android app for banking yet -- the bank's app is what makes you secure or not.  

Apps exist for most banks for ipods and iphones since Apple is relatively secure as an OS -- but Apple is now getting hit with security issues about every other month lately.

Making a good banking app for mobile with good security is not all that easy to do.  

Remember, your data has to be very well encrypted since it gets beamed out over the air and can be intercepted and read by all sorts of radio wave equipment.

The bank is responsible for a leaky app, so they are getting reluctant to put an app out there which can give them a big potential loss to cover.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/30/14 at 01:01:52

ok thanks OF

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3