Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to Savages...metrics in general (Read 115 times)
Midee1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New to Savages...metrics in general
05/22/14 at 01:30:30

After only owning and riding Harleys for the past 26 years I recently acquired an 88 650 Savage. Already named her Little Misfit because she don't fit in at my house at all. She is going to be a starter bike for my wife and my boys to learn to ride on.

A little back story. Neighbor up the street owned the bike that belonged to her late daughter. It set on their back porch for about 6 years. They know I tinker with lots of things so they asked me if I wanted it. After we settled on a price (FREE) I finally went up and rolled it down the hill to my house. Surprisingly other than the paint the rest of the bike was in decent shape. I actually aired the front tire and hopped on and costed down the hill to my driveway. Brakes even worked.

Haven't started it or even tried yet. Have to pick up a battery and I am going to go through all of the fluids and give it the once over first.

What seems to be the allure of these little machines and is there anything I should make sure of before I try to fire her?

IP Logged
Midee1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New to Savages...metrics in general
Reply #1 - 05/22/14 at 01:31:16

Here's a pick as she looked when I rolled her home

Little_Misfit.JPG
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 05/22/14 at 02:05:00

That looks a lot nicer than mine, and it only sat for a year or two.  The allure, for me, was that a guy was selling one for almost the exact amount of cash I had in my pocket.  I thought it would be a cheap ride to work and I bought it.  I fell in love with it because it's so easy to work on and customize.  They're like the 10/22 of motorcycles.  One of the pros can advise you better than me, but all I did with mine was drain the old gas and oil and soak the carb in seafoam.  It started right up and hasn't coughed or hiccupped, since.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 05/22/14 at 03:47:19

Sort of small. Light weight. Lots of torque. Tolerable handling. It's a single so it makes a different sound than just about everything else. Many people mistake it for a small Harley. Mechanically, it's a throwback to the early 70's and electrically to the late 70's.

You already know to check your tires and rubber seals.  I'd lube the cables.  Carb will probably have to be cleaned.  Change the oil. Drain the old gas.

When you do get it running, make sure it idles at 1,000 to 1,200 rpm or you won't get enough oil to the head.  Pic looks like you might need a seat. Don't leave the ignition on for a long time without the engine running. The electronic ignition will overheat.

Check out the things every savage newbie should know sticky. Take a look in the tech section. There is an index. Can find just about everything you would want to know in there. Many very knowledgeable and helpful people here will be glad to help however they can.

Have fun with it once you get it going.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/22/14 at 04:08:51

Rust in tank ?
I would pull it off and at least swish some gas around a bit to see what comes out.
Change the vac and vent tubes on the carb.
Pull the float bowl and check for crud ... if bad, then remove the carb for a tear down.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 05/22/14 at 06:00:35

Midee the allure to a lot of us older riders from the 60's and 70's is that it is a throwback. It takes us back to the days when the Brit bikes like the Beezers and Nortons were hot stuff. Plus there's the kick of riding something that's not a Harley wannabe.

Add to that the simplicity of the mechanicals and you've got a winner!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/22/14 at 07:04:52

I wanted a bike that was a single cylinder, air cooled, carb....all the stuff easy to work on and durable.  I plan on riding this bike a long time - so I didn't want radiator hoses, fuel injection and fancy stuff that was hard to repair and could leave you stranded with no chance of a quick repair.

I really like the way the big single runs on the local back roads.....and it can be made into a bike capable of interstate travel (gearing changes help).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/22/14 at 07:51:57

It is a cute little toy bike that not a whole lot of people in the USA ride.

It is an engineering throwback: Engine is mechanically a roughly 1961 Honda CL/CB other than the tower bedded camshaft (even the old Hondas had cam bearings), with a mid to late 1970s ignition system scabbed on. The rear brake is straight out of the 1930s, the front about 1969. The fork is a mid 60s at best. The rear shocks are functionally dead on for early 60s. Gas tank mimics 1950s racing tanks. Speedometer location is the same as a 1930s Big Twin. 15 inch rear tire screams 1970s chopper heyday, as does the stock buckhorn handlebar.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Midee1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/22/14 at 08:54:07

Thanks for all the replies and insight so far everyone.

I am certainly going to give it a mechanical once over before I try to fire it. Change all fluids and look the fuel system over. If she runs ok I'll change the tires (dryrotted) then i'll tear the forks down to change the seals and fluids, check all the bearings and scrub the crud off of all the aluminum. I'll go through the rear as well. Get her mechanically sound then teach the wife and kids to ride on her. Once they get comfy she will come down again for the cosmetic side.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 05/22/14 at 13:42:27

Make sure the petc0ck is a manual, most change out the zuki one with a yamaha raptor 660 and cap the vacuum on the carb.

Also since it is an 88, might want to look at the cam chain and tensioner.

Starter mod would be the next thing after the first two.... if you think it needs it, some don't.

Oh..and DON'T you ride it very far.....  LOL... as a former harley rider (and others) I ended up getting me one also.... to mod this coming winter after the meet with the fella's in june.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 05/22/14 at 14:02:58

Since the exhaust isn't stock, it may pay to post your jet sizes if you do strip the carb. I'm no expert and I ride strictly stock, the experts here say that re jetting is necessary after an exhaust mod. Be sure to buy the correct Raptor petcock, someone will post the correct part number, as there are several variants and some are a little small. The Shinko 140/90 rear tyre is a popular choice on this forum as is a certain grade of Shell Rotella engine oil. The experts will tell you which one.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/22/14 at 22:14:16

Rotella 15/40.. Has the goodies to keep the rockers & all such stuff "Up Top" happy & its cheap,,

Looks like you got as much comfort as the stock seat provides.

You may like the noise of that pipe, if its too loud to keep the peace with your neighbors youll find the HD Dyna muffler produces a healthy exhaust tone AND is easy to tune/jet the carb to.

YOur little Missfit has a few common, built in hassles. The petcock is a POS & the cam chain tensioner can cause an engine destruction. If the miles are approaching 15,000, its time to go look inside there,,Verslagen sells a modified tensioner that squeezes the last miles out of the cam chain AND prevents the tensioner from spitting its guts into the spinning gears..

If tinkering is your game, youve just embarked on a game you can win easily,.
Welcome to the forum.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midee1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/23/14 at 10:30:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/14 at 22:14:16:
Rotella 15/40.. Has the goodies to keep the rockers & all such stuff "Up Top" happy & its cheap,,

Looks like you got as much comfort as the stock seat provides.

You may like the noise of that pipe, if its too loud to keep the peace with your neighbors youll find the HD Dyna muffler produces a healthy exhaust tone AND is easy to tune/jet the carb to.

YOur little Missfit has a few common, built in hassles. The petcock is a POS & the cam chain tensioner can cause an engine destruction. If the miles are approaching 15,000, its time to go look inside there,,Verslagen sells a modified tensioner that squeezes the last miles out of the cam chain AND prevents the tensioner from spitting its guts into the spinning gears..

If tinkering is your game, youve just embarked on a game you can win easily,.
Welcome to the forum.,  

Thanks for the info.

Basically the wife will have all the comfort she needs. LOL it's her bike to learn on.

As far as the neighbors go I don't sweat that much. They all love me. I rode a 97 Ultra with straight pipes for a couple years and now I have a 86 EVO bagger with a Thunderheader. I've been there for 22 years so they pay me no nevermind.

I'll look into the petcock early on. I hate vacuum operated petcocks anyhow. As far as the cam chain tensioner she only has a little over 4700 miles on the clock but I will check it out none the less. I know what a cluster the cam chain tensioners are in the twin cams and i don't want any issues with the little lady getting out and breaking down.

Thanks for the welcome.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/24/14 at 04:51:36

Allure? For me I love the feel and sound of Thumpers, and the LS650 is the largest mass produced non-off road big single that is reliable and still in production making it easy to get maintenance parts for. I dig Royal Enfields too, and will probably pick one up some day  Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 05/26/14 at 02:55:09

Hi Midee, MPesc from Rome, Italy  Smiley

I also ride an '88, keep in mind it should be a 4-speed, so don't go looking for 5th gear  Cheesy

Mine came with narrow drag bars, they're great for splitting lanes & cush but stiff when you ride slowly around the neighborhood.
Maybe 20", maybe less.

The buckhorns I see may look nice, but I don't know how well they may be received by the family, they keep the wrists  and elbows in a  position which is slightly uncomfortable to many people.

I changed my bars to 32" drag bars, also known as speedway bars, and they're extremely comfortable.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:25:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › New to Savages...metrics in general

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.