Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chrome vs Firefox -- a browser head to head war (Read 264 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Chrome vs Firefox -- a browser head to head wa
Reply #15 - 05/30/14 at 08:41:40

Greg wrote on 05/27/14 at 14:48:54:
Yes, I trust MS more than Google. Especially when it comes to mobile apps. MS does not permit the vendors to see your email address and other stuff. Every Android app Dev gets all your info.

Greg,

I take it you own a Windows phone?    

"Every Android app Dev gets all your info"  Not every app takes your data, but quite a few do.   Some even pass it along to 3rd parties.  

Yup, shite happens.   It always will.

http://lifehacker.com/5715169/these-apps-are-rampantly-stealing-your-info-wit...

Google is (and has always been) real blunt about you using the internet on any device -- the way the net works you have zero expectation of people not being able to see who you are and where you are coming from location-wise.

And yes, Google is very good at what it does -- help you find things (such as purchase items and services).

I find that if I go looking for something, I get lots of it showing up in side bars ads everywhere no matter where I go -- gets irritating when just after I buy something I get side bar'd about a much better deal somewhere else.

Rule of thumb -- look for it and at it for at least a week to be sure you don't waste any money.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #16 - 05/30/14 at 10:05:16

OF, I'm not going to get into a pissing match over internet privacy. But to answer your question, no, I currently have an Android phone. A windows phone is my next purchase in June though.

So, because stuff happens, I should continue giving my privacy away? Do you ever wonder where your spam email comes from? A large part may be from the devs on Android. It won't happen with MS.

And I agree Google is good at what it does; collecting information and making money. As far as searching goes, I do it for a living. I flat out disagree that it is better than Bing. As a matter of fact, I think Google is worse than Bing. Google uses your past to predict which results you want. I don't know about you, but I don't search for the same stuff over and over. That's what bookmarks are for. Google also makes me use the asinine real language query to yield relevant results. Bing makes much better use of keyword searches. I don't ever look at the ads on top or side unless I am at work since that is part of my job. I have never been steered wrong with Bing. The only thing that Google does better is allow me to use the site: advanced search operator. I wish they all did that.

I also don't buy based on the lowest price. There is so much more to a purchase than that. I guess the greedy me generation and those that have converted need to save a dollar or two and give up service. I will buy local and American if possible before resorting to the internet.

And for those of you who shop on Amazon, I can tell you horror stories about how they are killing the small business with their predatory practices. Again, it is part of my job and I deal with it daily.

I think I forgot a part. Google is not very transparent about what they collect. You really need to dig in the agreement to find out. Why can't they just be up front? Why did they change their original "do no harm" business style to amassing the the largest database of people on the planet?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/30/14 at 10:16:29

No, I doubt we would ever really agree on very much right now since you LIKE and TRUST Microsoft and would actually prefer to have a Windows phone.

I get it that you think Google is the "do evil" devil incarnate, which is something Appleonians started up and the Windozians have continued right along.  

Since you are an ex-Androidian I guess we will have to listen carefully to your first hand experiences if you choose to share them.   I have never had a Windows phone.

But, I would like your honest impression on your new Windows phone when you get it.  

After you pay $$$ for a few MS apps from the MS app store and get them installed and working.   Once you get used to it and then start missing the Google services that are built into modern Android ......  that you no longer have.   Instead you will have Bing and Bing Services (for as much as you pay for that is).

I am an Androdian and an Appleonian and I do Linux and (reluctantly) Windows on PC/laptop platforms.    Never had a Windows phone though.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #18 - 05/30/14 at 15:31:14

I would be happy to share my experiences. My next paycheck (2 weeks) is when I plan on doing the phone thing.

And I think you misunderstood me OF. I don't particularly like or trust MS. I don't like or trust Google. I don't like or trust Amazon. And I hate and don't trust Apple. Basically, I don't like many companies and trust none. I do believe in using the best tool for the job and if all tools are equal, choosing the lesser priced one. If it weren't for one particular piece of software, I would use Ubuntu for my personal PC. I am not going to dual boot or run Wubi. I just don't have the space on the laptop. So I stick with Win7.

As far as MS goes, Win 8.x is a turd. Office 2013 is a turd. I am hoping my W8 experience isn't bad on the phone. Since the OS was built for mobile and adapted to desktop, I believe it will perform better there. I will say that W7/Office 2010 is very solid, stable, and reliable. There is no equivalent to Exchange/Outlook either. Part of my duties include managing our Server 2008/Exchange 2010 environment. However, we just added a second collocated Linux server at Rackspace. So, I do swing both ways. Smiley I just choose what works best in any given situation. I use both Excel and Calc at work. Depending on the task, one typically works better than the other. I installed Ubuntu on my buddy's netbook and desktop. It works better for him. He is experiencing an issue with one application, but it isn't used often so he lives with it. I also believe Ubuntu/LibreOffice is a solid and dependable combination. And the software repository that I thought I would hate I have actually come to love. Ubuntu isn't as strong as W7 on older laptops when it comes to having the correct driver for the wireless adapter. I can live with that since a cable solves the problem finding it.

As far as Google services, I do use YouTube on my personal stuff. I would never use Gmail or any of the "office" applications from them. Of course I have the Play store for my tablet and phone. Aside from that, I don't believe I use anything else so there is nothing to miss. I will continue with YouTube since Vevo is a distant second place. Again, best tool.

I can't cut the Android cord and I know it. My ROKU uses a modified version. My DVD player does as well. Heck, most of the set top boxes do. But they don't report back to Google who yes, I think started out awesome and turned evil. Bing has its limitations and I will use Google when needed. I don't typically use the advanced operators on my personal stuff unless I am trying to find something on SuzukiSavage. com.

And my belief in Exchange even has me using a cloud version for my personal email. There is nothing like it. And the control I have is almost that of my work Exchange environment. I have contacted their support when I began with them and it was the best support I have ever received from any big company. And by a mile.

As far as paying for apps on the phone, I try to do that with what I have now. I dislike ads and will always opt for the paid ad-free version. Unfortunately, the only game I play on my phone does not offer an ad free version but coincidentally, a paid version is available for the MS phone. And it's still only a buck.

So I guess I am saying that I am not an Apple fanboi, or MS fanboi, or Android fanboi. I use what I need to use to get the task done in an efficient manner. However, I do dislike giving up my data. When companies like Google know more about me that I know about me, I begin to worry. And I also hate when they think they know what I want, especially in a search query.

I am sorry for my disjointed rambling. It was a difficult day at the office and the stuff in my head is jumbled. And I meant no offense. I understand there are people who happily trade privacy for stuff. And that's cool. I am just not one of them.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 05/30/14 at 16:51:15

I think your response wasn't rambling at all,  it was very well written.

Which one of the OS candidates do you think is going to wind up being the one?

Or do you think we're going to continue to use a variety of OS / applications for the various things that we currently do.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 05/30/14 at 17:52:13

I'm not a fan of Google knowing my business either...(I hate that they forced me to link my Youtube to my Google)(painful, that was)... Grin...

Lately, I've been switching over to all kinds of new things... Linux, Opera,... and Bing is next...
I just tried it,.. and so far, it's giving me good results...
Thanks Greg... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 05/30/14 at 19:33:20

Here is the current rankings of the mobile OS world ranked by USAGE, not new sales.    This reflects what has been sold in the past and is still being used today.

Tablets and phones are grouped together if they use the same OS.

Windows does not use the same OS, so they have two separate listings.

It is clear that the Appleonians still rule on a historical basis, apparently, by a factor of 2x no less.

Wink

iOS                   58.26%
Android             25.28%
Java ME              8.86%
BlackBerry        3.23%
Symbian              2.23%
MS Phone              1.15%
Kindle              0.81%
Bada                      0.05%
MS Mobile        0.05%
Samsung              0.05%Wearables
BREW              0.01%
LG                    0.01%
HUAWEI              0.01%
ZTE                    0.00

The figures above reflect all phones that are in current use as a total cumulative produced over time since smart phones started, they do not reflect on what people are doing right now as they re-up their old phones with new ones or buy their very first smart phone (new users).

That answer as reflected below is quite different, showing that new users and re-uppers are picking Android by a very very large majority and apparently quite a few of the historical iPhone users are trying out Android this time around as well.  

iOS is only getting 14.8% of all current cell phone sales.    The total pie plate size of the new sales cell phone pie chart is doubling and tripling yearly and iOS simply isn't there in those sorts of numbers any more.   This gets worse as the years roll out.

Long term predicted sales are just that, and look sorta like this .....

At a whopping 80.2% of current sales, Android will soon overcome Apple in the historical usage metrics up top as well, since so many more Android phones are being cranked up now than Apple phones.

Windows has a very hard row to hoe since they started what 6-7 years late into the game and their adaptation percentages look to top out eventually at only 6.4% (based on this sites forecast model of course).

I like this prediction table, it says that them mysterious OTHERS, them folks we don't even know anything about at all right now are going to be the biggest growing section at 31% growth year on year going out into the future.

Truth is, they likely are right in that the future will be different than what we expect it would be.

Wearables are squaring off to take over a chunk of the cell phone functionality, with Samsung currently selling the first of such items right now as we speak.

What is new and hot is the key, and if new and hot is Android and Open Source (as it tends to be) then MS will never pick up much more than 3% to 7% of the total cell phone market.

At these very low levels, app makers and developers will not spend a lot of time on MS apps, since MS apps are not readily translatable across the board in the neat easy way that Apple iOS and Android apps seem to be in the non-MS app world.

Lastly, Intel has just very lately totally abandoned "x86 only" COMPLETELY and all designs on all their new mobile processors are designed to run Android now.

This recent change in processors to run on has got to play out against Windows phones eventually.

Huh

Now, if MS does a Windroid (android fork) will all their then new cell phone products be counted just like every other android fork is counted -- as android?

« Last Edit: 05/31/14 at 07:30:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #22 - 05/31/14 at 05:51:12

everything that I have read shows that Android is by far the leading product in sales.and although the OS will overcome, if it hasn't already, the iOS; the big difference is Android isn't one company where Apple owns the other one, so company wise, Apple still huge and probably unbeatable for a very long time. My thoughts pretty much reflect that of the table that Android is going to be the dominant operating system by a huge margin. Windows will probably drop out in the next year or 3 and Apple will play catch up making cheaper phones and end up where Microsoft is now. That's my prediction. I have no idea if it's accurate. As far as a desktop operating system, if Microsoft doesn't change windows 8 to something I think people really want, they're going to drop substantially. I think some the Linux flavors have a real good chance of becoming the de facto operating system. Such as the Ubuntu because of operating very much like Windows has prior to Windows 8. And that's what the people want. In the Internet industry Linux will still by far, I believe, keep the lead. As far as a small business servers go, until there is an exchange replacement I think Microsoft will dominate there and out of the office products, it is hard to beat the capabilities of Microsoft Office. It's easy to beat the price though. Smiley

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #23 - 05/31/14 at 06:11:38

and my last post in this one are both being done with the voice typing since using a mobile device for anything as long as a real pain in the butt to me. I sure hope Windows Phone does it better. I'm sure the Android could if I would store my voice in the clouds but I don't.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 05/31/14 at 07:01:31

Windows didn't even HAVE voice recognition until 8 months ago when Nokia did an independent deal with a voice company called TellMe to incorporate TellMe's voice product into Nokia's then current generation of Win phones (because MS had none at all and had no plans for any).

MS has since bought TellMe the company outright and MS'd it.

Here is Apple's Siri compared to MS TellMe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxVxPyldvsY

And here is an article on voice services in general, which covers all of them.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/siri-understands-intent-beats-google-vo...

"As you can see, as amazing as Windows Phone 7's TellMe technology is for communications and search, it doesn't go much further than that. There is no text to speech functionality, except within text messaging. There is a lot of work to do by Microsoft to compete with the others in voice, but they do have a solid foundation and a powerful technology with Tellme. As the folks at Pocketnow posted Windows Phone will eventually get functionality like Siri."

So, all of them have it, and all of them go about it slightly differently.   By keeping a continuously tuned custom voice file on each customer and constantly upgrading their main server software (where all translation takes place on all of them) Google is moving faster than the rest to put good working voice into all new features and to back flush it into full systems integration.  This is a very powerful approach.

Google + will actually put voice recognition and "GPS style" recommended paths & directions and combine that with current location mapping and verbal search instructions into an iPad 2 which does not even have GPS or the other hardware to do these tricks.  

Apple isn't happy since they were telling Appleonians they needed to go buy an iPad Air to get a dose of Siri and here comes Google backporting voice recognition into a iPad 2 product that doesn't even have the hardware to support it.

Grin   -- so you can see how some heavy main server support is important for good cell phone functionality going forward into an ever more complex future.

Roll Eyes    "Hey Google, find me the closest Tai restaurant that is still open."

But they all copy each others best tricks, and the gaps between them are getting smaller.   Some are just moving faster than the others.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #25 - 05/31/14 at 07:13:49

I did forget to say that my favorite phone OS was Symbian. I truly enjoyed my nokia phone. It did everything I wanted and it did it super fast and it never crashed. Today that might be different since I use my phone differently but at the time it was freaking awesome.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #26 - 05/31/14 at 07:15:06

I guess I have to figure out how well the voice stuff works. I do plan on demo in the phone pretty hard before making the purchase it is a huge shift for me. But all I really use it for is dictating her stuff like this because I can't type on such a small device. My thumbs just don't move that way. Smiley

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 05/31/14 at 07:19:21

So, you do use voice a good bit for posting.    So do I, unless there is a screen and a big keyboard I will just say it.   It is that much quicker.

And, even at my PC I freely admit I'd put a microphone out by my keyboard at my PC and "talk it in" then quickly fix if for the goofs as it is so much quicker to do it that way.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 05/31/14 at 07:24:55

Now, I got a question for everybody.

I know well what MS did to get its evil empire moniker (suing everybody, extorting millions by threatening to sue people, stealing intellectual property from Palto Alto labs, Apple, IBM & Netscape, MS Explorer being gut deep into XP's OS, stealing FOSS software, acting in restraint of trade, US Government anti-trust suits, being "government use banned" in Germany, China, France,  etc. etc. etc.)

What exactly did Google do to get its current evil empire horns?

Seriously, list some stuff please.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #29 - 05/31/14 at 08:24:10

I will open with this: At the Techonomy conference in 2010, Eric Schmidt predicted that "true transparency and no anonymity" is the way forward for the internet: "In a world of asynchronous threats it is too dangerous for there not to be some way to identify you. We need a [verified] name service for people. Governments will demand it."

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 16:27:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chrome vs Firefox -- a browser head to head war

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.