Send Topic Print
wiring to igniter (Read 75 times)
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

wiring to igniter
11/26/13 at 08:45:41

wiring to igniter.
when wiring to the igniter  ,  there is a Black wire coming from the starter solenoid (apparently to make a different timing for starting)  BUT -   is this to the starter  motor connection, the heavy wire , or should it be to the thin wire on the solenoid actuator?    I am worried the high amperage will be bad for the igniter, and having apparently fried one, I am rather cautious before starting up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: wiring to igniter
Reply #1 - 11/26/13 at 09:10:22

I would think that would be a small gage wire because the current thru there will be small... 50 mili amp range.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/26/13 at 09:15:59

From the wiring diagram in appears the black wire from the ignitor goes to the same terminal that the large starter wiire is connected to.

If you connect it to the smaller wire that supplies the energy to the solenoid....you will then be asking the control circuit to do more than it was designed to do.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #3 - 11/26/13 at 09:44:37

Looks like you are right.    I just wanted to completely sure , those igniters come expensive and a re hard to get in the UK -   I have had to send to Holland for mine.

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #4 - 11/27/13 at 08:33:47

Now , with  a  (almost) new igniter , it STILL will not make a spark. I have checked the wiring over and over.   The readings for the coil -

secondary, 18,000 ohms
primary, about 1 to 3 ohms, a bit low.    
but no spark.  

I have no idea what to do, try another coil?

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #5 - 11/28/13 at 10:55:39

I'm having the same problem,fried igniter and bought second hand one still no go,so I have purchased a third from US and will try that then if no spark then I will look at coil and if its not that then its time for the professionals ( Bodie and Doyle ) and more sodding expense - its a good thing I'm a multi-millionaire  Grin

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #6 - 11/28/13 at 11:35:23

Yes, I have ordered another coil, and see how I go from there.    I have never ever before fried a coil in a car or a bike. These are very small things, these modern ones.   and as for the igniter, you can't test it or take it to bits.   Otherwise I will press on with the rest of the bike and come back to it, or else take it to a professional.    at least with the old stuff, points and coils and things or magnetos, they weren't mysterious and didn't fry easily. BUT I have had it running once!     that is very annoying.

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #7 - 11/30/13 at 06:41:11

I have now fitted a new coil , and still have no spark. I can't think of what changed after I first had it running.     Now I don't really think there was anything wrong with the coil anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:37:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wiring to igniter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.