Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
where to start with VM36 tune (Read 443 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

where to start with VM36 tune
11/03/13 at 01:03:22

Hi guys,

I've got my bike running with one of Lancers VM36 with UFO, got it started today. Started fine but I think it's running a bit rich as I get a puff of black smoke when I blip throttle.. and it runs on a bit, like revs high and slowly comes down when I blip throttle.

I haven't messed with carbs before so not sure what I'm doing. There is a air screw on the right and a idle screw with a spring on the left.. or is it the other way around.

the other thing is it only starts and runs with the choke down. If I have it up it won't start and if I put it up whilst running it dies. That can't be right?

Any tips welcome  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: where to start with VM36 tune
Reply #1 - 11/03/13 at 04:27:37

Email sent in response to your questions before I saw your post here

IP Logged
Alcohie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Onalaska, Texas
Reply #2 - 11/03/13 at 10:44:28

Lancer, just shot u an email, I am having to same problems as savagebob

IP Logged
Alcohie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Onalaska, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/04/13 at 07:22:05

Did u get your carb adjusted properly? If so could u explain what u had to do because I am in the same boat as u right now

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/04/13 at 12:15:07

No.. I'm a total newb to carbs.

Mine won't run with the enricher lever up so I think the primary jet is too small. Playing with the air screw doesn't make any difference.

So.. now just to figure out how to change the primary jet I suppose?  Undecided

I thought there would be heaps of people with VM36 carbs around who'd know where to start.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/04/13 at 12:43:22

I have a VM 36 and it runs great......and it just took a bit of jet changes and tweaking.  It did run well right out of the box with the jetting that Lancer provided.

I don't have the UFO and have a standard slide, and I don't have the Dial a Jet either.  I just went "Old School" so I could Keep It Simple Stupid.  It may run better with the UFO installed and set up properly - but I have no experience with that.  I do have a UFO slide that I can try....but it runs so well right now I am just riding and enjyoying the scenery.....I hate to take it apart and start messing around with so few good weather days left in this year.

Lancer most likely set it up with the proper jetting for the UFO.....which I believe needs little or no pilot jet to run properly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Alcohie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Onalaska, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/04/13 at 13:30:33

Ok I will let u know how and what I do to get it right if and when I do

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/04/13 at 13:31:42

From what I understand it, the fuel enricher uses completely different fuel suppy. So the fact my bike runs on these but not when the enricher is off seems to me that the primary isn't supplying enough fuel?

IP Logged
Alcohie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Onalaska, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/04/13 at 14:48:56

Ok just did mine, the needle clip was in the second slot from the top, I left it there, checked the pilot and it was a 10 so changed it to 15, the small screw on the  right side from the back of the carb is the mixture screw set it at 1.5 turns, reinstall carb if using stock petcock turn to prime and leave it there, make sure idle screw is backed out,  choke down, start, adjust idle let warm up a litttle,choke up, should idle now, still more tweaking to be done but should get u to idle without choke I had to adjust mixture in a half turn to get it to quit sputtering when giving throttle not perfect but its better then where I was, now I will get with lancer to find out what next. Good luck Also I am running a mac muffler and kn cone filter so your settings might be a little different then.mine depending on the what mods if u have any questions feel free to ask

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/04/13 at 18:11:45

yeah.. so, what is the needle clip and how do I adjust that? (I really don't know anything about carbs!)

mixture screw is on right side of carb when your sitting on bike right? idle is the one with the spring?

I'm running a 1.5" custom header pipe with BCB drag pipe and no air filter at the moment.  Cheesy Oh and I'm at sea level.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: 11/05/13 at 02:28:28 by savagebob »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 11/05/13 at 02:32:18

The needle is #9 and the needle clip is #8.
The dark section at the top of the needle is the area with 5 grooves that the clip goes in.  The top groove is the leanest position and the bottom groove is the richest setting.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/05/13 at 14:36:59

Cool, so you'd suggest changing the needle jet settings AND the primary jet one size bigger?

IP Logged
Alcohie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Onalaska, Texas
Reply #12 - 11/05/13 at 14:42:26

I had to go 3 sizes bigger on my pilot jet, I am at 17.5 on the pilot, the needle settings stayed the same as it was in the second slot from the top

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/05/13 at 17:08:49

How does it run though? From your previous post it sounded like you'd achieved an idle but it was rough from there. I think Lancer suggests changing both the primary to achieve idle and the needle to achieve more fuel from there..

IP Logged
Alcohie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Onalaska, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/05/13 at 18:05:27

Its running good, cant tell you as far as driving because not in driveable condtion but idle and reving is good

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:21:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › where to start with VM36 tune

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.