Need for Speed! (Read 540 times)
dcubansavage
YaBB Newbies

I think therefore I
dont know!

Coconut Grove, Florida
Need for Speed!
07/24/13 at 21:13:58

Today for the first time I decided to take my '99 Savage past 70mph but when I hit around 75mph it turned off completely (my speedometer goes up to 100mph). I pulled over on the side of the highway and it started right up so I tried again and the same thing happened. Can anyone tell me what may be happening?

Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Need for Speed!
Reply #1 - 07/24/13 at 21:50:43

It may be Raptor time....
When you go full throttle, and hold it... engine vacuum drops very low... and your petcock is vacuum operated...
Switching to a manual, Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock allows flow at all vacuum levels...
Read here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

It's also a write-up in the Tech section of Rider magazine August issue 2013...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 07/24/13 at 22:29:33

Remember a stock bike will only do 87 to 92 mph anyway. To get to a genuine 100mph will probably take much tuning. Make sure you get a 660 Raptor for a motorbike and not a smaller quad. there are different outlet sizes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/25/13 at 04:43:58

The Raptor petcock we recommend is the original Yamaha part number 5LP-24500-01.  You can get it from your dealer, Ron Ayers, Bike Bandit....or even eBay as long as you see the part number and a white box from Yamaha with the part number on it.  A lot of eBay sellers have chinese copies and the outlet is smaller.  These smaller outlets may flow a bit less, and make it so your stock fuel hose and clamps will not adequately seal and you will have a leak unless you use a screw clamp or a smaller hose.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/25/13 at 04:54:22

Youre being given for free an education that was paid for by others ahead of you. Ive seen guys buy the part & then have pain because of the size of connectors. Check w/ a local dealer, look online, consider freight & wait time, I went to the dealer so I could see the thing & know I was getting what I needed, coulda saved 3 or 4 bux online,, meeehh,, for the peace of mind & to spend my $$$ locally, & no waiting, went to town & took my old petcock, I knew I had what I needed,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 07/25/13 at 05:22:45

dcubansavage wrote on 07/24/13 at 21:13:58:
Today for the first time I decided to take my '99 Savage past 70mph but when I hit around 75mph it turned off ....
If it is the petcock it is easy to check -- switch to prime.  When you hit 85 you know you have the problem and the fix is easy.

WWW   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 07/25/13 at 06:10:10

Exact symptoms of my failing vac petcock.  I did not know I had a problem until I was on a day trip with friends.  We were running about 65mph into a 20mph headwind.  The engine was working hard and engine vacuum was very low.  I didn't get any sputtering or anything, I got a hard engine kill, just like needing to go to reserve.  I suspected the vac sucker because I had an almost full tank of gas.  Switched to prime on the fly and the bike immediately began firing again.  

I would switch back to "on" and within about 5 miles, it would happen again.  I finished the ride on prime, keeping close tabs on my mileage so my lack of a reserve wouldn't cause a problem.

IP Logged
dcubansavage
YaBB Newbies

I think therefore I
dont know!

Coconut Grove, Florida
Reply #7 - 07/25/13 at 17:44:04

Thank you all so very much. This bike has really been so reliable even after I crashed it (someone made an illegal u-turn in font of me as I was switching lanes) and I do not have the funds so fix right now. Thanks to u guys I'm saving money and will just keep it under 70 mph until I can afford the Raptor Petcock. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #8 - 07/25/13 at 19:11:57

Yeah, the Raptor Petcock helped my motorcycle too and it was super easy to install!   Smiley

IP Logged
dcubansavage
YaBB Newbies

I think therefore I
dont know!

Coconut Grove, Florida
Reply #9 - 07/26/13 at 15:03:49

Does it matter what year the Raptor Petcock 660 is? My bike is a '99 and the ones I see for sale say Raptor Petcock 660 2001-2006.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/26/13 at 17:10:45

I walked into the shop with my petcock. Told them I needed a raptor 600 petcock. it hit the counter. i compared,, paid about 23 bucks, no drama, no worries, no waiting, how much you gonna save online?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/26/13 at 17:23:13

All years of Raptor 660 petcocks are the same... just make sure it's for a 660... not a 350 or 250... and buy factory... not a Chinese knock-off...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/27/13 at 08:15:23

dcubansavage wrote on 07/26/13 at 15:03:49:
Does it matter what year the Raptor Petcock 660 is? My bike is a '99 and the ones I see for sale say Raptor Petcock 660 2001-2006.

Get this one.....seriously.  If it has no part number, or a different part number....walk away and go find the right one.

Yamaha part number 5LP-24500-01.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #13 - 07/28/13 at 07:46:52

I ordered the Yamaha P/N 5LP-24500-01 locally and it bolted right up no issues.  It cost me $26.00 at the stealership, just like JOG & Dave said no worries about whether it was the right part or not.  Took all of 30 minutes to install.

IP Logged
dcubansavage
YaBB Newbies

I think therefore I
dont know!

Coconut Grove, Florida
Reply #14 - 08/01/13 at 17:22:32

Just ordered the OEM part# 5LP-24500-01from a local dealer (no speed limit, miami, fl) and it should arrive by Monday. I will install and run it soon thereafter. I will update as soon as I get my results. Thanks again everyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 18:33:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need for Speed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.